What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Lardman

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2325 on: September 18, 2011, 16:00 »
Out with the climbing French beans
Out with the runner beans

The bed was bone dry and completely lifeless, not a worm in sight.

Started to dig up the path to put in some anti-badger measures as the old bloke next door refuses to do anything about his "fence". In the 10ft I managed to dig I removed 12 complete house bricks, 2 roof tiles and a complete concrete building block  :ohmy: No wonder the grass was finding it hard work.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #2326 on: September 18, 2011, 20:05 »
Finally dug my last new potatos  :wub:

Dug over the whole of the potato patch, I can't beleive how much better the soil condition is, and how fewer out crops of bindweed root i have compared to when i took it over three years ago. Feeling very happy about that!!!

Picked about half a pound of strawberries, about  a pound of raspberries, frech and runner beans, swept the path, chatted with my lovely neighbour who gave me a whole tomatoe plant (vilma i beleive, they are tiny tiny little cherry toms that are so flavourful they hurt after about three or four) He struggles to harvest the hundreds of trusses/vines so gave me a plant, we halved the harvest and i still have enough to smother in olive oil, roast then puree with tonnes of roast garlic.  :D
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

jmc1949

« Reply #2327 on: September 18, 2011, 22:58 »
Don't have a lottie as yet just a small garden but harvested last of the potatoes (grown in bags), picked all greenhouse tomatoes (all ripened when I was away last week), picked the last of the yellow courgettes I've grown. Moved lettuce, rocket and radish into the greenhouse to give warmth and hopefully continue growing. Sown broad beans to overwinter - hopefully. Detached strawberry runners from main plants.
Also dug over the small plot I use for veggies.  Busy day. Loved every minute in the garden today.
Jenny

GaryPaula

« Reply #2328 on: September 19, 2011, 09:34 »
Yesterday i planted out 50 onion sets, 50 spring cabbage, grown from seed. Managed to dig over 1 bed ready for garlic. Cleared remaining tomato leaves in the hope that the green toms will ripen. Picked runner beans, last of the courgettes (won't plant so many next year!) and a few carrots. Brussels and Cauliflower are coming along fine. General tidy up, a bit of re-construstion to make a seating area, and planted 20+ daffodil bulbs in various pots. Not forgetting the odd chat and cups of coffee,oh and visit from daugter and good lady, all in all a day well spent. 

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2329 on: September 19, 2011, 12:42 »
found out, that big(half inch) black ants finished my attempt to grow sweet corn at my place  >:(
on the good side - my lovely tomatoes made some seedlings for me. now i need vinyl house  :D
suddenly rain started

grendel

« Reply #2330 on: September 19, 2011, 19:49 »
tomatoes got blight, so they got pulled up this evening, got 2 buckets full of not so great green tomatoes. and a pile of stalks that need burning.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #2331 on: September 19, 2011, 22:34 »
Picked some more beans & tomatoes, cut the grass, moved the compost heaps, moved the Tayberries & made space for a fire & made a new plot number sign.
Whole plot has now been done, just got to clean the chickens out this week.

Must be more to do as I love it up there!

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2332 on: September 21, 2011, 18:45 »
Picked last courgette.  :(

Hacked off all the flowering shoots on my Florence Fennel (the solution to early bolting? - I don't think so but it made me feel better!)

Checked my leeks for the umpteenth time since I read about the leek moth moving north (not here, at least not yet!)  :)

Told my second batch of sweetcorn (the cobs are looking much bigger than the first batch   :)) that they are in for some warm sunshine for the next few days (didn't tell them what would happen next if they ripen well, or that I am probably lying about the weather!)  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2333 on: September 21, 2011, 21:10 »
Carted off the sweetcorn stems to the communal dump.

Pulled up the beans for drying and took the whole plants home to dry off properly -- too much dew now for them to dry completely now.

Picked 2lb or so of raspberries, couple of courgettes

Also managed to pick another pound of sloes from the hedgerow --more sloe gin coming up for pressies later in the year  :D :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Vit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2334 on: September 22, 2011, 09:49 »
yesterday very strong storm striked the area. lucky, no damages to the house(but have to cut some broken trees and tidy up roof), just no power for about 20hours and roads been blocked. So.... spent whole day with chainsaw, spade and wheel barrow, but can go to town now  :D

Springlands

« Reply #2335 on: September 22, 2011, 15:10 »
Removed old courgette plants - found two small marrows hiding under leaves. Started autumn/winter digging. Picked and pickled enough hot peppers for two jars with lots more to come.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2336 on: September 22, 2011, 15:36 »
hoed around seedlings, pulled old brassica leaves off. Fed and watered pumpkin I found hiding under the leaves ::)
Picked a few skinny leeks for lunch, a red cabbage  (the top was going slimey - but inside was fine) and a bowl of raspberries.

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #2337 on: September 22, 2011, 19:22 »
Removed old courgette plants - found two small marrows hiding under leaves. Started autumn/winter digging. Picked and pickled enough hot peppers for two jars with lots more to come.

Me too! There's always a couple sneaky ones hiding away. Gave the grass a goodstrim as well. Might be the last cut of the year.

grendel

« Reply #2338 on: September 22, 2011, 19:52 »
pulled down the runner beans and weeded round the sweetcorn
Grendel

a_good_egg

« Reply #2339 on: September 22, 2011, 19:57 »
Just got my 1/2 plot yesterday! I've been and cut the grass and weeds in half for digging in on Saturday and have discovered that the last person has grown roses! Will try and get these out Sat too....

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2016

Started by grendel on Grow Your Own

533 Replies
Last post December 30, 2016, 16:09
by riggers24
xx
What I did on the plot today 2019

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

143 Replies
Last post January 07, 2020, 14:33
by JayG

Page created in 1.108 seconds with 33 queries.