Another sick chick

• 4 Replies

annfill

Another sick chick
« on: November 15, 2010, 02:18 »
Hello - I'm a new member here.  I got here because I want help with a crook chook showing the same symptoms as sick chick. I have beaten an egg, added crushed garlic and a little water to feed her with a syringe on day one and beaten egg with a little water on days two and three.She is too weak to resist, but I did this last time she got sick and she improved after three days.This time she has a lice infestation (probably from wild birds getting in) which I will treat with dusting powder. I am also concerned she may have worms- I haven't seen any in her droppings. I hope the garlic will help with worms . Am I doing the right thing? She is my  favourite chook and I will miss her if she dies. I am keeping her in a separate hospital area during the day but she is in the hen house with the other girls at night.

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
Another sick chick
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 07:34 »
If you think she might have worms or hasn't been wormed recently, people seem to recommend Flubenvet.  I am not very experienced though so I am sure that lots of people will give you advice.  Good luck and fingers crossed!

Sassy

Another sick chick
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 09:53 »
Stongly recommend Flubenvet for her and all your chickens if you suspect worms and for routine 'maintenance'. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Jeanette

Re: Another sick chick
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 13:06 »
Yes worm them with flubenvet, you could also put a drop of frontline on the back of her neck to get rid of the lice that she has got it will also make sure she wont get anymore for 3 months. Sorrt you will ned the cat/ kitten size of frontline.

bantam novice

Re: Another sick chick
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 13:36 »
Hello Annfill,
welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of henaholics  :).

I'm so sorry to hear about your crook chook  :(.  I would agree with the previous posters that Flubenvet and Frontline are good places to start.   

If you are not from England they might have different names where you live.

You could also see if she has a temperature.  You can do this by feeling under the wing of one of your other hens then under her wing to see if she has a temperature.

It may be worth your while finding a local chicken-friendly vet.

Good Luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

xx
another sick chick

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 13:23
by animal mad
xx
Sick Chick!

Started by Le Coq on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post April 28, 2007, 08:09
by Aunt Sally
xx
Please help - Sick chick

Started by TanyaGibson on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post November 08, 2013, 11:44
by ehs284
xx
sick chick

Started by wiggy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 15, 2010, 19:37
by joyfull

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 30 queries.