picking up hens

• 20 Replies

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
Re: picking up hens
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2010, 21:57 »
I have a handrail outside the foodshed and the hens line up on to this to get a few grains of maize each. This makes them easy to get hold of for spraying ,clipping and check overs. :)
Hi 8doubles
I think that sounds quite sweet, any piccies of them all lined up? 
I think I may try that idea, how high is the rail, can they jump up easily?

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 08:33 »
We got a couple of wooden pallets leaning against their shed and they love to jump up and down on this, looking out at the big wide world no doubt.  Its funny but our bluebells don't particularly like being picked up or the cuckoo maran, but the others are fine. :lol:

8doubles

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 08:51 »
I have a handrail outside the foodshed and the hens line up on to this to get a few grains of maize each. This makes them easy to get hold of for spraying ,clipping and check overs. :)
Hi 8doubles
I think that sounds quite sweet, any piccies of them all lined up? 
I think I may try that idea, how high is the rail, can they jump up easily?

Hi PHB the handrail is normal height about 90cm but they jump from the brickwork around the pond which is an easy 60cm flap.
The only time they fail to get up there is when they moult wing feathers, they still try though. :)
Sorry no piccies, really must try to find that camera cable. :)

evie2

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 13:05 »
They also like to stand right in front of you so you have to walk round them :lol:

Ours are out in the garden and I kept hearing tapping and the cat flap, flapping so went to investigate, it's the chickens waiting at the back door (where they spent yesterday) for their warm mash :lol:
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

rennoldson

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 14:32 »
Thanks for all your helpful advice. The main thing is that you've given me confidence to persevere and I 've already easily picked up Hattie (from Hatfield Peverel ) our Leghorn - tomorrow it's Mildred's turn too.
rennodson.

Can't see how to attach smiley!!!!

ehs284

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2010, 08:51 »
Most of ours don't mind being picked up (unless they're in the mood for a tease-the-human game). Indeed sometimes the lazy monkeys ask you to carry them back to the coop. The Welsummers and bantams don't like being held, however, if you've got them in front of you they will hold onto your hand and can be moved - just like in the pictures of falconers. We found this out by accident and in fact, most of them are quite happy to be carried this way. A bit slow and you can only carry one at a time. You might need to put a foot on your hand to show them what you want them to do. They then hold on and can be taken where you want. Sometimes they hang on when you want them to get down.

xx
Poo picking.

Started by zoeadh on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 09:36
by Pol
xx
poo picking

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 11:24
by Squiggly
xx
Poo picking

Started by jhub on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 10:12
by Sassy
xx
Poo picking

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:44
by janeheritage

Page created in 0.707 seconds with 36 queries.