Plastic green houses - worth it or not?

• 33 Replies

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
Plastic green houses - worth it or not?
« on: February 11, 2011, 09:28 »
I cant make up my mind to be honest and i need some opinions  :)

What sort if any of success have you had using them? 

savbo

Re: Plastic green houses - worth it or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 09:32 »
I guess by this you mean the walk-in flexible cover ones...lots of previous threads on this if you do a search...

general consensus seems to be they are handy but are flimsy and susceptible to wind damage, and the covers only last a season or 2.

So you need to think whether spending more on a 2x4 rigid polycarb is better in the long run

Savbo

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 09:45 »
I bought a 6x4ft Gardman walk-in one for about £60 about few years ago, put it on the allotment (not terribly sheltered) and it is still doing ok. Bought extra guy ropes etc to "secure it" further. It got a couple of little tears that were easy to mend last year but that is that. I also got a free spare cover from them when I ordered which I have not yet needed to use

They are not as good as greenhouses - which I now have on the plot - but they do the trick if you look after it, remember to open/close it frequently etc. I have got so much good produce out of it the last 3 years. But now I am giving it to a neighbouring plot holder.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 11:12 »
This is something that we have been considering, though not for the plot, we're going to put it here in the back garden.

There are several on ebay and we've weeded out one that looks good, has a 12 month warranty, and Ive asked several questions of the seller and he/she's been very good so far.

Yes there's several threads on here already and yes the general concensus is that they are either flimsy as heck or might last a season or two.

Thing is, we're still going to get one and avoid some of the common mistakes that some seem to make.

It seems that many that say that it blew away or blew over didn't secure it correctly. i.e. some have used paving slabs on the edges etc when they are supposed to be trenched properly into the ground.
The wind will be a factor, however, if its held by slabs the to and fro of the plastic will rub on the slab and wear and rip or possibly the plastic will shift to a degree under the slabs.

So, we'll trench ours in as they are supposed to be.

Additionally if there are points where its supposed to have guy lines they should be used.

Then if you look at the dates of some of the threads they are a few years old, polytunnels and plastic type houses had thinner plastic and much thinner tubes where they used to be half millimetre many of the better ones are 1mm metal and inherantly stronger.

Then of course there is the cost.

I simply cannot afford a 6 x 8 foot glass greenhouse, the cheapest Ive seen is £300 odd.

Frankly, even if i had to replace the ebay 4m x 2m polyhouse every year it would be 5/6 years before I was financially worse off! And that's not taking into account a galvanised base for the glass greenhouse (£150ish) as well as if it's going to be put on a patio.

So for me, Im willing to take the chance on one of these as it's all I can afford especially when its one sixth the price and twice the size.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 11:48 »
Mine had 1mm metal in19mm tube frames and connections and still broke in the wind  :(
The plastic lasted only a year before it went into holes on the roof, not at the bottom :(
It only had about a ft, 18inches at most of plastic to trench, so this did not provide efficient anchorage :(

It wasn't all down to operator error you know  :nowink:

I hope your one will be of much better quality, and, as you say it makes sense financially for you  :)

plum crumble

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 11:55 »
I had the same experience as you mum - lot of weakness around the zip areas too - so ok for very sheltered part of garden, but certainly not the lottie. My plot is in the middle of the site, so nowhere near any sheltering hedges
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

savbo

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 12:03 »
I've mentioned this in other threads but I got a near-mint 6x6 glass greenhouse off ebay for £100 (with staging and 2 cold frames thrown in). It's a delight to use and won't blow away and will last a lifetime....I was going to pay £30 for a 6x4 walk-in  and am very glad I didn't...

Ma and Pa Snip

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 12:03 »
We've had various plastic mini greenhouses / frames over the years.  We have not tried the walk in sized ones though.

I would stress that ours have been for use in the back garden rather than on an allotment. Even there we have had to make sure they are well secured.

They don't last as long as a glass based unit but does that come as a surprise.

They have served us well, the biggest problem has tended to be where to store the covers properly in winter.

Yes they do tear and break up eventually, but we don't regret buying them one bit.

Most consistant problem we have found with them is Zips breaking or tearing on the seam.

Unless otherwise stated it can be assumed ALL posts are by Pa Snip

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 12:16 »
The covers seem to last about 3 years in my windy back garden.  Just bought a new cover for about £14 from memory  from homeb_se.  It is a about 6 feet long, 6 feet high and 4 feet across.  The parts that split seem to be where the plastic rubs on the frame at the top corners.  I intend therefore to use duct tape/gaffer tape on the inside of the plastic cover this time to give it more of a chance of lasting longer.  Mine just sits on the patio and is only kept down with the guy ropes, hence it may get more damage due to the wind getting inside and "blowing it up"! :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 12:22 »
Bottom line is they are not fit for the purpose for which they are sold, as everyone seems to have to take extra precautions against the wind or do continual running repairs.

I feel a bit sorry for those who are not fore-warned by postings such as this, who will be buying an expensive kite.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

plum crumble

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 12:28 »
........a kite with integral chilli plants.....

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:33 »
I used to have one and it was very handy but my cat decided to sun herself on top of it and fell right through decimating all my beautiful seedlings.  :lol: Thay are not too strong but you can make do with them.

harry

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 12:37 »
I've had a lot of the cheaper version of these plastic greenhouses and in my experiance they rarely last more than a season, I certainley wouldn't chance one on my allotment. :nowink:
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

digalotty

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 12:46 »

it depends on what you want from it i have got one although i have not put it up yet ,   my plan is to erect the frame and tape the joints to stop them moving apart and then put the cover on and take it off when the time comes at the end of the season .
and the frame can stay over winter this i feel will help conserve the plastic ,  as i only paid £30 for the green 6x4 ribbed style i will be over the moon if i get 2 good seasons of lovely toms .
my neighbour has the clotch style 6x4 base they leave it over winter as its not as tall as a standard greenhouse so less wind damage .
i have also considered using a fence panel pinned to two larch poles as a screen to help shelter it ,   if you have it at home this could be a good idea
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

chrisnchris

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 13:13 »
I've had one for 3 yrs, although I'm not sure if it's what you mean.
It's 6'x2' has an alloy frame but the "glass" is plastic, quite rigid, like the stuff they make poor quality corrugated sheet from :D
It has a sliding door & little gutters, the outlets will take a hose that you can run into a barrel.
The frame isn't plastic coated, but extruded aluminium those that are, I think are made from very poor quality "steel" Once moisture has got behind the plastic....it's ta ta to the frame.

I bought it on a whim from one of the "sheds" it cost me the grand sum of £19.99 & it's absolutely great.
I put down some 18"x18" slabs, screwed some 2"x2" to the slabs all round & fixed the frame to that. It won't blow over  :)

It takes 2 grow bags for tomatoes.

I have made wooden staging for the winter, 4 levels.
I have to take out an end panel to get the 6' lengths inside, but that's easy enough. they're fixed in with a plastic strip. Eventually this will fail though, the plastic will become brittle.

I doubt you will buy one for that price...it was one of their "once it's gone, it's gone" deals.

At the same time I bought a leaf blower & a lawn scarrifier...both at the same price  :D

Once I get organised I will upgrade to glass, but for now it's perfect

xx
poly tunnels / green houses

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2007, 16:57
by new_2_veg
xx
Are green manures worth it?

Started by totalnovice on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 21, 2011, 17:16
by bayleaf
xx
Green plastic pop bottles

Started by mashbintater on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 10, 2011, 19:54
by mashbintater
xx
green house...( plastic windows )

Started by veggies on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 01, 2010, 22:54
by veggies

Page created in 0.485 seconds with 30 queries.