Comfrey, how many square metres should i dedicate for this organic fertiliser?

• 16 Replies

digalotty

my neighbour has one and a half plots , and they have a 4ft square bed of comfrey .   they harvest the leaves into a bin with a tap on the bottom , the bin has a net draped in it to hold the leaves and they decompose into a liquid in the bottom of the bin...... very easy.
for ease and economy i like the bucket idea with the mesh in the bottom  :)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

Zippy

I have a tiny plot - 400 square feet not including paths - and my Comfrey area is about 10 square feet in addition to my growing space; about 5% then.  I will be slicing through my comfrey bed this late autumn and transplanting the slivers of root to expand my comfrey bed space.  This will be one square yard which used to be Jerusalem Artichokes (don't like them) and the space would be better used as Comfrey, and the spaces between and around my composters; space I wouldn't grow veg in anyway.

Comfrey is not the whole story though. I collect autumn leaves from a local Yoga centre and from a woodland copse along the way to the allotment. I also collect horse and alpaca manures from an organic stables nearby - about 120 stone per year.

Then there's a number of people i know who are happy to let me have their lawn mowings. I recently sneaked away from a wedding reception at about 10pm to fill my car with bags of mowings from an acre cut earlier that day! Bonus was my friend had also mucked out her hens and I had a bag of hen manure as well - yum!

In order to grow veganically the society advise to have about 40% of one's plot under green manure of some kind; supporting the other 60% for produce. Now that's not going to happen when you only have 400 square feet to play with, but if you take into account the biomass I bring in from all around, that probably does equate to 40 - 50% equivalent put into the plot every year. I have had the plot for three years now and am starting to see some good heart in the soil.

Comfrey press - I have two of these, screwed to the side of the shed with downpipe brackets so they can be slid up for emptying:

Four foot length of large diameter rainwater pipe feeding into a plastic funnel which empties into a plastic bottle (an old slug pellet container). comfrey is placed into the downpipe and weighed down with a pop bottle filled with water as a weight. The bottle has a string attached so I can pull it back up when the comfrey sinks down as it decomposes. The strong black comfrey juice is then decanted and bottled for dilution 1:10 when I want to feed plants.

Hope some of this helps.

xx
Organic potato fertiliser.

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 07:55
by Salmo
xx
comfrey fertiliser

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 22:04
by wrinkly1
xx
Organic Fertiliser for Chard, Kale and Spinach

Started by VegWill on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 00:03
by Kristen
xx
Comfrey liquid fertiliser

Started by Liverpool Brick on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 18:43
by cadalot

Page created in 0.839 seconds with 36 queries.