What is your favourite type of hen!?
« on: November 14, 2010, 15:06 »
What is your favourite breed of hen!!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 21:44 by Ice »

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: What is your favorite type of hen!?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 15:10 »
I like most breeds but my favourite is the lemon millefleur sablepoot dutch booted bantam, I haven't ticked the bantam bit though as there are some bantams I don't really like.
Staffies are softer than you think.

joyfull

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 16:09 »
there really is no point to this vote as you have not mentioned all the different breeds, and don't forget the assorted hybrids. Bantams are also not just one breed there are many both true bantams and those that have a large fowl equivelent.
If you wish to conduct a poll about this please include all breeds as some of our members have some very rare breeds and are doing their best to keep such breeds going.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 22:51 »
I hope that everyone (even those whose favourite breeds aren't listed) will say why these are their favourite hens.  I'm still trying to select hens for my flock and would love to know more about all the breeds, and why people love them so much!

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:29 »
Hi Lindeggs, sablepoot bantams are true bantams (i.e. they have no large fowl equivelent), they are tiny with feathered feet (very long feathers), they are not prolific layers (in fact mine haven't laid so far) but they have huge personalities - they love people and will often fly onto you and chat away. They become very tame very quickly and are great if you don't want your plants and grass digging up, however they do need a bit of extra care in winter - such as being kept undercover out of the snow.
In your swap post I have added details about my araucanas  :)

Kelloggs

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:44 »
Brahmas and Faverolles as the are large, gentle and very friendly ;)

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 09:09 »
must admit the cocks of both these breeds (in the large fowl anyway) are magnificent  :).
Strangly enough Kellogs when you first came on here I though you must have Welsummers as the cockerels of these are known as the Kellogs bird (the cocks are super but the girls are a bit mousy).

D

• Experienced Member
  • Bella
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 09:14 »
Although I've got a few birds and they are all relatively friendly with their own personnalities, I think Malay's are my favourite. I think they look great and despite what people say mine have been quite friendly towards me although fierce towards the other birds. To be fair I do like the looks of most game birds and the Asian hard feathered breeds.

Kelloggs

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 09:24 »
must admit the cocks of both these breeds (in the large fowl anyway) are magnificent  :).
Strangly enough Kellogs when you first came on here I though you must have Welsummers as the cockerels of these are known as the Kellogs bird (the cocks are super but the girls are a bit mousy).

Kelloggs was my beautiful Brown Leghorn, he was one of my first hens??? apart from he was a he :ohmy: I wanted a welsumer pullet but being a beginner got done................but I loved him. Sadly I lost him  :(but will never forget him :) and no other name would have been right for him ;)

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:29 »

Kelloggs was my beautiful Brown Leghorn, he was one of my first hens??? apart from he was a he :ohmy: I wanted a welsumer pullet but being a beginner got done................but I loved him. Sadly I lost him  :(but will never forget him :) and no other name would have been right for him ;)

sadly most of us have been done by unscrupurlous breeders at sometime - I have 3 araucana/silkie crosses sold to me as pure araucanas - they are now called Miss Sold, Miss Led and Miss Stake  :D Oh well you live and learn hopefully  ::)

Kelloggs

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 09:38 »
Well I also got a couple of Norwegians off him too ::) :wacko: beautiful birds....................I even got an egg once from one of them

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 09:42 »
they seem quite a rare breed over here but if you only got 1 egg then that may be why  :lol:

Kelloggs

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 09:47 »
I'm not 100% sure what they were but very large and pretty............but you live and learn
Rosie.jpg

joyfull

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 09:50 »
well she doesn't look like a Norwegian Jaerhons hen - they are clean legged, but yes she is pretty  :)

Kelloggs

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 09:54 »
trouble is if you don't know...........................you can can get breeders selling you what they want you to buy >:( and for a high price.

xx
What type is he ?

Started by Barnsley-Bill on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 15:20
by LittleRedHen
xx
What type?

Started by Craigx on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post November 07, 2012, 18:32
by Craigx
xx
What type to get

Started by billathome65 on Chicken Chat

11 Replies
Last post January 05, 2011, 19:26
by evie2
xx
My least favourite hen keeping job has to be ................

Started by ANHBUC on Chicken Chat

13 Replies
Last post June 25, 2011, 22:43
by NormandyMary

Page created in 0.177 seconds with 43 queries.