What brand of Compost? 2011

• 196 Replies

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
hunt for compost
« Reply #180 on: June 19, 2011, 18:10 »
Anyone found it hard to get any decent potting compost? last 3 days i've been to DIY stores, nurseries, and supermarkets looking for some compost to start off my late seeds... Nothing, its all bitty and no god for seeds.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: hunt for compost
« Reply #181 on: June 19, 2011, 18:17 »
The government is trying to reduce peat usage so a lot of compost now has composted green waste in it and it chunkier than it was.  If you can find it, John Innes seed & cutting compost is good for small seeds.  Otherwise you can invest in a garden sieve and sieve ordinary compost to get the big bits out  :)

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #182 on: June 19, 2011, 20:40 »
clover compost is nice fine compost and doesn’t have any green waste in it as it comes from Ireland. we have gone thru over 80 x 75L bags of it in the last few months

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #183 on: June 20, 2011, 15:43 »
Arther bowers compost we have been using, its been quite good on the whole but i did get stabbed by a black thorn while filling pots  :tongue2:.
Thanks
Kris

hubballi

Re: What brand of Compost? 2011
« Reply #184 on: June 22, 2011, 19:13 »
I have been using the B and Q compost because of the hype here (and the Which reviews) and quite frankly I haven't seen any amazing results. Quite disappointing really. Lots of lumps of all kinds of things found in the stuff. Not impressed.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #185 on: June 25, 2011, 18:55 »
Got some from B&Ms and have to say the carrots I seeded in it seem to be doing very well so far
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

Robert_S

• Experienced Member
« Reply #186 on: June 27, 2011, 21:17 »
Not had too much experience with many different types of compost, but the stuff I've been getting from Wicke's is the nicest  I have seen in my short vegetable growing career so far. The wife, who has been into growing things (flowers) a lot longer than I have, mentioned to me without any prompting how good she thought it was too. I have been using it to top up my raised beds and everything I have sown this last couple of weeks has germinated well.

muckyboots

• Experienced Member
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2011, 19:53 »
Hi, I tried Westlands 'Jacks Magic' this year its not the cheapest but I found it very good stuff worth the little extra if your not using large amounts.Cheers

LilacSandy

« Reply #188 on: July 09, 2011, 11:57 »
Just been down for my second lot of B & Q compost as the last lot was very silky with no bits at all.  I use their growbags at £1.96 each, I had to hunt out the back for them as they did not display them in the front of the store, I just use them as I would a normal bag of compost.

green_fingered_ash

« Reply #189 on: July 11, 2011, 11:13 »
Don't really look for a good compost, i just buy a cheap (poundland/99p store brand) multipurpose compost and mix it with a little perlite, seem to turn out fine for peas, tomatoes etc as they will only growing for a couple weeks

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #190 on: July 11, 2011, 13:11 »
I've just bought three more bags of the B&Q multi-purpose, because it's on special offer three for a tenner at the moment!  I originally bought it on the strength of the Which? report and it seems to have been fine ... can't comment as to whether it's the 'cream of the crop', as I think I used the same brand last year so haven't really anything to compare it with.  Whatever, everything seems to have flourished, so no complaints.

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2011, 10:48 »
Will the three for a tenner from B&Q be good for Christmas potatoes I'm going to plant in barrels next month?

Goosegirl

« Reply #192 on: August 31, 2011, 12:58 »
I have been using the B and Q compost because of the hype here (and the Which reviews) and quite frankly I haven't seen any amazing results. Quite disappointing really. Lots of lumps of all kinds of things found in the stuff. Not impressed.
I got my usual JAB multi-purpose this spring - awful! Full of chunks, not nice to handle and my sowings and pottings-on seemed to struggle - never again! My neighbour bought a load of B&Q compost last year and again this year; also, as Which recommended it, I tried a small bag - absolutely brilliant, so I got 9 mega-bags of it. Beautiful stuff, looks, feels and smells like I remember compost should and my plants have really come on well. Let's hope the Which recommendation ensures consistency and reliability for the future.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

leftydrum

« Reply #193 on: September 01, 2011, 03:25 »
I normally get B & Q in 150 litre bags and add grit, sand, fertilizer depending what i'm doing with it. i have tried levingtons in the past, especially the insecticide impregnated compost and found that very good but can't seem to find anyone who sells it.

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #194 on: October 09, 2011, 22:28 »
wicks have their compost on 4 for £13.00 at the moment.

xx
What brand of Compost? 2012

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 09:18
by DD.
xx
Brand new bed - but what can i put in it now?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 13:23
by peapod
xx
Which seed brand do you go for?

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 22, 2023, 00:35
by wolveryeti
xx
Brand new out the box Gardener

Started by llINDA on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 14, 2012, 17:57
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.826 seconds with 37 queries.