green house...( plastic windows )

• 6 Replies

veggies

green house...( plastic windows )
« on: February 28, 2010, 13:27 »
Hello, i am going to buy a green house soon, I have seen a 6x4 with plastic glass from B&Q for 160.00 quid, ( I would want poss a 6x6 or 6x8).... will this glass/plastic be ok ie will it keep the heat in etc. still unsure what to grow, we like toms, spring onions, lettuce, etc could these be grow, I have grew toms before about 12/13 yrs ago and had around 10 plants. cheers for any info Paul

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: green house...( plastic windows )
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 13:58 »
I have one bought from Norfolk Greenhouses.(prices are about the same when you include delivery) and it has been great
I grow tomatoes, aubergines, peppers, chillies and cucumbers in mine...but they are all started off indoors on the window ledge, cos it is too expensive to keep a  greenhouse frost free nowadays  :(

nobby90

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 19:19 »
This time of year you can use bubble rap inside to give your green house some extra insulation.  However in summer the main problem is trying to keep a green house cool and not let it get over hot.

NigelB

• Experienced Member
    • Pictures from the garden and greenhouse..
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 09:22 »
Hello, i am going to buy a green house soon, I have seen a 6x4 with plastic glass from B&Q for 160.00 quid, ( I would want poss a 6x6 or 6x8).... will this glass/plastic be ok ie will it keep the heat in etc. still unsure what to grow, we like toms, spring onions, lettuce, etc could these be grow, I have grew toms before about 12/13 yrs ago and had around 10 plants. cheers for any info Paul

It will be interesting to see how well those blown-plastic panes hold up to winds Veggies.
Quite thin aren't they? ... And while they may stand a gust or two from the outside, I particularly wonder how well they'll do when a door or window is open and it gets a little gusty.
That said, your spring onions and such can go outside happily enough, and lettuce too soon. Keep the greenhouse for your toms, cucumbers, or aubergines and similar, less hardy plants.
Good luck with it all. :)

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 15:23 »
The site im on gets a bit of wind and any plastic sheets in greenhouses just get blown out,one side of my roof had plastic sheets in and they went never to be seen again,the rest were glass and the odd one has blown out over the years but not too many.

nobby90

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 19:12 »
saw a show Greenhouse in B&Q today fitted with polycarbonate Windows.  They looked thicker than others I have seen.  Looked very good if you have a fear of get broken windows.  As for blown away with wind, should be easy to use a bit of fruit netting over them.

veggies

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 22:54 »
Thanks for all the replies, unsure now what to buy...ant ideas who is selling the best for around 200.00 and a size would be good thanks Paul....

xx
Green plastic pop bottles

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 19:54
by mashbintater
xx
Plastic green houses - worth it or not?

Started by Mazzie on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 23:28
by JayG
xx
GREEN HOUSE

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 22:05
by agapanthus
xx
green house?

Started by TINTIN on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 25, 2008, 10:13
by TINTIN

Page created in 0.718 seconds with 38 queries.