Outdoor Cucumber

• 20 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Outdoor Cucumber
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 20:35 »
I actually got quite a decent crop this year from my outdoor-grown Marketmore (the 2 surviving plants out of 5, that is!)

Seems that if you can get them past the stage where they seem to wish they had never been taken out of the packet they can do quite well!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

stompy

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2010, 09:25 »
I grow marketmore, i gave my dad 2 spare plants last time i grew them and his did better outside than my 2 plants grown in the green house.
And his tasted better.
I also used to grow an indoor variety too (camilla) not in the same flavour league as the out door varietys, and the out door ones are allot cheaper too  ;)

savbo

« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 11:12 »
For 2 years I've tried Long Green Ridge outdoors but almost all have been bitter so definitely wouldn't recommend them

fatbelly

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 15:15 »
Looks like Marketmore are a winner  :D
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 20:59 »
I've never had very good results from Marketmore, but this year I tried Cetriolo Marketer and they were fantastic. I stuck them in grobags next to a fence and they shot up the wire, throwing off fruit all the way up. I got a huge crop from them for very little effort. Oddly, I stuck one spare plant in a pot in the coldframe and that one didn't do so well, they seem to prefer outdoors.

paintedlady

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2010, 05:52 »
I think the trick with growing cucurbits in general is that you need to sow them during a warm spell in late spring, and fingers crossed the heat wave carries them through past germination to baby plants ready to plant out.  Any cold checks and they nearly all sulk and despite improvements in weather and increased sunshine and daylight hours, just don't want to perform as well.  I've found late sowings (end of May and even up to end of June for fast maturing crops) and they grow like weeds!  The exception being butternut - they need a longer growing period so you get caught out at the other end of the season when temperatures start to drop.
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
outdoor cucumber

Started by mumof4 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post April 08, 2008, 23:01
by gobs
xx
Outdoor cucumber

Started by Learnerlady on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 28, 2022, 16:32
by Potty Plotty Lotty
xx
Outdoor cucumber

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 23:18
by bonfire
xx
Outdoor cucumber - market more

Started by sathya on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2009, 16:10
by paintedlady

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 30 queries.