What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

Junie

Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1005 on: April 10, 2011, 13:49 »
Started to set up the irrigation system, porous hosepipes set up, sprinkler in position, still a little more to do today.

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #1006 on: April 10, 2011, 16:45 »
Attended the plot society monthly meeting, tipped all our inherited carpet and rotten wood or rubbish.

Dug two trenches for asparagus.  I cannot WAIT to be eating all that yummy asparagus in 3 years time.

Repeatedly watered all the onions, garlics, potatoes and flowers, and then weeded the greenhouse borders (really hard work in the heat) and all of the beds.

Now we're sat with beers enjoying the rest of the afternoon.  What a brilliant day !!

Composto

« Reply #1007 on: April 10, 2011, 16:48 »
Planted out a couple of rows of summer cabbage, rotavated ready for some blackcurrant plants grown from last years prunings, sown some salsify and hoed the overwintered onions and garlic. Now about to responsibley drink beer in the sunshine! :)

grendel

« Reply #1008 on: April 10, 2011, 17:16 »
went with the wife to the plot, she spotted some strawberry plants in amongst some lemon grass round the bottom of one of the apple trees. spent 1 1/2 hours following weeding them out, and planted a 3 foot bed of strawberry plants the full width of the plot. Then bought the rest home to pot up, there were hundreds of little strawberry plants yay free strawbs. planted a bed of peas, then another of runner beans and peas, and a last bed of broad beans and dwarf peas, run out of places to plant stuff now.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

MJS

• Winner - favourite sunflower photo of 2011
« Reply #1009 on: April 10, 2011, 18:18 »
Sat about a lot :lol: Got some spuds planted, so that's one job out of the way. Weeded a bit. We have  a fenced off  area so that our dogs can come too instead of leaving them at home. hubby made a makeshift shelter for  Cherry the lurcher when she got too hot.  :D

sarah1983jane

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1010 on: April 10, 2011, 18:18 »
This weekend...
Burnt  :) Love this sunshine!
Planted some comfrey kindly sent to me by a site member.
Planted Mange tout (spelling?) and asparagus peas - 5 meter row of each.
Got a lovely suprise to find my asparagus that was tony last weekend is eating size this weekend.

Now bbq number 3 of the weekend with asparagus and herbs from allotment!

Question.... How should I have harvested my asparagus? its 3 or 4 years old now, almost as thick as the stuff you buy in the shops. I didnt have a knife soI just pulled the stems until they snapped...is that ok?

fatcat1955

« Reply #1011 on: April 10, 2011, 18:43 »
Planted 1 20ft row of rocket pots, 1 20ft row of estima, 2 20ft rows of charlotte, 4 20ft rows of maris piper and 3 20ft rows of desiree ( 5 more rows of desiree still to go in) Half the maris piper and half the charlotte were from T&M and the other half from Wilkos. The T&M were twice the size of the Wilkos so i will post again with the results. It will probably be a case of . You get what you pay for.

digalotty

« Reply #1012 on: April 10, 2011, 19:59 »
went back and weeded my strawberry bed and watered all pots and seedlings :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Daz26

« Reply #1013 on: April 10, 2011, 21:03 »
Carried on with my forking out. 5hrs yesterday and 7hrs today. Got my ground ready for planting my parsnips next week. Peas came up lovely but the pigeons have taken their toll. >:( Onion sets and shallots are sprouting nicely. :D Some big radish i got from Lidl are starting to make an appearence. :) Loving the sunshine. Bit warm forking out today because the breeze dropped,but it was ideal on saturday. 8) 8) 8)

samfan

« Reply #1014 on: April 10, 2011, 21:25 »
Planted 11 x 10 foot rows of potatoes today, I done the lot when I had the chance.  Consists of:  King Edward, Maris Piper, Charlotte, Pentland Javelin and Duke of York.  I planted them with the maincrops at the back, so that I can dig up the earlies easily and put something else in their place. 

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1015 on: April 10, 2011, 22:36 »
Entered our Easter show. :)

First time ever!

Got a second for a tray of Caulis. :D
Spring show Marquee.JPG
Tray of 'All year round' cauliflowers.JPG
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

gardengnome

« Reply #1016 on: April 10, 2011, 23:14 »
I planted lettuce - rocket and red lettuce  :)

dexyblue

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1017 on: April 11, 2011, 00:12 »
Planted 2 10ft rows of Pentland Javelin, put chives,corriander and parsley in herb bed. Sowed 3 types of sunflowers,dwarf french beans,blue lake french beans,trailing nasturtians. Had lots of coffee breaks and sat in the sun  8)
I came I saw I grew my own veg

gherkin

« Reply #1018 on: April 11, 2011, 00:38 »
I took my 2 boys up to plant our very first things in our new plot!  We put in some nasturtiums to crawl up the fence and some carrots and spinach.
Full of the joys of spring!

Rene

« Reply #1019 on: April 11, 2011, 07:59 »
cut in and weeded a 4ins border along a shared (by one old man and his dog) grass path, it was overgrown last June when i got the plot and another neighbour (who doesnt use it for access) had his hose running along making it impossible to keep the grass/weeds short, stapled some left over pond liner along the fence and into the soil then planted some forgetmenots salvaged from the home border, will finished with some lawn edging stuff ive seen in the shop, tidy!
planted a couple of red astibe and aqualisa's near new pond. the water is looking a bit red, discovered a brick in there! thinking i should remove some water and refill quickly before any frogs hopefully take up residence?
dug over bed for beans taking out even more mares tail so have decided a black liner will have go over that patch after I dig in some rotted compost from last year in the bottom and replace topsoil.
watered asparagus bed with marigold border and rasberries planted yesterday.
also watered potatoes and leeks in ground then carrots, spring onions and radishes all in containers, then all stuff in pots like sage, rosemary, chives and cut some for dinner with salmon in peking lemon sauce. Dinner mmmnn!! that made me hurry to get the gladioli, butternut squash and peppers watered and back in the greenhouse for the night.
must get them stawbs in pots from last years runners in the ground among their mates which are already in flower!
Must be time to go home for that dinner now its gone 6p.m. been down there since 10 with an hour off to nip home for lunch and forgot to take a drink this morning, Doh!
got the day off work monday but have to get some weeding done at my bungalow which i just moved into in snowy January and the painters want to paint my back door but will get back down to lotment later, must get some more sowing done in the greenhouse too.

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today 2022

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

125 Replies
Last post December 22, 2022, 08:34
by Scottie
xx
What I did on the plot today 2021

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

113 Replies
Last post December 29, 2021, 21:46
by comfreykid

Page created in 1.466 seconds with 36 queries.