Poo picking

• 21 Replies

jhub

• jane
Poo picking
« on: December 12, 2011, 00:22 »
Ok I know it's not a lovely topic but I need clarification as I feel I'm failing my responsibilities as a chicken keeper.

Whenever I read my chicken husbandry books or check this site they refer to poo picking.
I have an Eglu cube so it's easy to keep the roosting area clean. I use bark in the run and it's nigh impossible to spot the poo let alone pick it. I replace the bark every three months and use Stalosan monthly. I do not have sufficient space in my garden to move the run.

Hens are healthy and are wormed regularly.
Is this 'good enough' practice?

Thanks

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Poo picking
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 01:57 »
Personally I don't poo pick at all.  I use a deep litter system in the coop, which means there are micro-organisms living in the litter that 'digest' the poo.  I just add more litter to the top as the old stuff breaks down.  There is no smell.

My chickens are lucky not to be confined to their run very often, so the poo doesn't build up to unpleasant levels.  There is also a lot of organic matter in the soil so the chickens just dig the poo in and it disappears very quickly.

The only poo that really needs picking around here is on the lawn and paths.  And that's for human comfort, not chicken health.

So depending on your setup and husbandry methods, there is no absulute rule about poo picking.  I suppose the measure is really whether the coop and run smell clean and pleasant, and the chickens' feet and feathers are clean and dry.  Poo should never be left in the nest boxes.

One thing to be very vigilant for is the smell of ammonia.  If you smell ammonia it means the litter is wet and the micro-organisms are all out of whack.  Ammonia is harmful to the lungs of people and animals, so you would need to deal with it quickly in that case.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 09:12 »
Thanks Lindeggs,
The run is covered and there's no smell at all. The bark layer is 6" deep - apart from where they have dust baths.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 18:00 »
Since we're on the subject......

Her Ladyship currently prefers the straw nest option at night to her nice roosting bars and the poo picking isn't good....

I thought I'd try to wrap a slab of polystyrene with heavy duty plastic sheeting then cover again with dust free sawdust and eliminate the straw. Warm and poo pickin'easier...

Am I going a bt too far?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 08:32 »
It should be quite easy to poo pick with straw especially as you only have one chook. I would leave her as she is. She is ok being in the nest box as she is no longer laying. Covering something in plastic may lead to condensation and dampness. She does need a deep bed though as there is little ambient temperature ie from other chooks to help her keep warm. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 10:07 »
Thank you!

I'm afraid I couldn't resist trying it.  The straw was so full of poo I was glad to throw it out.  The polystyrene block is at the bottom with wood shavings covering it so I hope no condensation but I hear what you say.

I bought Eglu roosting bars for her and she poos on them.  Might adjust to a single roosting bar if this goes on - she's a walking poo factory!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 10:15 »
at least with the eglu roosting bars being plastic they are easy to clean  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 10:23 »
Yes!

The coop is my own design and quite unique.  I might upload the pics sometime.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:45 »
I reckon poo picking is personal choice, but the need varies according to the housing. 

I do poo-pick daily in the coop, under the perches & in the nest boxes. This is partly for the obvious cleanliness purpose, but it also gives the girls an opportunity to get used to me being around.  They are very funny as the often come in at the pop-hole while half of me is wedged in at the big dooor - they look around like Hyacinth Bucket checking up on the cleaner, then come & have a close look at my (undefended) face - more than once, I've been pecked on the teeth which is unnerving but sociable! 

And I have a good sniff for ammonia or pooey smells which, to a certain extent, drives my clean-out timings.

I also shovel up the big obvious lumps of poo in the run, mainly to reduce the risk of treading muck into the house.
ManicMum

jhub

• jane
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 11:18 »
Thanks everyone.
I poo pick in the house regularly, it's the run that concerned me but feel reassured my practice is ok.
My hens prefer to sleep in nest boxes as soon as weather turns cold so I place about 5  layers of newspaper vwith straw and remove and bin one layer every morning, it's a doddle to keep area clean.
Jane

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 13:20 »
That's a good idea.  I took the plastic off the polystyrene and its so warm to the touch.  I don't think she spent the whole night in her nest though if the poo trail is anything to go by....

Sarah Mitchell

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2011, 14:24 »
Hi Nerdle

From personal experience, I would recommend against using anything made of polystyrene in a chicken run or house.  When wandering around the garden one day last summer my hens discovered a polystyrene tray that had contained plug plants... and they pecked it and ate it... all... before I realised... I had a nervous wait for it to pass through their systems!  Thankfully they were OK   :)

Happy Christmas

Sarah
Mad chicken woman

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2011, 14:49 »
Thank you - yes I did think about that hence the plastic cover. 

She's had one night on it and its only just visible nder the wood shavings but no sign of any pecking. 

Hoping she won't be in the pecking mood when fluffed up and nesting at night. I'll keep an eye on it - the slightest peck and I'll take it out.  I do want to try it though as its so warm and easy to keep clean. Lets see.

Incidentally - I was adivsed that hens won't eat anything that's bad for them i.e. slug pellets etc - is that really so if yours ate the polystyrene tray?

jhub

• jane
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2011, 18:17 »
Hi Nerdle,
Just to let you know I tried insulating the nesting area with polystyrene and the hens demolished it- mostly just pecked and left.
Jane

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 18:23 »
OK
Lets see what its like tomorrow then. She seemed quite settled on it when I locked her in.

She has the whole garden during the day and never seems to be still for a moment so hoping she's tired at night!

xx
Poo picking

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 24, 2009, 20:44
by janeheritage
xx
Poo picking.

Started by zoeadh on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 13, 2010, 09:36
by Pol
xx
poo picking

Started by Lewjam on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 11:24
by Squiggly
xx
Help please, they are picking on the new girl

Started by Beano on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 14:54
by Fifitrix

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 37 queries.