Pea flowers missing

• 3 Replies

Salmo

Pea flowers missing
« on: May 22, 2011, 00:33 »
I sowed Kelvedon Wonder on 17th March and they have been growing vigorously except for the tips being scorched by the frost earlier in the month. Soon after the frost a few flowers appeared and I duly covered with enviromesh to protect from pea moth.

I have been thinking for a day or two that there should be more flowers appearing. I lifted the net today to look closer and in the 10 foot row there are about 10 pods about 2 inches long and just a few flowers low down.

I think that the frost may have caught the flowers developing in the growing tips. All I can do is hope that a flush of flowers appears.

Has anyone else got this problem?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Pea flowers missing
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 09:21 »
My peas have only grown to about half their normal height before flowering, and there are a lot less flowers and they are about 3 weeks early. I've picked a few this week.
Down here it's probably due to the lack of rain, despite some watering  :(
Are you in a dry area as well?

Salmo

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 12:26 »
We have had no real rain since February. Something like 5% of normal. Crops are growing well enough but need water for germination and establishing things planted out.

Ryegrass/clover green manure dug in where the peas are. The peas are normal height but have no flowers. The flowers low down are like the late flowers you usually get on peas. The problem is going to be that if they do decide to have a flush of flowers they are going to crop at the same time as, or later than, the later sown crop. So much for my plans of successional sowing.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 15:28 »
Just to bring you up to date with the non-flowering peas.

They have decided to produce lots of flowers on 2 inch shoots at the very base of the plants.

I cannot see that these will ever come to anything so I have pulled them up. Before I did so I picked all seven pods and ate them. Although they were good it did remind me that I should really be harvesting a full crop now.

xx
potatoes..flowers or no flowers

Started by peedee555 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 21:07
by hanssg
xx
There is a thread missing.

Started by legendaryone on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 20:54
by Annie
xx
the missing bean

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 01:17
by Paul Plots
xx
Missing Radishes

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 16, 2010, 17:04
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 38 queries.