Changing My Crop Rotation Plan

• 6 Replies

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
Changing My Crop Rotation Plan
« on: November 29, 2010, 11:07 »
Next year will be my third year on the plot and I am seriously considering changing my crop rotation.

I have 3 beds that are:

1.  Potatoes/roots
2.  Legumes / cucurbits / onions
3.  Brassicas

It should have been

1.  Potatoes/roots
2.  Brassicas
3.  Legumes / cucurbits / onions

Next year I can get this rotation how I want it, but it means either potatoes or brassicas will have to be put in the same ground for a second year.

Obviously I don't want to make problems for myself but I’m thinking that the potatoes should be the ones to stay where they are as they are probably least prone to disease.

Any comments anyone?

RichardA

Re: Changing My Crop Rotation Plan
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 11:20 »
In my opinion potatos should NOT go back in the same plot because of pests in the ground. Why not use the legumes/curcubits/onions as your turning point but rearrange the bed so curcubits go where onions once went etc. Of the lot legumes will best stand a second time in the same ground and many growers put runner beans in the same place every year as that is where they have their support frames built. Some also put onions in a set position but many would disagree with that.
Or go for a completely different crop such as sweet corn, celery, etc just for once. Crop rotation is not a rigid rule, just avoid repeating crops within a short time, I rotate on a 5 year basis because I can. Also watch ph, potatos dont like lime so lime after them for the brassicas and lime less for legumes etc.

domw001

• Msg. To Mother Nature: Just Bring It!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 11:34 »
I can leave the Legumes / cucurbits / onions where they are (rearranged within themselves) and I could move the potatoes on but it would mean the brassicas will be planted where they were last year…..next year they will be where they are now  ???

Like this:

1.  Potatoes/roots
2.  Legumes / cucurbits / onions
3.  Brassicas

1.  Legumes / cucurbits / onions
2.  Brassicas
3.  Potatoes/roots

1.  Legumes / cucurbits / onions
2.  Potatoes/roots
3.  Brassicas

1.  Potatoes/roots
2.  Brassicas
3.  Legumes / cucurbits / onions

Obviously this plan involves brassicas being planted in the same spot every 2 years (until 2013 when then will go onto plot 1).
I don’t seem to have a clubroot problem and hopefully liming will reduce the chances.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 11:36 »
TheRHS 3 year rotation plan,
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=124
and the wartime Dig for Victory rotation
http://www.earthlypursuits.com/AllotGuide/DigforVictory1/DigForVictory1_2-3.htm
are exactly what you already have, so there is really no drastic need to change.

the brassicas will actually enjoy the extra nitrogen left behind by the roots of the legumes, which is why many plans advise you to rotate this way around :)

Don't worry too much, as long as you don't follow a crop with exactly the same again it doesn't really matter.

noshed

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 17:18 »
You could mingle the beds up a bit - I just try to avoid putting the same stuff in the same place every year. This year I'm rejigging my beds around slightly to allow for a bit of change but I'm mainly concentrating on getting the soil up to snuff with compost and manure and zapping the pesky bindweed.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 20:21 »
I noticed that rotation plans seem to vary. I just keep moving stuff round the plot and end up with a 4yr cycle, so far so good.

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2010, 16:29 »
Before I finished digging out all my veg beds, I had to make do with what I had; I just didn't plant anything in the same soil area as the year before. I now have 4 beds - roots including leeks, potatoes, beans and peas, brassicas with sweetcorn. Just to put a small spanner in the works - I rotate clockwise not anti-clockwise (widdershins) - don't ask me why as I am not particularly superstitious - it just feels right. Does anyone else on here do the same??? ???
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
4 yr rotation plan

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 17:12
by MoreWhisky
xx
How to plan your rotation?

Started by chicken on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2009, 19:24
by mumofstig
xx
veg not included in the rotation plan

Started by little sweetpeas on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 07, 2007, 09:01
by corndolly
xx
Non Brassica Rotation Plan Advice Needed

Started by spartus117 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 14, 2014, 12:40
by crh75

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 38 queries.