Bloomin' Whitefly......and Frost

• 11 Replies

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Bloomin' Whitefly......and Frost
« on: November 02, 2010, 22:02 »
Why is it that my lovely flowers at the allotment get knobbled by the first frosts, but the whitefly on the PSB are still going strong, in fact, I swear they're getting worse - does the frost not kill these flippin' pests?  :mad:. Jude.

Babstreefern

Re: Bloomin' Whitefly......and Frost
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 22:32 »
In a word, nothing kills them.  Even the weather we had last winter with all that snow and freezing cold temperatures only slowed them marginally :mad:

Babs

rubyrose

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 22:34 »
Hi i have the same problem with whitefly on PSB clouds of them. I had them in a tunnel to start with to. Not had frost where we are yet.

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 08:55 »
I've sprayed them 3 times with Provado Ultimate and still they come. Plus we've had a couple  of frosts!!

Anybody know where you get napalm from?

WG

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 10:45 »
I don't spray them, I cover them over with Enviromesh

Does the white fly actually do any damage to them?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 21:07 »
I've sprayed them 3 times with Provado Ultimate and still they come. Plus we've had a couple  of frosts!!

Please be very careful with repeated use of chemicals.  The following information is taken from the garden database held by defra.

There are 4 Provado Ultimate products currently licensed:

1. PU Bug Killer.  Only licensed for use on ornamental plants.

2. PU Bug Killer Concentrate.  Only licensed for aubergine (protected), house plant, ornamental garden plants, pepper (protected), tomato (protected) - 2 applications max per edible plant, and max 15ml product per litre of water.

3. PU Bug Killer Concentrate 2. Licensed for apple, aubergine (protected), blackberry, blackcurrant, blueberry, cherry, courgette (protected), cucumber (protected), gooseberry, house plant, loganberry, ornamental garden plants, pear, pepper (protected), plum, potato, raspberry, red beet, redcurrant, spinach beet, strawberry, tayberry, tomato (protected), whitecurrant.  Some max 2 applications, some 3, some 4.

4. PU Bug Killer Ready to Use.  Licensed for apple, aubergine (protected), cane fruit and bush fruit, cherry, courgette (protected), cucumber (protected), herb (outdoor), herb (protected), house plant, leafy brassica, lettuce (outdoor use only), lettuce (protected), ornamental garden plants, pear, pepper (protected), plum, plum (mirabelle), strawberry (outdoor), strawberry (protected), tomato (protected), tree (nuts).  Max 1 application for lettuce and brassicas.

Therefore only 1 of these 4 is demonstrated to be safe for use on brassicas - and only 1 application per crop is judged to leave safe residues.

I am not organic or anti-chemical, but do you really want to eat crops which have repeatedly been dosed by a chemical beyond the tested safe limits / which has not been proved safe at all?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Spana

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 21:17 »
What about trying the thing where you hold a sticky board over the plants, tap the plants to make the white fly fly so they stick to the sticky board :wacko: :lol:

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 21:34 »
As compostqueen has said , do they actually do harm?

I have them on my spring cabbages under my enviromesh so they got through that to.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 23:23 »
I think they are just unsightly. My brassicas seem fine, even the cavalo nero with its very bubbly, blistered leaves.

I think the whole point of growing your own is to eat veg that is not repeatedly sprayed with chemicals.   

But, each to their own  :)

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 15:28 »
I'm told a spray of dilute washing up liquid does the trick but I have yet to try it. If I brush past my PSB, it looks like it's snowing!  :(
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

gimli

« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 12:50 »
an old chap at my allotments said a week garlic spray would help.

just boil some garlic in a pan of water and pop the liquid into a bottle when cool
dont know if it works yet mind lol :D
gimli

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

angry
Bloomin' Wind!!!

Started by RookieJim on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 18:05
by seaside
xx
Bloomin weather!

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 05, 2020, 10:52
by jambop
xx
Bloomin' Weather

Started by puravida on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 11, 2008, 21:06
by gobs
xx
Bloomin Foxes

Started by Redwellies on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 27, 2007, 16:20
by Puff

Page created in 0.656 seconds with 38 queries.