Lids on seeds

• 8 Replies

rainie

Lids on seeds
« on: February 27, 2011, 14:11 »
Is there a general rule for putting a lid or sheet of glass over a tray of seeds that are just sown?

Do some need lids and some not? If so, which?

When do lids come off, do they go back on at night?
Or do they stay off?

When do lids come off?

If lids are off, does gh need heat? Or maybe a sheet of bubblewrap layed over them?

Lots of questions, sorry, but if i dont ask, i wont learn.
Be a first rate version of yourself, not a second rate version of someone else.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Lids on seeds
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 14:31 »
The way I do it:
put lids or polybags over anything that I'm sowing indoors, and they come off as soon as the seeds have germinated, and stay off.

Once they've made it to the (cold) greenhouse they continue lidless.
Stuff I start out in the greenhouse is lidless from the beginning, cos they be hardy stuff :)

When I finally put the toms and peppers out, in mid April (usually, but depends on the weather ::) ) I make a polytunnel over the canes down each side if frost is forecast. and then take it off again in the morning :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 16:43 »
As has been said, lid them until germinated. Remove afterwards to encourage a good airflow and prevent damping-off. I would also water with Cheshunt compound on sowing to help prevent this happening.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 16:53 »
Cheshunt compound has been withdrawn from sale and in fact becomes illegal to use after 30.11.11.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help-advice/Garden-chemicals-and-pesticides/Chemicals

Can we please not resurrect the usual agruments.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

rainie

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 17:23 »
Thanks all, thats good clear info. Lids are off germinated seeds! Now i know.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 19:02 »
I take a slightly different view.

I have lids on my 1/4 sized propagator trays. I used to use clear plastic bags before I had a propagator.

At germination I open the little vent fully.  I leave the lids on for at least two more days (depending on how the seedlings are doing). I find that many that have germinated have not got their roots down properly, so I want to keep them humid and not stress them (until they have a strong root).

However, the lid is stealing some light strength - on a windowsill the light is only from one direction, has come through both panes of double glazing, and the clear plastic seed-tray lid ... so I am very conscious of the left and stem growth of the seedlings.  This year has been particularly bad as light levels have been lower than normal, and my seedlings are noticeably more leggy than normal. I put a strip-light above then on for 8 hours during the night to try to help them a bit. If your light is good (e.g. in a greenhouse) I would be inclined to leave the lids for a couple of day to provide humid conditions for a bit longer.

Damping Off is a threat, but I don't sow my seed "forest thick" and I think that helps reduce the risk. I also only water seedlings with tap water - which doesn't have the muck off the roof that rain water has. I also only water from the bottom (put seed-tray in a  bowl of tepid water for 10 minutes, then let drain. I don't water at all until germinated (the lid prevents evaporation), and thereafter I don't "dunk" more than once a week at this time of the year

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 19:22 »
Cheshunt compound has been withdrawn from sale and in fact becomes illegal to use after 30.11.11.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help-advice/Garden-chemicals-and-pesticides/Chemicals

Can we please not resurrect the usual agruments.

Not wanting to cause any arguments or do anything illegal, but I am a bit confused by this.
My local Garden centre still have it for sale, I bought some only yesterday morning.

Scrolling down to the bottom of the link and clicking on Fungicides, it seems to be still recomending Cheshunt Compound for damping off of seedlings. I might be reading it wrong, but it is definatley still on the shelves of the Garden Centre.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 19:33 »
If you Google "Cheshunt Compound" & try & follow the links to buy some, they invariably come up as "out of stock", "currently unavailble" or simply a blind link.

ebay have but one solitary tin which may have slipped through the net, you'd expect there to be a lot of sellers.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 20:40 »
Full details re Cheshunt Compound:

Last date for sale by the approval holder (Bayer) = 31 May 2010
Last date for sale by others than the approval holder = 30 November 2010
Last date for use = 30 November 2011.

So it is no longer legal to sell it.  Yorky's garden centre is breaking the law.

You have until end of November this year to store and use it.  Beyond that date, its licence is revoked and it is illegal to either store or use it.

https://secure.pesticides.gov.uk/garden/getfullproduct.asp?productid=19754&pageno=1#notes
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 20:41 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Any difference with courgette seeds & butternut squash seeds?!

Started by courgette on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 06, 2009, 19:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Which seeds?

Started by Raven81 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 12, 2011, 18:44
by Yorkie
xx
Help with seeds please

Started by wellieboots on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post April 02, 2013, 20:24
by wellieboots
xx
Hi...and help! (seeds)

Started by Viv_Logan on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post March 20, 2016, 10:06
by harry

Page created in 0.599 seconds with 30 queries.