i am seriously missing my allotment!

• 115 Replies

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
i am seriously missing my allotment!
« on: November 22, 2010, 07:15 »
roll on spring, my lottie is way to muddy to do anything, i have now bought all of my seeds for next year, i have done plans, plans and more plans on what to plant where, and i just want spring to be here so i can get going!
i have only had my plots since june, and those few months flew past, i just feel at loose end now, i drive past my plot most days and have to go and check its ok.....a bit like a new baby sleeping :wacko: lol
i bet im not the only one feeling like this....... am i ???
LISA X X X

Benandbill

Re: i am seriously missing my allotment!
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 07:32 »
You sure are not...  We've had ours since April and I feel much the same, I yearn for it during the day when I can't be there and in the night, it's too dark now.  Like yourself, there's not a lot left for us to do there, I dug the last bit of ground ready to use on Saturday and we've already started planning what we're going to put in there when the time comes.  I do have my winter onions that have leaves on them and my garlic is starting to show, so I'll pop over on the odd weekend morning just to look at it all....  You have our sumpathy though  ;)

Coach

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:33 »
Had my plot for 5 years still go there in all weathers. Just to get out of the wife with her vacuum cleaner. :tongue2:

Always find something to do 8)
It all depends what you put into the ground, to what you get out

stompy

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 09:05 »
I had my old plot for about 6/7 years and had to give it up a year ago due to a house move  :(
Im number 1 on the waiting list of a very local site and can't wait to get started.
So imagine how i feel, it's like something is missing  :lol:
The sowing/planting season is only10 weeks away so it'll soon be here  ;)
I just hope i get a plot before then :unsure:

Andy

fatbelly

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 15:45 »
I still go to the plot 2 or 3 times per week.
Currently I am in the middle of my winter digging with a spade.
That should be finished by late January when I will start Liming the Brassica bed and then in March I will start forking over the whole plot to get any weed roots that I missed in my November / December digging.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

digalotty

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 19:10 »
to be honest im missing the exercise could do with an hour or two in the week
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

zazen999

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 19:12 »
November is the only month we hold back on lottie based activity...we have beds and paths so no mud on ours!

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 19:45 »
I had my old plot for about 6/7 years and had to give it up a year ago due to a house move  :(
Im number 1 on the waiting list of a very local site and can't wait to get started.
So imagine how i feel, it's like something is missing  :lol:
The sowing/planting season is only10 weeks away so it'll soon be here  ;)
I just hope i get a plot before then :unsure:

Andy

Oh poor you  :(
i do hope you hear soon x

Babstreefern

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 19:54 »
I dug my beds during end August/September, so that's one job out of the way.  My OH has just put manure on the asparagus beds, and my next job is, weather permitting, on Saturday, when I'll be moving my goosegog bushes and my cherry and apple trees, then its planting my onion seeds between Christmas and New Year - just to say there's always jobs that need doing :tongue2:
Babs

veggieman

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 08:49 »
I have also done most of my veggie patch digging and have put loads of Shetland pony muck onto it. I have bags and bags of seaweed all ready to be spread on top but the ground is far, too wet right now to step out onto it.
However, I am constantly looking out at the patch wanting to be out there. That is part of the pride involved with the hobby.
I am spending my time, throwing away the really old seeds and deciding what I want to grow for next year so it is not time wasted.
If I can grow things in Shetland, then you can certainly grow things where you are!

Christine

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 17:04 »
The ground is sodden here and the weather wet to settling snow so it's just not possible to do the odd jobs that are still standing around to do. A weeks' fine weather would just about enable me to get round to doing the list of bits and pieces. Won't happen in the near future though.

Am doing walk pasts and putting household items on the compost heap only at the moment. Bored, bored, bored.

JimS

• The Snail Whisperer
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 19:02 »
I gave up my allotment in September, for two 3x1.5m raised beds in the garden.. Using the 'Square Foot' method.

I must admit, for the first month or so, it felt a bit strange but now I don't miss it at all.

I have a pile of fresh horse manure under a tarp ,brewing merrily away and two 'daleks' churning out lovely soil. Getting ready for the new season.

In some ways it has become more enjoyable as it has become more manageable...

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 19:08 »
How sad is this, I go down to my allotment in all weathers, take a thermos, a good book and if i can't find anything to do (even including sweeping out the shed!) I sit in my greenhouse and read! or go for a quick walk and see who is about to have a gossip with!

I know - tragic but i don't care. I would go mad if i didn't get down there at least once a week.  :tongue2:
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

diggerjoe

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 20:51 »
Went down and tidied the shed at the weekend ,made tea sat a bit, looked out of window Ahhhh I love my plot. :D roll on Saturday

JimS

• The Snail Whisperer
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2010, 10:25 »
I envy you folks that have Sheds and greenhouses on your plots.

One of the reasons for my giving up the allotment was that we weren't allowed anything other than a Council bought Tool shed, about 4 foot high.

This meant being exposed to all weathers and the place is deserted in Winter, as you can imagine.

No permanent structures allowed, nothing over 6 foot high (cages and such) and even then they have to be taken down at the end of the season....

Now, I can build what I want, where I want plus have a proper Shed and access to the kitchen anytime I fancy a cuppa.  :)

Does anyone else have similar restrictions imposed by their Allotment Association?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:26 by JimS »

xx
The Missing Link!

Started by green fingers on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 00:27
by JimS
xx
Pea flowers missing

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 15:28
by Salmo
xx
the missing bean

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2010, 01:17
by Paul Plots
xx
Missing in action.....??

Started by GafferGamgee on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 19:12
by muntjac

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 29 queries.