What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

starry

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #2295 on: September 07, 2011, 14:46 »
cut off the peas leaving the roots in the ground  ;) spread some manure about checked on my pumpkins and squash (felt very proud, if not smug) still no sign of any broccoli  florets yet  :(  harvested the last of the peas,french beans,still a few more runners yet, pulled up some beetroot, dug up some not so new potatoes, loaded up my bike and wobbled home (not me my push bike under the weight of my pickings)  :D
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

marimba

« Reply #2296 on: September 07, 2011, 16:06 »
I think you sent all that wind to Denmark. Heavy rain yesterday and storm winds today made everything hard work. Trying to hold raspberry canes still while picking, and making sure the container didn’t blow over isn’t easy!
But took home parsnips, broccoli, carrots, beetroot, courgette, few beans, leaf beet, rosemary, thyme, red onions, ordy onions, shalllots and garlic (all those from basket behind shed)........and raspberries. Hope the wind ceases soon! (And the rain!)
marimba

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2297 on: September 08, 2011, 12:52 »
In the garden today, so cut all the herbs back, some are tied up for drying in the back porch..the house smells Greek now  ;)
Picked another few bowls of toms from the greenhouses and gave the plants another trim of the brown furry bits >:(  Picked the last 4 peppers - 3 red, 1 still green..but everythings getting Botrytis now, so I've given up the battle with the peppers....I think the last few toms will just about ripen before the tom plants give up the ghost  :)
I binned one of the courgettes which was withered, but left the other one as there are a few babies on it...they might just make it :)
Had a bit of a tidy up of mildewed leaves on the pumpkins and sweetpeas and plants blown over
and filled 3 binbags to take up to the plot later.

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #2298 on: September 09, 2011, 13:59 »
Not as much time as i had hoped for but still got pleanty done. Dug the last but one row of potatoes, picked most of my runner beans, picked the french beans that were ready, picked a couple of kilos of raspberries  ??? and hoed around my brassicas, collected the windfall apples, watered and fed the toms, weeded around my parsnips and foun the one last carrot - which was a whopper! woo hoo!

refixed the netting over my brussels and gave them lots of love and attention, told my PSB off, as i don't think it is performing as well as it could, cut back some of the old raspberry canes from earlier in the year and weeded around one set of raspberry canes ready for cutting back later in the year.
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2299 on: September 09, 2011, 15:28 »
Just wandered up to take the kitchen peelings for the compost bin, and saw there was delivery from the stables, and it was going as fast as it was off-loading ::)
Spoke to the owner she said the horses are only grass fed at this time of year and the bedding is wood chips,  and she uses no weed killer on the fields - so it shoud be ok, but I'll test before it goes on the beds ;)

6 barrowloads later....I'm now home waiting for the bath to fill  :lol:

Plot 6B

• NRAA Website
« Reply #2300 on: September 09, 2011, 16:40 »
Just cut the paths and trimmed the edges on both plots. Now looking neat and tidy.
Made a mental note of where to start clearing the plots and winter digging.
The fruits of success come from hard work!
A.K.A. Nige2plots

Headgardener22

« Reply #2301 on: September 09, 2011, 18:33 »
Picked courgettes, French beans, beetroot, last sweetcorn, few raspberries and blackberries. Tomatoes & cucumber from the greenhouse. Everything seems to be slowing down. It's been too dry this year overall

rozalia

« Reply #2302 on: September 09, 2011, 18:41 »
Live in Lancs and its been windy so spent some time putting in extra guy -type ropes onto my runner bean canes which were leaning at a precarious angle.  Still lots of beans and didn't want to lose them.  Warning that there is very windy weather coming on Tuesday so strapping everything down!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2303 on: September 10, 2011, 11:55 »
Hoe hoe hoe! Sprayed the middles of the Romanesco as mealy bugs had started munching the middles..this is the 2nd year they've done that  :mad:

Clouds of whitefly on the winter cabbage, but couldn't sea any mealies on them.

LilacSandy

« Reply #2304 on: September 10, 2011, 15:56 »
Weeding, harvesting a carrier bag of runners (only just started cropping properly), eating raspberries as I work.  Another 6 Courgettes (I think i went a wee bit mad with these) Carrots for tea (The ones I have had tast great but not that many) Pulled the last lot of onions for drying.

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2305 on: September 10, 2011, 17:33 »
Restaked the runners that came down again - can see them being a goner tonight/tommorow so picked what i could,

Weeded 3/4 of the plot - which was hard work - havent been able to get there too much lately.

Had a chat....................

Came home and having a beer  8)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2306 on: September 10, 2011, 21:32 »
Hand weeded all the curly kale and the most recent of the khol rabi sowings.

Picked a box of raspberries, some beans, couple of courgettes for DIL, who came to see ho we were geting on.

Watched Mr Sunny dig up a crate full of pink fir apples (all from 5 tubers  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:)

Ate our lunch in the shed as it was raining and then all went home.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

foxknocker

« Reply #2307 on: September 11, 2011, 14:47 »
 :) Tied the french beans back down, emptied the water in the wheelbarrow into the pond... picked courgettes and french beans, had to bring home a small pumpkin as his plant has vanished??? Then I weeded and despaired at the mess... so I came home and joined here  ;)

Baking courgette cheese and chilli scones  :D

Springlands

« Reply #2308 on: September 11, 2011, 15:16 »
Nothing - far too wet and windy.  ::) ::)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #2309 on: September 11, 2011, 18:14 »
Picked a red drumhead for dinner.  :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

73 Replies
Last post July 02, 2024, 19:55
by vikingraider

Page created in 0.493 seconds with 38 queries.