i am seriously missing my allotment!

• 115 Replies

zazen999

Re: i am seriously missing my allotment!
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2010, 19:34 »
Please tell us how to do that a this time of year zazen999 !

You get a pot or tray.

Pop some compost in.

Sow some seeds.

Water gently.

Pop on windowledges or kitchen tabletops.

Things like onions can go straight into a greenhouse, coldframe, under upturned clear plastic containers as soon as they are germinated. Things like brassicas, lettuces, beetroot, broades etc; once they are an inch or so high.

Peppers and tomatoes - just sow a few and keep them indoors - windowledges during the day and tabletops at night. These won't be sown for a few weeks anyway - Mid Jan to Feb ish...[8 weeks away as mentioned earlier]

Peas for pea shoots - will germinate on windowledges. Also sprouting seeds, and microgreens....all of these you can sow year-round.

You can't all live in tiny flats with no windows and no coldframes and no greenhouses, no access to any facilities at all?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2010, 19:52 »
If you are experienced in this growing lark, you can grow some things early and grow them on under cover with varying degrees of success.
However, I don't think it is a good idea to encourage those with less experience to do so, as they get disheartened when they fail :(

zazen999

« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2010, 20:06 »
Jeez - I'll go back and delete it all then!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2010, 20:11 »
Jeez - I'll go back and delete it all then!

The remark wasn't aimed at you personally zazen999  :ohmy:....more of a reminder to everybody, myself included.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2010, 20:14 »
If you are experienced in this growing lark, you can grow some things early and grow them on under cover with varying degrees of success.
However, I don't think it is a good idea to encourage those with less experience to do so, as they get disheartened when they fail :(

How can the less experienced become more experienced, unless they try some of these things though  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: December 17, 2010, 20:16 »
ahh dont be like that, im sure it wasnt ment to upset you x x x :)
LISA X X X

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2010, 20:26 »
How can the less experienced become more experienced, unless they try some of these things though 

Are you picking on me now  ;)

IMO you need to get the hang of sowing and growing in ordinary conditions first, before you start on the more challenging stuff.
Only then do you stand a bit better chance of things working out right, and won't get too upset when things don't..................that's all!  :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2010, 20:55 »
It's a bit like learning anything - you have to learn the basics before you can tackle the advanced tasks.

Some one who has GCSE biology would not be expected to know all about brain surgery.

zazen999

« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2010, 21:12 »
It's a bit like learning anything - you have to learn the basics before you can tackle the advanced tasks.

Some one who has GCSE biology would not be expected to know all about brain surgery.

So this is a beginners forum then?

I thought it was for all comers?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2010, 21:14 »
It is for all comers.

All opinions and approaches are welcome.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: December 17, 2010, 21:27 »
You get a pot or tray.

Pop some compost in.

Sow some seeds.

Water gently.

Pop on windowledges or kitchen tabletops.

Things like onions can go straight into a greenhouse, coldframe, under upturned clear plastic containers as soon as they are germinated. Things like brassicas, lettuces, beetroot, broades etc; once they are an inch or so high.

Peppers and tomatoes - just sow a few and keep them indoors - windowledges during the day and tabletops at night. These won't be sown for a few weeks anyway - Mid Jan to Feb ish...[8 weeks away as mentioned earlier]

Peas for pea shoots - will germinate on windowledges. Also sprouting seeds, and microgreens....all of these you can sow year-round.

You can't all live in tiny flats with no windows and no coldframes and no greenhouses, no access to any facilities at all?

I don't live in a flat, but have limited window sill space and single glazing.  The temperature in my back downstairs room, even with radiators on, has been recorded at 10 degrees owing to the size of the windows and 75 year old back door.

I very much doubt that seeds will happily germinate and then grow on, happily surviving the temperature excesses on the window, with cold down draughts in what have been -17C temperatures outside (-6 to -8C has been usual of late).

I don't have a greenhouse or cold frame and therefore can't put early starters out there.

I know from experience that peppers and tomatoes started off on windowsills in April get incredibly leggy from low light levels and because there's nowhere sheltered to grow them on once they are a decent size.  I've had tomato plants 2' tall with only 4 or 5 pairs of leaves because they have become etiolated through inadequate light levels - even with DD's foil behind them  :)  Starting them off two months earlier than that, without plans for growing them on, is going to lead to heartache.

All that I was trying to point out was that if you have the facilities, it's great to experiment; but many people don't have the facilities, and there are pitfalls to be aware of so that you don't get disappointed by constant failure and not understanding the horticultural reasons behind it. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 21:29 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #56 on: December 18, 2010, 06:58 »
i think with the amount of seed you get in one packet, most people woulld have enough to experiment with.  if you dont give it a go youll never know. but at the end of the day its  what may of worked for one may not work for someone else.
 ive found in my first season of growing that, even if you follow the instructions on the packet it doesnt mean that everything will go as it should.  :(

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2010, 00:01 »
Harking back to the title of this thread, I'm missing the people on our allotment site since we moved and the quality soil I'd nurtured. However, I'm sure I'll enjoy the challenge of starting a new veg patch when the snow finally goes!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2010, 06:40 »
Harking back to the title of this thread, I'm missing the people on our allotment site since we moved and the quality soil I'd nurtured. However, I'm sure I'll enjoy the challenge of starting a new veg patch when the snow finally goes!

John you are so right, i only had a frew months to get to know the people on my allotment but those that i did get to talk to were lovely, there is one old boy opposite me called Bob, what a fountain of knowledge he is, and just very good company.
good luck with starting again, i got given a second plot which has never been used before so i have to start on that one, but when the weather warms up a bit......i am a wimp !

(edited to clarify quote)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 09:32 by mumofstig »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2010, 10:44 »
I only got this plot in May, so was thrilled when I bumped into one of the OBs this morning, he said the OBs agree that I had the best winter cabbages on the site and had done very well for my first year. I am soooo chuffed, silly I know, but I am  :happy:

Roll on next year ;)

sad
missing asparagus

Started by Jeanieblue on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 02, 2009, 09:19
by Jeanieblue
xx
Missing in action.....??

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 19:12
by muntjac
xx
Pea flowers missing

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 15:28
by Salmo
xx
There is a thread missing.

Started by legendaryone on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:54
by Annie

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 38 queries.