Getting a new allotmet

• 7 Replies

ecky

• Experienced Member
Getting a new allotmet
« on: November 23, 2010, 22:13 »
I keep reading welcoming newbies. One thing I notice that there seems to be different starting times. My site is March. At the time I got it my thoughts where it should have been Nov/Dec to give a me chance to dig over and clean ready for spring.
Having put in spring greens this year I think I've changed my mind.
The point being --- what do people think is the ideal or optimum time in the year for a change over?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Getting a new allotmet
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2010, 22:57 »
I got mine in may and got it dug and growing fairly quickly, so had some good main crop harvests in the first year :) It's sandy soil so I had no trouble getting the weeds out!

This winter I've been moving stuff and paths around and will get it exactly how I want it, ready for an early next year.

I think if you get your plot in the autumn/winter you have a lot of time for digging, but the drawback is that you can't plant anything to lift your spirits while you carry on.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2010, 23:27 »
Mums right I think

On our site we decide in May as we think that if they havent been worked for the new growing season after initial March warning letter then thats that (there is an op to say if there are any problems - most dont give a reply or a phone call)
This means that plots are allocated in June - late but still enough opportunity to get a crop of something.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 00:08 »
Since I asked the question I had a look on google earth for our village. There are 3 other sites I know of locally and looking at them it  it appears the number of used plots is 173 used and not 19. I am on a private site with 50 used and 38 negleted. I have knowledge, because of enquiries, that most of the unused plots on our site the rent is paid every year but are not used. They seem to be kept for sentimental reasons .It was my grandads plot etc

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2010, 07:53 »
My site used to have April as the change over for new tenants, being the new financial year. They recently changed it to January, as there had been so many complaints from newbies that they couldn't get on top of a neglected plot as it was the perfect time of year for growing...........................weeds especially. Often by the time they cleared a bit and planted it the weeds had grown back. Now by starting in Jan they can get it cleared and plant thing to grow to eat which keeps up the motivation. It also seems that plots are staying in shape better now with less changing to newbies and peeps keeping them.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

Chicken Pete

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 14:42 »
Our allotment site runs Oct to Sept (rent due)so that new people taking over allotments that have been given up can begin preparing the ground through the winter.  We are in the process of opening a further 8 plots which will be available to the allotmenteers  :happy:from end of this month.
It is pleasing to be opening more allotments as over the previous years our site has gradually closed down,however, we are nearly back to the original site :) and have an active Allotment Assoc.....

Christine

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 17:01 »
We have a system of three letters following on from committee inspections. We are always hopeful that changeovers can be done at this time of year so that people have the winter to prepare for the next growing season and we always hope that people was come in and say if they want to give up earlier rather than later in the rent paying months (January to March).

Seems to work quite well up here.

fatbelly

Re: Getting a new allotment
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 17:01 »
Our site year runs from 1st Jan until 31st Dec.
When someone has given up we let the new people know early Feb.

99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

xx
Allotmet Advice

Started by francais on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post January 10, 2010, 21:48
by granjan

Page created in 0.508 seconds with 38 queries.