Plastic green houses - worth it or not?

• 33 Replies

bailey

• Experienced Member
Re: Plastic green houses - worth it or not?
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2011, 20:10 »
I have 30 ft poly which as collapsed to the snow,, a farmer friend as also lost his poly, majority of his large glass house and an old barn to the weather.. my point is unless you look after these things, site them properly, maintain them ect they will fail in the end, compare 30 quid to my friends 4k repair bill just to his glass house which is only 8-9 years old..

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2011, 21:56 »
About 4 or 5 yrs ago my first mini plastic greenhouse was a Gardman, it broke during construction  >:(.  I then bought a metal framed / 3 tier mini greenhouse on castors with brakes, half price (£20) from B&Q.

After a few months, the zip on one side, gradually frayed away from the plastic cover. We "repaired" it with duck tape, which lasted briefly.

Despite this, it has never blown over, moved, but never toppled. Never lost me any seedlings etc. I keep my bags of compost in the bottom & it still serves me well. It is larger than the av mini greenhouse & a different design. If I could replace the now perishing cover, as the shelves & frame are still sound, it would be perfick!  :D :lol:

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2011, 23:00 »
I seem to have brought up a touchy subject, sorry guys. 

I didnt have much time this morning but i should have said i have had them in the past in my garden but due to a creeping fire next door melted them both before i had a chance to grow anything.  The one i have left is in great nick (3 years later, couple of minor holes from embers and a mini rip in the zip) but is used only as storage due to its placement in the shade.

I wish i could have a greenhouse but i wouldnt be able to put one up on my own and although i have considered a poly i would fear for its safety with local vandals.  I guess its as with anything one of those try it and sees.  I do think they have their place though although obviously having never grown using one properly thats abit of an unfair comment from me  :D

Thanks for the suggestions anyway

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: February 11, 2011, 23:28 »
Not touchy at all Mazzie; this has been an interesting and open discussion about your question (you would know if it had got nasty because it would have been "locked" by now to avoid further bloodshed!)   :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
poly tunnels / green houses

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2007, 16:57
by new_2_veg
xx
Are green manures worth it?

Started by totalnovice on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 17:16
by bayleaf
xx
Green plastic pop bottles

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 19:54
by mashbintater
xx
green house...( plastic windows )

Started by veggies on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 22:54
by veggies

Page created in 1.042 seconds with 37 queries.