What I did on the plot today - 2011

• 2810 Replies

richy

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today - 2011
« Reply #1020 on: April 11, 2011, 14:25 »
today i popped up the lottie with all my compostables, had a quick hoe around, sowed a short row of beetroot( boltardy) free in tescos with a newspaper, i gave every thing a good water as the ground is getting very dry and had my 3rd harvest of nice fresh rubarb.
Im new to all this and tend to find im spending alot of time up there, its so relaxing.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #1021 on: April 11, 2011, 18:11 »
Earthed up my three rows of Charlotte Potatoe's as they were beginning to show! No sign of the Kestrel's yet.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1022 on: April 11, 2011, 18:39 »
Not today, but over the weekend - I planted the blackcurrant bushes that arrived on Saturday (they just look like sticks with roots on), weeded the strawberries, planted some gladioli bulbs (never done flowers before but they were free with the blackcurrants), tied the raspberry canes in (very late, I know) and did abit of general weeding.  Came home with a couple of parsnips and some rhubarb.

In the polytunnel I planted some pumpkins and gave everything a good water.  In the polytunnel at the moment I have lots of seeds just pushing through - beetroot, cabbage, broccolflower, leeks, lettuce, basil, spring onion, tomatoes and broad beans.  No sign yet of my celery or cucumber.

I also had a go at doing the parsnip seeds between two damp pieces of kitchen towel - no success with that though.  They are in the window in a really sunny spot as we don't have an airing cupboard but they have not changed at all.  Am going to get some more seeds this week and just bung them straight into the compost filled toilet rolls.

Giving it a couple of weeks and am then going to start off some courgettes, beans and melons in the polytunnel, along with any other seeds ready for starting in April.

Am loving my polytunnel.
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

Headgardener22

« Reply #1023 on: April 11, 2011, 19:19 »
Tried to dig up couch grass from my raspberries :(

grendel

« Reply #1024 on: April 11, 2011, 19:39 »
took some water down the plot to water in the strawbs transferred yesterday, now its raining.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

MiklovesHerb(s)

« Reply #1025 on: April 11, 2011, 20:58 »
I finished my wine bottle edge to my new herb garden!

had a donation of empty bottles from other allotment holders so no need to drink myself stupid getting enough for a path edge...ah well!

digalotty

« Reply #1026 on: April 11, 2011, 21:09 »
started off some alpine strawberry seeds to go in all the milk cartons that i have saved up :) and watered the green house
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Gandan57

« Reply #1027 on: April 11, 2011, 22:43 »
Planted out summer purple sprouting and calabrese plants. Earthed up the earlies as a chilly night is forecast.

As I was driving out I do a bit of rubber necking and saw what looked like climbing french beans planted unprotected against canes and on another plot six inch high sweetcorn under lemonade bottles. Interested to see how they fare over the next month.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1028 on: April 12, 2011, 00:53 »
We planted more potatoes. I planted a white currant bush. I started weeding what will become our strawberry patch.

Allotment only 10 days old to us. (Much older in reality of course.)

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1029 on: April 12, 2011, 07:55 »
just had a look at the potato's growing and noticed the maris pipers are popping out just above the surface. cara's yet to come through. peas looking strong. just can't remember if i grew brocolli along with the cauliflower or mislabelled them as cauliflower  :unsure:

Robster

« Reply #1030 on: April 12, 2011, 08:52 »
I harvested the second cut of chard this year.  Successfully overwintered which was pretty amazing.  Made a nice chard omelette with our own eggs too

Springlands

« Reply #1031 on: April 12, 2011, 10:03 »
Yesterday - sowed sweetcorn and transplanted tomato, squash and courgette seedlings. Today - hope to do some general garden tidying up - edging paths and sweeping all the pathways. Lots of moss to clear from the paths also - now where is OH's wallpaper scraper. Oh yes - and if there is time dead-heading the hydrangeas.

kitch

« Reply #1032 on: April 12, 2011, 10:24 »
Planted some beetroots(boltardy) and cabbage(grayhound) which have grown in pots(in potting shed) out in the lottie covered um though u no what this weathers like

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1033 on: April 12, 2011, 11:09 »
Stuck another 2 rows of potatoes in.

Weeded around most of the beds (had both kids with me today so it was a bit of a rushed job!!!)

This afternoon im going to sow some french beans

Ive learnt though in future to sow peas and transplant. I sowed direct and hardly any have appeared, but i transplanted mangetout and that is doing great.

Presume im not too late to sow more peas so will do so and then transplant

Really happy though that for the third year at trying lots of parsnips have germinated - must have been the warm weather in early spring

LeeR

• Winner - Biggest Pumpkin, 2015
« Reply #1034 on: April 12, 2011, 14:16 »
At the weekend I finally got around to putting up three compost bins.  I also created a nice little barked area to sit down and do nothing  8) .  Sowed some  courettes seeds in the greenhouse too. 

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2013

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2699 Replies
Last post December 31, 2013, 19:40
by snowdrops
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2014

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

1611 Replies
Last post December 30, 2014, 21:59
by Aidy

Page created in 0.543 seconds with 36 queries.