vaccinations

• 2 Replies

kfoxey

vaccinations
« on: December 30, 2010, 12:37 »
hi chicken peops, i have 7 ex bat girls and am looking at adding to my brood, maybe with some pure breeds.  Could someone with experience please tell me what they have to be vaccinated against as standard? i have looked up and just cant get a consistent answer online. Many thanks  :lol:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: vaccinations
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 12:51 »
If you are looking at getting pure breeds from a small breeder then the chances are they will not be vaccinated as there are so many vaccinations and they are very costly. Most vaccines come in lots of 500 or 1000 and there is no guarantee that they prevent the chicken from becoming ill (some vaccines have to be used with an hour of being opened and if that isn't done then it will not work). Some people also do not advise mixing vaccinated with non vaccinated birds - however I do have both and touch wood have not had any problems doing this with mine.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

Re: vaccinations
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2011, 09:23 »
My personal view is that for the backyard chicken keeper vaccinations are not necessary. If they are well looked after and the hygiene is good there is nothing to be gained. Vaccines came about because of the commercial ways of keeping chickens!! Most vaccines need to be administered to very young chicks and as Joyfull points out are NOT foolproof. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
VACCINATIONS!!

Started by chickenlady on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 31, 2008, 23:02
by chickenlady
xx
about vaccinations etc

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 19:04
by Aunt Sally
xx
Vaccinations

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 07:06
by hillfooter
xx
Vaccinations

Started by Kate and her Ducks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 26, 2009, 17:03
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.504 seconds with 31 queries.