Potatoes 2011: which varieties are you NOT growing

• 26 Replies

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Potatoes 2011: which varieties are you NOT growing
« on: February 04, 2011, 09:55 »
If folk would like to say what varieties they have grown before, but are not growing any more, I will summarise here.

If you are not growing a variety because of hearsay that would be of interest too.

I grew Pentland Javelin and Arran Pilot a few years ago, and we preferred Arran Pilot (flavour, and it was very early) - so not grown PJ's since, and on another forum folk were also saying they didn't like PJ's ... but I see it is very popular here, so I might try them again next year.

Not that impressed with Foremost, and have grown Smile and Aphrodite which did not do much so have not grown them again.

I have not grown International Kidney on hearsay that it does not taste of anything special (and not to assume it will taste like Jersey Royals as that requires the climate , soil, and seaweed :) of Jersey)

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
Re: Potatoes 2011: which varieties are you NOT growing
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 10:03 »
i am NOT grwing international kidney this year, tried them last year and they grew fine but turned to mush on cooking even when steamed

VirginVegGrower

• Experienced Member
  • Green fingers come from brown first...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:05 »
Not growing King Edwards as they boil down too much for me.
Supporting British farmers and growers ...it's never too late to start

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 10:58 »
International Kidney were a huge disappointment; didn't realise at the time that the unique taste comes from the unique growing conditions in Jersey (mind you I sometimes find that the taste is lacking in the "real thing" too; not consistent at all IMO.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 11:24 »
not growing king edwards again (tried twice now) as they seem to end up as slug food
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 11:28 »
Golden Wonder & Isle of Jura have attracted the slugs in the past, as did Rooster last year, so won't be bothering with those again.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 11:30 »
i am NOT grwing international kidney this year, tried them last year and they grew fine but turned to mush on cooking even when steamed

My International Kidney were fabulous last year.  Just like the real thing :D

digalotty

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 11:48 »
swift is a no no for me as they just end up as slug fodder,  foremost i grew last time was a poor yield and that put me off doing them again pj,s are always a decent crop and not a bad spud in general so i like them .
i did find my king edwards mushy at first but they tended to get better the longer i had them so i would grow again as a keeper
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Chicken Pete

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2011, 12:49 »
Disappointed to read that Froemost is not a recommended potato as I have just brought them after being recommended!!!!!!!!!!!
We used to grow Swift,Yukon gold,Charlotte,King Edward but the yields were disappointing.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2011, 13:30 »
If you can't grow Charlotte, something is wrong!

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2011, 13:38 »
I grew Kestrel but had a disappointing crop and they weren't that flavoursome, so not growing them this year.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 13:58 »
All but Pentland Javlin (will come to this in a min) and Romano.

So the PJ's, well I have found them to grow really well on my beach and are not that affected by scab which is rampant if grown on a beach, a few years ago I put 6 early flavours in, did a blind taste test amongst family, neighbours and friends and PJ was by far voted the best, in fact out of about 20 or so tasters, only one person prefered Swift, everyone one else prefered PJ!
I would think its subjective, for instance if grown in sandy soil with donkey cack (as I do) I suspect the flavour would be a little different than grown on heavy clay with horse cack, cack def smells different between Blackpool donkeys and horses.

I tried Cara, but found the slugs love them as did scab. Over the years I have tried pretty much all with very mixed results.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Muddylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 17:50 »
Have grown Romano, Kestrel, Lady Chrystle and some other varieties with no problems. The Lady Balfour I grew last year however, gave me a huge crop but vast majority were hammered by wire worm, so never again for these.

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 18:08 »
not growing King Eds turn to mush on boiling, Premiere 1st earlies mushy and tasteless or Maris Piper mushy >:(

JohnB47

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 18:48 »
Not growing Maris Bard or Vanessa again - good crop but tasteless. Wondering whether to grow Picasso again this year - got a really great crop last year, quantity wise, but riddled with wireworm.

Someone mentioned King Edwards - I had fair success two years ago but last years did boil down to mush if not watched. Someone said that this was because of the long dry summer we had last year. Still, the crop (quantity and individual spud size) has been dissapointing in both years.

question
Tomatoes 2011: which varieties are you NOT growing

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post February 07, 2011, 12:53
by totalnovice
xx
Maincrop Potatoes 2011 - What are you growing?

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

58 Replies
Last post April 10, 2011, 00:04
by Marston
xx
First Early Potatoes 2011 - What are you growing?

Started by TheSpartacat on Grow Your Own

74 Replies
Last post April 27, 2011, 13:55
by mumofstig
xx
Which potato varieties have you grown this year - 2011?

Started by arugula on Grow Your Own

83 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 22:50
by hanssg

Page created in 0.614 seconds with 37 queries.