sneezing chicken

• 14 Replies

cejx

• Experienced Member
sneezing chicken
« on: December 09, 2010, 12:19 »
My bullied featherless little ex bat has started sneezing.  Any advice?
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

helens-hens

Re: sneezing chicken
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2010, 13:18 »
Are there any other symptoms e.g. bubbles around the eyes or nostrils which would indicate something is wrong and perhaps a trip to the vet is needed? Back in the summer 1 of mine used to sneeze / cough occasionally when foraging around in dusty, dry earth so it doesn't always mean something is wrong. Does she have a temperature (I think you try & guage the temperature under the wing of the affected bird and compare that to the temperature under the wing of a healthy bird. Hope this helps...
Helen

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 09:22 »
As helen said it doesn't always mean there is something wrong.
Just check temperature under the wing & compare to the others that seem ok.
You can sometimes feel the difference with you hand.
I have one that does this now & then.
If you are still uncertain then take her to the vets.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 10:32 »
As helen said it doesn't always mean there is something wrong.
Just check temperature under the wing & compare to the others that seem ok.
You can sometimes feel the difference with you hand.
I have one that does this now & then.
If you are still uncertain then take her to the vets.

she seems to be a bit better - I'm just trying to concentrate on the bullying issue!  Bully number one has been separated for 2 days - she's going back into the run later.  Bully 2 will then be separated!  Bully's spending the nights in solitary in the downstairs loo - nice and warm - not so bad!  Little sneezy girl still having a rough time.
P1040587.jpg

helens-hens

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 11:47 »
I love the picture of bully 1 - it just shows the ridiculous lengths we have go to for these girls, but they're worth every bit of it!

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 12:54 »
I love the picture of bully 1 - it just shows the ridiculous lengths we have go to for these girls, but they're worth every bit of it!

I know, though have just been out to check, and little girl is now bleeding.  :-(  She's obviously had a rough rough time in the hour I've been at the shops.  I'm now going to separate bully 2.

Advice?

helens-hens

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 15:12 »
I haven't had to deal with this yet (these are my 1st hens and they came together). If all else seems to fail it may be worth looking at pecking bits (they are mentioned quite often on the forum). I know they sell them at the Domestic Wildfowl Trust (see link below). Have you tried anti pecking spray? Also, I know I saw somewhere recently on the forum that they had used vics (as in the anti-congestant!) to some effect (I guess any port in a storm as they say!)

http://www.domesticfowltrust.co.uk/products/Anti_Pecking_Products.html

bantam novice

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 15:56 »
If the bullying has drawn blood be ready with purple spray.  It really is called that though it is made from gentian violet.  Hens will continue to peck at red and  the spray also acts as an antiseptic.
Good luck
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 16:01 »
Hi, thanks for all your lovely answers.  After a long conversation with the Bat Hen Welfare Trust, we're going to have to keep her indoors for a few days as she's too many wounds.  Unfortunately this means she'll be a minus chicken in the peck order when reintroduced.  The poor little thing is bright purple and covered in a myriad of anti peck sprays and vicks.  I guess if the others really want her, they're gonna get her.  Bully One is returning to the coop after darkness when they're all a bit sleepy.

I've attached a photo of Little Girl pre purple spraying.   :-(
P1040607.jpg
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 16:04 by cejx »

helens-hens

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 16:11 »
Gosh looking at her, that has to be the right thing to do.... it nearly brought a tear to my eye. In spite of the injuries I'm sure I spotted a gutsy look in her eye - she'll pull through I'm sure. Do let us know how it goes.

orchardlady

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 16:23 »
Beak clips sounds the way to go, this is a nasty habit that really needs to be broken.

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2010, 18:28 »
Oh your poor hen.  I agree with Orchard Lady here.  You may need to go the beak clip route.  Good Luck and keep us posted

TeaPots

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2010, 20:47 »
Bless her. I think with so few feathers, she needs to be kept in a warmER place, til all all those beautiful stubby quills blossom into new shiny feathers.  Chookies are strangely attracted to the quill stubs, and like to pluck them out, I dont think they consider it bullying, so dont be cross with them. As for the wounds, they are not too bad, she should recover from those.  Dont keep her too warm, or you'll have probs when its time to put her back out into the cool. Good luck with her ...By spring you will need to look at these pictures to believe she is the same chook.  :D

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 11:16 »
Bless her. I think with so few feathers, she needs to be kept in a warmER place, til all all those beautiful stubby quills blossom into new shiny feathers.  Chookies are strangely attracted to the quill stubs, and like to pluck them out, I dont think they consider it bullying, so dont be cross with them. As for the wounds, they are not too bad, she should recover from those.  Dont keep her too warm, or you'll have probs when its time to put her back out into the cool. Good luck with her ...By spring you will need to look at these pictures to believe she is the same chook.  :D

she's had a snuggly night in the downstairs loo, and is now in the puppy crate next to the coop.  She's a bit hacked off at being stuck there and the others are a bit hacked off that they cannot get to her.  Bully chook was put back in with the others last night and immediately has established herself as top dog again!

Oh, bullied chook is now called Violet on the account that she is bright purple from all the spray.!

cejx

• Experienced Member
Re: sneezing chicken - UPDATE
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 13:51 »
Well, after much tooing and froing, we decided to have Violet re-homed.  We followed each bit of advice, and after witnessing how upset she got, and how horrendous the other girls were being to her, it came to a head at the weekend.  She's gone to live on a farm up the road, where hopefully she'll have a third stab at happiness.  Thanks for all your advice over this - I guess, some things really aren't mean't to be.

xx
Sneezing Chicken

Started by CoopersCoop on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 12:56
by CoopersCoop
xx
Sneezing chicken

Started by Lyn on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 16, 2010, 13:48
by Lyn
xx
Sneezing chicken - help plz!

Started by littlewitch on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 28, 2009, 20:22
by iowrooster
xx
Sneezing chicken

Started by z3na on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 07:47
by Bantymad

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 37 queries.