i am seriously missing my allotment!

• 115 Replies

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
Re: i am seriously missing my allotment!
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 19:58 »
I have a private allotment and apparently no sheds are allowed, but 2 have appeared and who is there to say no anyway - its private.  I wait to see the allotment police!!!!. 
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2010, 20:13 »
How sad is this, I go down to my allotment in all weathers, take a thermos, a good book and if i can't find anything to do (even including sweeping out the shed!) I sit in my greenhouse and read! or go for a quick walk and see who is about to have a gossip with!

I know - tragic but i don't care. I would go mad if i didn't get down there at least once a week.  :tongue2:

nothing sad about that.........just a little bit funny  :D
LISA X X X

CHICKENGIRL

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 00:36 »
mines looking pretty good at the minute   -   its under a foot and a half of snow!    :blush:

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 06:33 »
mines looking pretty good at the minute   -   its under a foot and a half of snow!    :blush:

thats great, cos the you can tell yourself that under the snow its all well dug over well manured no weeds, and so good the soil looks like breadcrumbs !

Gleavo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2010, 23:41 »
Well I am at a loss!

Got mine in Sept - covered in couch.

Only dug and cultivated (i mean dug the crouch out) of 1/5th so far - have replaced all the glass in the greenhouse, all I have dug is covered in black plastic/newspaper. I've panted wintering onions and was all ready to keep going with the digging out of the couch roots and lo and behold - 'earth stood hard as iron'!

Far too hard to dig with a fork and pick the roots out of. Got 12 days of Christmas off but prob looking at the same situation!

have to wait until the ground thaws and play catch-up now I suppose...

harry

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 13:02 »
I only got my plot in January but worry about it if idon't go and see it at least :nowink: :wacko: :D once a week
Hurray finally retired
two plots now 31A and 35A

zazen999

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 10:08 »
Well I am at a loss!

Got mine in Sept - covered in couch.

Only dug and cultivated (i mean dug the crouch out) of 1/5th so far - have replaced all the glass in the greenhouse, all I have dug is covered in black plastic/newspaper. I've panted wintering onions and was all ready to keep going with the digging out of the couch roots and lo and behold - 'earth stood hard as iron'!

Far too hard to dig with a fork and pick the roots out of. Got 12 days of Christmas off but prob looking at the same situation!

have to wait until the ground thaws and play catch-up now I suppose...

I'd spend the time covering every inch of the undug area with cardboard; even if it is over snow. Put clods of clay or bricks/plastic milk cartons filled with water to weigh the cardboard down.

Weakening the couch really pays dividends, don't allow it access to sun and when you do dig it over, it will be so much easier to tackle!

MoreWhisky

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2010, 12:02 »
I envy you folks that have Sheds and greenhouses on your plots.

One of the reasons for my giving up the allotment was that we weren't allowed anything other than a Council bought Tool shed, about 4 foot high.

This meant being exposed to all weathers and the place is deserted in Winter, as you can imagine.

No permanent structures allowed, nothing over 6 foot high (cages and such) and even then they have to be taken down at the end of the season....

Now, I can build what I want, where I want plus have a proper Shed and access to the kitchen anytime I fancy a cuppa.  :)

Does anyone else have similar restrictions imposed by their Allotment Association?

A friend in mine has a 4ft rule on his lotty site. He says its funny when a shower comes along as u can see ppl just managing to sit on a chair in there sheds to keep dry. Silly rule.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

harry

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2010, 11:13 »
Someone on my allotments has dug down two feet so with the four feet above ground now has plenty of room :dry: :blush: :ohmy:

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2010, 15:13 »
Someone on my allotments has dug down two feet so with the four feet above ground now has plenty of room :dry: :blush: :ohmy:

very clever  :)

SkipRat

« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2010, 21:30 »
I had my old plot for about 6/7 years and had to give it up a year ago due to a house move  :(
Im number 1 on the waiting list of a very local site and can't wait to get started.
So imagine how i feel, it's like something is missing  :lol:
The sowing/planting season is only10 weeks away so it'll soon be here  ;)
I just hope i get a plot before then :unsure:

Andy

I wonder what site you,ve got your name down for? I,m on the Gypsyville allotment site. Good luck with obtaining a new plot.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

lacewing

« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2010, 09:09 »
I miss my plot, I miss the exercise, I miss the fresh air, I miss the people, I miss the wild life and I miss Oscer the cat who is a daily visitor to the plot. 
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2010, 15:41 »
I miss my plot, I miss the exercise, I miss the fresh air, I miss the people, I miss the wild life and I miss Oscer the cat who is a daily visitor to the plot. 

OMG you've got it really bad haven't you  :D, not long now, only a few more weeks till the beginning of the year and then we can start planing and before you know it spring will be here, and us poor plot deprived lunatics  :wacko: will be happy once more  :)

lacewing

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2010, 16:34 »
Thank you 'needssomehelp'  I feel reassured now, :happy: at least I know it won't go on forever :D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 16:39 by lacewing »

starry

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 12:52 »
only 10 weeks to the growing season ?? ooo cant wait, want to start planting seeds again watching things grow and feeling the sun on my back ! we have a no structure  law on our site so I am a bit of a fair weather person and no loo either !!  roll on April I say  8)
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

xx
Pea flowers missing

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 15:28
by Salmo
xx
the missing bean

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 01:17
by Paul Plots
sad
missing asparagus

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 09:19
by Jeanieblue
xx
Missing in action.....??

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 19:12
by muntjac

Page created in 1.063 seconds with 30 queries.