picking up hens

• 20 Replies

rennoldson

picking up hens
« on: December 03, 2010, 18:28 »
Hello
As a new owner of 3 hens aged about 4 months, I am really enjoying reading everyones questions and ideas. I'd like my girls to be friendly and happy to be handled. They will all feed from my hands but only the Rhode Island red will allow herself to be picked up . The others, a Leghorn and a Bluebell, squark and run. I've tried every trick I can think of. Any advice?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: picking up hens
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 18:29 »
Welcome to the site   :D

I'll move your question over to the Hen House as that's where feathered-type questions go.

Feel free to pop back into the Welcome forum to introduce yourself  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 18:36 »
I have a handrail outside the foodshed and the hens line up on to this to get a few grains of maize each. This makes them easy to get hold of for spraying ,clipping and check overs. :)

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 19:08 »
Welcome Rennoldson!
I have some lovely Bluebells, a Maran and a leghorn too and they were very similar to your description of running off rosey and sometimes sounding as if I was trying to eat them!  I have now had them four weeks and they are getting pretty tame and often bend down and let me stroke and pick them up.  two things I would say that have worked:  1. Try to hand feed a lovely treat like mixed corn once a day - stay still and let them come and see.  Mine were quite skittish to begin, but persevere and they will associate you with this treat.  before you know it, they will follow you everywhere you go!  2.  Try to make yourself smaller so that they think you are a cockrel.. My son was able to handle ours before me as they thought he was one and would hunker down and wait - for him to pick them up.  :tongue2:  I find it is easier if I juke down a bit before attempting to pick them up and they usually stay calm and are then quite happy to be stroked.
Sorry if longwinded.  Good luck and hope you enjoy your ladies as much as I enjoy mine!  8)

evie2

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 19:17 »
Hello rennoldson, welcome to the chicken family :D

Just as Tigerwren said, steady perseverance, I find if they curtsy it's easier and a wee treat doesn't go amiss either :D
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 19:38 by evie2 »
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

jinty1911

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 19:23 »
When they are in the egg laying frame of mind (only 1 is at the moment), if I bend over them, they curtsy so are easy to pick up and cuddle.  Dont know if they like it though.  :dry:
Jinty

jinty1911

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 19:27 »
N mine dont just follow me, they walk backwards in front of me so that I trip over trying not to stand on them.   :lol:  :lol:
Jinty

8doubles

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 19:37 »
Some hens never curtsey to you and it is not a bad thing. The one hen of mine that does is a menace to herself being underfoot in front of hoes and putting her neck in front of closing doors.
A bit wilder can be good.

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 19:41 »
what exactly is curtsying?  many people talk of it, and I dont understand what it is..? x
Lavender Araucanas, SS Hamburgs, White Wyandottes and Italian Quail

evie2

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 19:44 »
It's when they lower themselves ready for the cockerel  :D

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 19:48 »
ohh do they stick their wings out to the side slightly?  because thats what one of ours does and i'm never sure if there is something wrong with her...

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 19:54 »
ohh do they stick their wings out to the side slightly?  because thats what one of ours does and i'm never sure if there is something wrong with her...

That`s it , shoulders out and stamp their feet. :)

CluckyChicken

• Experienced Member
    • Georgina's Araucanas
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 19:58 »
aww now I know what shes doing.  I thought it was her saying ' ahhh!! stay there!'  but then she wouldnt move and just stamp her feet... wierd, but at least I know it ok :)  thanks guys   :happy:

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 21:25 »
Thanks for asking the question, rennoldson.  I don't have my chickens yet, but when I do this will be one of the things that's important to me - they need to be willing to be handled.

From what I have read in this thread and others, there seem to be some common pieces of advice which I will attempt to summarise:
  • Tempt them towards you with their favourite treats.  Let them approach you, rather than you approaching them.
  • Lower yourself to their level (or raise them to yours by encouraging them to perch).
  • Learn their body language (eg the 'curtseying' mentioned here).
  • Be patient and keep trying.  Somewhere else it was mentioned that pullets are much flightier, but once they start laying they become much more willing to be handled.

I certainly hope these techniques work for mine!  It's inevitable that at some stage I will be fetching them from the neighbours' yards and I have no desire to be running around the neighbourhood chasing wayward fowls!  :blush:

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 21:50 »
Thanks for asking the question, rennoldson.  I don't have my chickens yet, but when I do this will be one of the things that's important to me - they need to be willing to be handled.

From what I have read in this thread and others, there seem to be some common pieces of advice which I will attempt to summarise:
  • Tempt them towards you with their favourite treats.  Let them approach you, rather than you approaching them.
  • Lower yourself to their level (or raise them to yours by encouraging them to perch).
  • Learn their body language (eg the 'curtseying' mentioned here).
  • Be patient and keep trying.  Somewhere else it was mentioned that pullets are much flightier, but once they start laying they become much more willing to be handled.

I certainly hope these techniques work for mine!  It's inevitable that at some stage I will be fetching them from the neighbours' yards and I have no desire to be running around the neighbourhood chasing wayward fowls!  :blush:

Just when you think you have them sussed they change habits and decide not to jump on your knee or be picked up without a struggle.
Hiding eggs, going broody they keep you interested.
Don`t rely on tameness , greed is their most reliable trait. :)

xx
Poo picking.

Started by zoeadh on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 09:36
by Pol
xx
Poo picking

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:44
by janeheritage
xx
poo picking

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 11:24
by Squiggly
xx
Poo picking

Started by jhub on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 10:12
by Sassy

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 31 queries.