What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Robster

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1320 on: May 05, 2011, 13:57 »
The moment has finally come.  I have started the hardening off the bulk of my courgettes and squash.  After 5 Days or so theywill be going out when the 5 day forecast is good I will have a few in reserve.

Tally Ho

LilacSandy

« Reply #1321 on: May 05, 2011, 14:32 »
Cried, we had a frost and as I had been lulled into a false sense of security I hap put out my french & dwarf beans.

Oh well still time to get them going again.

Robster

« Reply #1322 on: May 05, 2011, 14:48 »
LilacSandy,
You can probably get some pretty well advanced french and dwarf beans at a local garden centre.  Sow up some more yourself as well and "Bob's Yer Uncle."

Same with other stuff if the eagerness has "done for it" courgettes, tomatoes.  On the website there are lots of folks that have lost these self sown crops because they've nipped by a late frost.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1323 on: May 05, 2011, 15:05 »
Created impressive dust clouds by hoeing, ( :nowink:) weeded the parsnips, started to feel a bit concerned about the shallots (some leaf-yellowing; probably the drought even though they've been watered - bet they run to seed sooner rather than later) sowed courgettes and Winter Festival squash in pots, and Cosmos and Zinnia in the prepared flower borders.

Oh, and took the Hozelock reel apart as the internal hose connector decided to come apart (as it is wont to do from time to time!)  :)

Hot and humid now, so off to exercise my democratic thingummy shortly!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1324 on: May 05, 2011, 15:11 »
Gave everything a good drink up the plot again, a couple of weeks ago i thought i would risk a courget and a cucumber plant on the plot, they have been fine so far i have spares just incase, i happened to notice that my cucumber plants on the plot and in the greenhouse have both flowered :) feeling pleased with myself.

LilacSandy

« Reply #1325 on: May 05, 2011, 15:12 »
Thanks Robster,

I will try re-sewing as I hate to waste money by buying ready grown, but will if I have to as still cheaper than buying the stuff the supermarkets pass off as fresh.

snowdrops

« Reply #1326 on: May 05, 2011, 16:26 »
Popped over for 1/2 hour to hoe the transplanted onion seedlings in the hope if it rains it will soak in & then decided to give them a long drink as they were looking a bit sorry for them selves. I go away on Sat for 10 days so I might go back up tonight & water everywhere thoroughly to save me doing it tomorrow night.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1327 on: May 05, 2011, 17:23 »
planted red cabbage, kale and brussel sprouts. watered.

grendel

« Reply #1328 on: May 05, 2011, 21:05 »
went to the plot after work, planted up peas and put up the supporting frame from some conduit scavanged out of the skip at work.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

hardcj

« Reply #1329 on: May 05, 2011, 23:02 »
Well I've done alot on my plot over the last few days....Only just got home from it as had a big fire to get rid of...so made a mini party and cooked some sausages with a few friends!

Constantly battling the mares/horse tail, but will eventually win the fight! Strawberries are doing really well considering its their 1st year, plenty of fruit and finally got round to putting the straw under them!

I think I cut my raspberries down when I didnt need to. I think they may have been a spring variety, but I didnt know when I took over the plot in Jan so cut them all down. But the one or two I left as a test have started flowering! so oops!!

Onions, garlic, raddishes, letttuce, broccoli, cauliflowers and beetroot are doing really well! But my bigest surprise and happiness from the gamble is my sweetcorn! I planted out 18 'Earlybird' sweetcorn at the beginning of April just as the glorious hot weather hit and they've survived the 2 "frost nights (3c)" we were meant to have and they are about a foot high!!! So some early crop to be had there! Have some more 'Earlybird' to put out and I've just started chitting my other variety of sweetcorn.

Peas, runner beans and french beans arent up yet, but hopefully soon. Just have to feed everything tomorrow and dig where the fire was for the swetcorn!

Plenty of fun!

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1330 on: May 06, 2011, 00:16 »
Made a swift visit to the plot after work today after hearing about more sheds being broken into  :blink:

My plot was ok but appears the frost last night has turned the tops of the potatos black! Luckily most had been earthed up! Should I cut the black ends off and let them get on with it ?

I'd let them get on with it.... they should recover. Chopping them back won't help them any.

Will do just that.. and earth up up more.. if possible! Thanks :)

davethespread

« Reply #1331 on: May 06, 2011, 10:35 »
im so far behind than usual,i hope i can catch up when im back on two feet.i put up a polytunnel down the plot before i went in,it now has weeds four foot high in it :(
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1332 on: May 06, 2011, 11:19 »
im so far behind than usual,i hope i can catch up when im back on two feet.i put up a polytunnel down the plot before i went in,it now has weeds four foot high in it :(

don't worry dave, you'll catch up eventually. Hope it's better soon  :)

sunnyrise

• plot 49
« Reply #1333 on: May 06, 2011, 13:24 »
We have measured up the land for the spacing of the raised beds going in tomorrow ( weather dependent!). I'm pretty sue it's due to rain tomorrow as Wickes arrive on the site with 40 planks of decking and the rest of the sundries to make the raised beds! LOL
I will have 10 2x3m beds to make tomorrow!

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1334 on: May 06, 2011, 19:56 »
Weeded around parsnips earthed up pots.OH dug over last bed for cauli and brusselsprouts,planted more beetroot,and lots of weeding around garlic and spring onions.
Spied the first buds on an elderflower tree and watched the robins swoop down for the worms on the freshly dug over beds :) lovely day. :)
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws

Page created in 0.893 seconds with 31 queries.