What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

snowdrops

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #960 on: April 06, 2011, 21:34 »
After work I put in my early potatoes- Rocket- did them with a bulb planter,loads easier & quicker. The soil had been rotovated 2 weeks ago with plenty of manure mixed in so I'm hopeful.Then I prepared my carrot bed, put in my yellow hoops & added the envionmesh followed by 7 short rows of carrot-Adelaide F1. After that home for dinner when Mr S had finished cutting the grass.Very pleased I've finally put something in.Picked a load of rhubarb as well.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

MiklovesHerb(s)

« Reply #961 on: April 06, 2011, 22:26 »
Dug another plot ready for carrot and had a picnic tea ( and a small glass of cider)

Paul Plots

« Reply #962 on: April 06, 2011, 22:56 »

Decided on risk reward and put my first Beans in today,Keynans got dug in and put some
Early onward Peas in too.

Gazza

I hope your beans will be safe from a late frost!  :ohmy:  :blink:  :unsure:

Are you going to protect them just in case we get one? (which is more than likely)

Your profile doesn't say where you are from so I've no idea what your growing climate is like.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 22:58 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

hardcj

« Reply #963 on: April 06, 2011, 23:03 »
Well today was too nice a day to stay in! So have potted up some brassicas, planted 25 buckets with potatoes, hoed the plot around vegetables and fruit plants and planted comfrey!

Carrots and spring onions are now showing themselves, onions, garlic, raddishes and shallots are doing very well!

I changed onto this plot over the winter, which had been vacant for about 2 years and now I know why!! mares/horse tail is prolific on this plot.....thankfully I've dealt with this before, but not on this scale....will just keep hoeing/pulling it up! :D

skatenchips

« Reply #964 on: April 06, 2011, 23:08 »
I hope your beans will be safe from a late frost!    

well ive got some bubble wrap ready to wrap my beans just incase. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #965 on: April 06, 2011, 23:15 »
I hope your beans will be safe from a late frost!    

well ive got some bubble wrap ready to wrap my beans just incase. 

Here's wishing you the best of luck but I think I'd have some back-up growing in paper-pots at home to be prepared for the worst.

Down here in the sunny south my beans are still stiing patiently in their packets awaiting sowing day.

Dan78

• Experienced Member
« Reply #966 on: April 06, 2011, 23:39 »
Headed to my plot straight from work after hearing there had been another break in and vandalism.. I feared the worst for my fruit trees! Luckily the low life had not made it to my allotment. Watered the new peach tree and jostaberry and went home. Must remember to email to say I can help put up new fences etc...

At home playing with my son and he helped me plant 3 sets of potatos into some growing sacks kindly donated from a friend. also sowed a couple of pumpkin and gherkin seeds.

MY chillies still not showing so getting a little worried :(

skatenchips

« Reply #967 on: April 07, 2011, 09:34 »
Here's wishing you the best of luck but I think I'd have some back-up growing in paper-pots at home to be prepared for the worst.

Down here in the sunny south my beans are still stiing patiently in their packets awaiting sowing day.

yep,got plenty of every bean variety in their Loo rolls and Im also watching some peas and beans in tissue paper on the window ledge after mumofstig suggested
to me that I can see which beans are sprouting at a glance and which ones are gonners.

Made up a few newspaper ones last night funnily enough from the fellers utube vid and they ceratinly seem to hold together well.

Our lotty is in Stanwell just south of Heathrow Airport,hence were bound to have some querky veg come up after a northerly wind blows the refreshing (correction) nauseating aviation fumes from the south runway......... :wacko:

Gazza
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:38 by skatenchips »

Composto

« Reply #968 on: April 07, 2011, 10:54 »
Have started to dig over another half plot that I've acquired on the site, it's not been cultivated for two years.  Nice to start with a "blank canvas" again.

sjjones

« Reply #969 on: April 07, 2011, 11:12 »
woke up at 6 o'clock this morning and spent so long laying there thinking about what I needed to do, that I decided to get up early and actually do it for a change   ::)

managed to get half hour on the plot, so dug over another third of the onion patch - hopefully I'll have it all done before the weekend so I can get the onions and shallots planted  :D

SarahJ

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #970 on: April 07, 2011, 14:26 »
got to the lotty and put the kettle on then i picked some rhubarb and watered the 1st and 2nd lot of peas
had a cup of tea then i planted four lettuces then i pricked out 200 leeks and put them in there final container
decided to fill up the water butt and two of my neighbours butts using my petrol driven water pump i was quite pleased as it has not been used since last september and it started on the 8th  pull so that was good ,i filled those and while the pump was going its job 1.5 hours in total to fill  i hoed the onions and shallots, then i watered them as i dont think we will have any rain for at least 5 days here so they got a good drenching.
checked on the garlic as per my other post they were showing about a 1/2 inch of clove above ground so i have covered in compost so the garlic and onions and shallots got a good drenching.
about this time i opted for a tomatoe cup a soup and not a can of stella, just then my in laws arrived so on went the kettle
i then  checked on the cauli broccoli brussel cabbage pepper chilli   lettuce seedling and gave them a little water after that i hoed some more around the strawberry bed  and now im home im having that beer  and im going to make
my beautifull wife and nice salad with jacket pots for dinner and then work tomorrow and then back on the lotty saturday 

wow life is sure good

Springlands

« Reply #971 on: April 07, 2011, 14:35 »
Looked at my seed trays again - so far cukes, squash and a couple of toms are peeping through. Should have some nice salad leaves to eat next week.

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #972 on: April 07, 2011, 14:46 »
not been to plot yet ( waiting for a gas safety check  :ohmy:) but have been busy sowing courgettes 2 types, pumpkin, french beans, dwarf french beans and 2 types of runner beans. Having a coffee break before school pick up   ;)
I came I saw I grew my own veg

Robster

« Reply #973 on: April 07, 2011, 17:47 »
Potted on my squash and rehoused them in the unheated green house.  Potted on chillies and they remain in the incubator in the sun.  Sowed/planted pregerminated french beans in root trainers now in the cold frame.  I intended to thin my turnips that I sowed out a couple of weeks ago, but I seem to have got a bit waylayed by a glass of wine in the sun.  Hey Ho.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #974 on: April 07, 2011, 18:37 »
I'm just a bit  :ohmy: as my marigolds have just popped up. I only planted them on Sunday :unsure:
other seeds are a-bursting out now, tomatoes and basil.  :D

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
I have been to see my new plot for the first time today

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 20:57
by Nogger

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 29 queries.