How long until fertilty is affected?

• 9 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
How long until fertilty is affected?
« on: February 02, 2011, 12:09 »
I bought 6 eggs of 2 different ebay sellers last Tuesday, both were posted last Wednesday. I havent recivced either parcel. How long until fertility is affected by being left unsat or incubated. I know theres no guarentees after going through the postal system anyway, but they have been sat for a week now which reduces the chances of a decent hatch rate even further.

Casey76

Re: How long until fertilty is affected?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 12:21 »
Fertility starts reducing 7 days after they've been layed.

Were the eggs sent special delivery, or are they trackable?  I would have thought even for 1st class a week is a long time!

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:26 »
1 of them is trackable, and the seller has given me the number, I have checked it both yesterday and again today, It just says the parcel is in the system for processing. The other seller said he will contact the postoffice and get back to me.
Its got to be 8 or 9 days since they were lay now. Kept in the warm conditions of the postal system thats got to reduce it further  :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: How long until fertility is affected?
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:27 »
I would not be happy with these deliveries - unless these packages were marked fragile - keep this way up or very very well packed they will have been tossed around in transit (this is not a dig at the Royal Mail but at the sellers). These eggs should have been sent out by special delivery and guaranteed next day delivery. Also remember you have to let the eggs rest for at least 24 hours before setting them.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:32 »
Yeah I know i need to let them rest Joy, So that adds another day to it, even if they arrive tomorrow its going to be about 10 days since they were lay, 11 by the time I can set them....Not much chance of a great hatch rate, thats if they arrive and hatch!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 12:39 »
not good at all, I would leave feedback reflecting this long delay - perhaps the sellers may send you some fresh eggs but this time by special delivery  ???

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2011, 12:39 »
Just had a look in my duck book (i know your's are hens eggs) and I think the info there is relevant for hens eggs to.

From: Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks. By Dave Holderread.

Length of storage.

Ordinarily, the shorter the storage period, the better the hatch. A few eggs that have been held 4 weeks or longer may hatch but for good results the general rule is not to keep eggs for more than 10 days before setting them.
The negative effect of long term storage periods on hatchability can be seen in the results obtained from a test involving several thousand eggs.

Length of Storage.        Hatchability percentage

1-7 days                       71
8-14 days                     64
15-21 days                   47
22-28 days                   18

Setting eggs.

Start the incubator at least 48 - 72 hours ahead of time and make all necessary adjustments of temperature, humidity and ventilation before the eggs are set. People frequently put eggs in machines that are not properly regulated, thinking they can make fine adjustments after the eggs are in place. This practice is a serious mistake since one of the most crucial periods for the development of the embryo is the first 4 or 5 days of incubation.

End of book quote.

I personally have never used an incubator and have only used a broodie hen. When I've received eggs through the post I've removed them from their polystyrene packaging and put them into a normal cardboard egg box. I then let them get to room temperature and turn then once every 24 hours. I let them sit quietly for 48 hours before putting under the hen.

I hope this helps and best of luck with your hatching.

OL

PaulineM

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2011, 12:54 »
Hi
What did the ebay seller state as their postage conditions, if they stated next day delivery etc, they should send you new eggs. If they didn't state their estimated delivery time you might have to put this down to experience but point out when leaving feedback to alert other buyers.
Good luck
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2011, 13:06 »
Both state standard delivery 2 - 3 days. Estimated delivery was 25th - 26th Jan

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2011, 18:23 »
Very strange that both parcels are affected :(  I have sent out hundreds of first class parcels and would guess that if sent mon to thurs that 99% of them will have arrived the next morning.

I did have one take from monday to sunday recently but that was a bit strange as it was delivered on sunday??

Ebay have started to say that sellers HAVE to send by special next day guaranteed delivery which shoots the post up to £6 plus which will put  a lot of buyers off... Its really not necessary in the normal run of things.

You have been very unlucky, but still worth a go with the eggs (if the sellers dont offer to replace them).
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

xx
How long do they live how long do they lay

Started by cammi on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post January 19, 2011, 22:02
by joyfull
xx
Grass - how long is too long

Started by cammi on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 25, 2011, 19:34
by rachelr
xx
At long last

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 21:15
by yorkshirerose
xx
How long to lay an egg?

Started by Wyandottie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 21:57
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 38 queries.