What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

stompy

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1305 on: May 03, 2011, 14:22 »
Took shed and new (much bigger) greenhouse to the new plot at the weekend.

Will be building the shed tonight and building the greenhouse base at the weekend.

Wavertree Red

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1306 on: May 03, 2011, 15:09 »
Watered everything.  Carrots, raddish, peas, sweetcorn, kale, beets all coming along.  Spuds flying up.  Going to have to bank some up at the weekend.  Did a bit of hand weeding.  Erected some CD's on canes and twigged an area to protect from birds.

Then promptly fell asleep in a deck chair whilist listening to 96.7FM.

I dont want to go back to work. 
I said a Keith Richards not a Cliff Richard..................

GaryPaula

« Reply #1307 on: May 03, 2011, 15:19 »
On the plot yesterday, i weeded and then weeded some more, i am sure them dam weeds were waiting until i had finished then decided to pop up just for the fun of it. Thined out the beetroot and lettuce, planted some runner beans and planted the Maris piper. Sat back and enjoyed the view, then watered and finally went home. 

grendel

« Reply #1308 on: May 03, 2011, 21:41 »
popped in after work tonight - ground like a dustbowl, watered all the plants, earthed up the potatoes on that plot, both plots done now, planted some beans and infilled some peas into the pea bed. weeded some then watered in the new plants. then came home.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1309 on: May 03, 2011, 22:32 »
covered the potatoes with some polysheeting as the ground was too hard to do much earthing up :(
Also covered the earlies in the garden and the PFA in the tubs. Fleeced all the toms and courgettes in the greenhouses, but brought the aubergines and peppers indoors. It was already getting cold at 7pm  :blink:
down to 5C now!

greentig3r

« Reply #1310 on: May 03, 2011, 22:39 »
Planted arbo potatoes into newly cleared area, hoping they're not too late. Weeded strawberry bed and fleeced seedlings to keep the cats off. Looking forward to some much needed rain, forecast for thursday. :)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1311 on: May 04, 2011, 00:20 »
At 8pm, having listened the the BBC weather forecast, I belted back to the plot to cover up the potatoes (again.....blessed foxes!). I'd only just arrived home too from cooking dinner for my parents.  ::)

The potatoes are now nicely snug under grass-clippings and as much of the soil as I could drag back in place.

I can't decide whether I'll be happy if the BBC got it right or not. Their interactive thingimee-bob on the tv suggested no frost at all with a low of around 6oC over-night.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1312 on: May 04, 2011, 15:06 »
i have pricked out and potted up 60 calabrese plants......i live on my own do you think thats enough? :D also did curly kale, caulis, cabbages, psb and sprouts! ive planted some comfrey out i have been growing on (bought some inch long roots in feb) and although i was doubtful all have romped away, also put a buddlea in my neighbour gave me, i think thats about it and i have factor 50+ on and can *still* feel it burning! 8)

Paul Plots

« Reply #1313 on: May 04, 2011, 15:09 »
At 8pm, having listened the the BBC weather forecast, I belted back to the plot to cover up the potatoes (again.....blessed foxes!). I'd only just arrived home too from cooking dinner for my parents.  ::)

The potatoes are now nicely snug under grass-clippings and as much of the soil as I could drag back in place.

I can't decide whether I'll be happy if the BBC got it right or not. Their interactive thingimee-bob on the tv suggested no frost at all with a low of around 6oC over-night.  :unsure:

No frost.  ::) Blinking weather forecast!! All that belting up and down like a yo-yo and then there's no frost.  >:(

grendel

« Reply #1314 on: May 04, 2011, 20:07 »
we had some frost here in kent, throughout the allotments there are tufts of blackened potato leaves sticking up, mine included. planted peas constructed a post and string frame for them to climb up.
watered everything.
Grendel

Rene

« Reply #1315 on: May 04, 2011, 21:25 »
we had frost here in Ripon North Yorks too, some blackened potatoe tops, thankfully i kicked some soil over some newly spouted tops in a later planted row last night, as i had left the tools in he car, then earthed them up tonight. covered them in fleece tonight so their snug, also did same to the strawbs as a few flowers got blackened. i had bedded out butternut squash at the weekend in a frame I made from pallets coverd with plastic from spare polytunnel plastic i used for the wooden greenhouse i and some friends put up in autumn, but the frost got to them too :( i snipped off the fried leaves but the crentres seem to bo ok so have  coverd them in fleece for the night under the polythene hopefully Jack wont kill them off now

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #1316 on: May 04, 2011, 23:30 »
I panicked too

I bugged my son to take me tothe plot at half time in the Man U match (I dont drive)...and bless my baby boy, he did  :)

Im calm again now as my spuds are earthed up (it was ALL Learners fault  :tongue2: :tongue2:)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1317 on: May 05, 2011, 00:25 »
Made a swift visit to the plot after work today after hearing about more sheds being broken into  :blink:

My plot was ok but appears the frost last night has turned the tops of the potatos black! Luckily most had been earthed up! Should I cut the black ends off and let them get on with it ?

Watered the onions, garlic and peas that are now growing well.. 2nd year apple trees also covered in little fruits. I know most will fall off but im hoping its a sign of things to come! Loads of strawberries and raspberries starting to form too!

Paul Plots

« Reply #1318 on: May 05, 2011, 01:27 »
Made a swift visit to the plot after work today after hearing about more sheds being broken into  :blink:

My plot was ok but appears the frost last night has turned the tops of the potatos black! Luckily most had been earthed up! Should I cut the black ends off and let them get on with it ?

I'd let them get on with it.... they should recover. Chopping them back won't help them any.

Paul Plots

« Reply #1319 on: May 05, 2011, 01:28 »
I panicked too

I bugged my son to take me tothe plot at half time in the Man U match (I dont drive)...and bless my baby boy, he did  :)

Im calm again now as my spuds are earthed up (it was ALL Learners fault  :tongue2: :tongue2:)

Now then, now then... It was the flipping BBC's fault with their dodgy weather forecast.  :wub:

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2020

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

247 Replies
Last post December 31, 2020, 15:57
by Aidy
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.975 seconds with 39 queries.