What brand of Compost? 2011

• 196 Replies

viettaclark

Wickes 75lt multi-purpose compost
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2011, 23:35 »
I always buy these as they always have an offer on and the quality is good.
This last batch I bought is completely different....less of the dark earthy stuff and loads of coir (coconut husk). Has anyone else noticed this?
That saying, my runners have germinated fine.....

lovemyveg

• Experienced Member
Re: What brand of Compost? 2011
« Reply #151 on: May 10, 2011, 14:56 »
With other members problems with their usual brands of compost, I wonder too what is going on.  I bought 3 bags of John Innes Seed compost last year and it was terrible stuff.  All lumps and odd hairy bits in it, I had to sieve it before sowing the seeds.  I did complain to JI and got a £15 voucher, but did not spend it on JI compost and am very wary about their product.  I feel that their seed compost is too heavy for seedlings and cuttings and would rather add my own drainage to multipurpose compost, should I need it.  I have also tried our local supermarket, Harry Tuffins multipurpose compost and that too is disgusting stuff with hard lumps and again hairy bits (what on earth are these?).  I also tried some 20 ltr Aldi Potting compost - again the usual debris in this.  Could it be that now we have the green recyling bin that this is what is being produced from the garden rubbish that is put out.  I compost "good" garden rubbish, but do put all the perennial nasty weeds in the green bin - anything I would not dream of adding to my own compost heap.  I certainly would not buy this compost willing, but as the quality of most composts has deteriorated I wonder if we are being "duped" into buying it back?

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #152 on: May 11, 2011, 15:06 »
I used Westlands John Innes Seed sowing compost which I found very good and then to pot on I uses Dobbies multi purpose compost (40% peat free) again no complaints.

I ran out of the dobbies stuff and saw some compost on offer at JTS(a discount store in this area) The make is Richmond and I have never had so much rubbish in all my life. 

I am off to wickes to give theirs a go.

There is an awful big difference between all the composts and it seems that you can't rely on the same one year after year like you used to.

skyelass

« Reply #153 on: May 14, 2011, 10:56 »
Ive used westland general compost for planting out my vegetables, the Humas enricher which was added to the new beds, with the soil and joh Innes no 1 for my seeds.

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #154 on: May 15, 2011, 13:55 »
I,ve used nothing else but B & Q multipurpose compost since Which Magazine trialled it and made it their Best Buy. I have never had any problems with it. I use it for seed sowing, potting on and grow bedding plants and veg in it.For tubs and baskets I supplement it with slow release fertilizer.

Goosegirl

« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2011, 15:50 »
Just looked at this thread - I bought some J Arthur Bower's with added John Innes and it is terrible - with loads of bark chippings and "hairy bits" so I am now interested in B&Q's stuff. I did buy some bags from Robinson's Mammoth Onion place near us a couple of years ago but I have forgotten its name. Might go back and see if they have any as it was great and smelled lovely!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

LilacSandy

« Reply #156 on: May 17, 2011, 18:31 »
Forgot about this thread and purchased 3 bags of John Innis on Sunday.  Dreadful stuff full of hard lumps of wood, I have filled nearly 3/4 of a 12" flower pot with the lumps that I am unable to use.  :mad: :ohmy: :ohmy: >:( >:(

davidmw

« Reply #157 on: May 19, 2011, 12:44 »
I agree with the B & Q remarks its not  very good.  I also found bits of black plastic and I seemed that it wasn't rotted down to well there were bits of branch etc in it

dugless

« Reply #158 on: May 25, 2011, 12:02 »
why not make your own compost with coir or peat if you want even buy in ready made compost from your councils and mix the fertiliser to suit yourself. if you search ,make your own compost by muntjac you will find many recipes 8)

The only problem with some council made compost is what is in it as some add wood that has been treated.

How do you search for( make your own compost by Muntjac )please.

I have tried putting it in the search box but it only refers me back here.
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

stompy

« Reply #159 on: May 25, 2011, 12:17 »
I need 6 bags for the greenhouse borders and will be buying Wicks multi purpose.

Used B&Q's multi and found it very twigy.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: May 25, 2011, 12:19 »
dugless, here's the link
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=3541.msg39598#msg39598

I did an advanced search for 'compost' by 'muntjac' and up a few threads popped  ;)

dugless

« Reply #161 on: May 25, 2011, 12:43 »
dugless, here's the link
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=3541.msg39598#msg39598

I did an advanced search for 'compost' by 'muntjac' and up a few threads popped  ;)

Thank you for that most helpful :) :)

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #162 on: May 26, 2011, 19:01 »
Could anybody tell me if Wilkos compost is any good
All the way from my allotment in beautiful Derbyshire. I'm in year 3 of my allotment and wish I'd caught the bug years ago, things growing from strength to strength

thecakebaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #163 on: May 26, 2011, 19:13 »
Wilko Compost can be very woody and bitty. if you only want it to fill a tub or something similar then it will be ok to use

Thephoenix572

• my lottie 2012
« Reply #164 on: May 26, 2011, 19:15 »
It would be for a tub for rhubarb seedlings

xx
What brand of Compost? 2012

Started by LilacSandy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 09:18
by DD.
xx
Brand new bed - but what can i put in it now?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post May 29, 2008, 13:23
by peapod
question
Brand new allotment

Started by BatterBits on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 28, 2011, 22:24
by Yorkie
xx
Which seed brand do you go for?

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 22, 2023, 00:35
by wolveryeti

Page created in 0.588 seconds with 38 queries.