Head shaking question from newbie

• 18 Replies

inchhighfly

Re: Head shaking question from newbie
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2011, 09:20 »
I wondered about wild birds..........we have a magpie problem - always stealing food but luckily not eggs yet.  My vet suggested that he still thought itt was an infection so we put them on Bytril and lo and behold the head shaking is becomig less. So fingers crossed......

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2011, 13:05 »
We have a similar problem with a number out of our flock of 12 girls head shaking a quick flick every few minutes like a nervous tick.  Have asked a number of times about in on this forum and never got to the bottom of the problem.  If ivermectin will help please advise which product as there are many on the market and how many drops to use?  thanks alison

hillfooter

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2011, 13:58 »
We have a similar problem with a number out of our flock of 12 girls head shaking a quick flick every few minutes like a nervous tick.  Have asked a number of times about in on this forum and never got to the bottom of the problem.  If ivermectin will help please advise which product as there are many on the market and how many drops to use?  thanks alison

A head flick every few minutes isn't unusual and doesn't keep medicaton unless ear mites or other parasite is indicated.  When birds are being observant thay will flick their heads more often. Talking to them will increase this behaviour.  I think it is related to the fact they don't have binocular vision so need to change their viewing angle regularly to get an all round vision.
HF
Truth through science.

inchhighfly

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 13:04 »
Thanks for all your input with this - my vet put them on Baytril and at last the head shaking has stopped (much to my husbands relief, he got very bored with me going on about this!) The  cockerels however do this head weaving thing - I'm sure someone mentioned this earlier - is this normal?

xx
shaking head

Started by bee on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 01, 2010, 17:54
by bee
xx
Head shaking - don't know why?

Started by alisonwo on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 18:42
by alisonwo
xx
Head shaking??

Started by Carla on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 11, 2011, 13:45
by Carla
xx
head shaking

Started by animartco on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post August 13, 2010, 23:07
by henamoured

Page created in 0.259 seconds with 28 queries.