Comfrey, how many square metres should i dedicate for this organic fertiliser?

• 16 Replies

green_fingered_ash

I have a 125 square metre. allotment and im wondering how much to dedicate to comfrey (bocking 14)?

im just wondering roughly as it will vary year to year (what i grow) but having a figure i can use as a starting point would be appreciated.

Does anyone have a comfrey/nettle press? care to share pictures, i tried to diy one but i think i need something to create a sump maybe?

Typo's in thread title corrected for future search purposes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 14:33 by DD. »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
I wouldn't spend more than a couple of square metres but others may use more.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

green_fingered_ash

i was thinking more 10% of the plot? i dunno :S

gypsy

My plot is 188 sq m and I have about 3 sq m of comfrey, I could do with maybe a bit more but find it adequate for my needs.
Catherine

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
10% is a lot, particularly when you factor into the equation the space which will be taken up by compost bins, paths, any other permanent planting.

I really wouldn't sacrifice that much regular growing space for comfrey.

My plot is 150 sq yards and if I used 15 sq yards I'd be losing a lot of potential for other crops.

MOLUSC

• Experienced Member
just grow it along your fence or border.

andy135

It's like a weed on my plot. It surfaces in the middle of my beds no matter how far down I dig.
I just keep chopping the tops off and using it.

green_fingered_ash

maybe 5% would be a closer to the correct figure?

~6 square meters

savbo

Does anyone have a comfrey/nettle press? care to share pictures, i tried to diy one but i think i need something to create a sump maybe?

best system I've seen one here was the drainpipe-fixed-to-shed-side, search in Design and Construction. I just stuff plastic 2l milk containers with leaves, top with water and leave until needed...

lacewing

Bocking 14 is a sterile strain of comfrey and will not spread. I have a 20' row along the edge of my allotment. The plants are spaced 18" apart and I get 5-6 cuts per year, enough to fill a dustbin each time. I place a paving stone on top of the comfrey to act as a press. The dustbin has a small hole drilled out at the bottom to allow  the consentrated liquid to run out into a suitable container. I get approx. one gallon of liquid from each refill which I dilute 1-10.
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

green_fingered_ash

lacewing what size (and diamentions) is your plot and is this enough for your fertiliser needs or is it supplemented with something else?

i've improvised a comfrey press (2 x 15 litres buckets, one with a hole drilled in filled leaves and the other filled with rocks and water), im concerned that the liquid will not be able to drain out as the leaves block the hole? is this a problem for you?

rossco

• Experienced Member
  • Monty Don!
You need to bunch up some old chicken wire at the bottom of the bucket and put the comfrey on top before placing the weight on top of the comfrey.

This will allow the drainage required without blocking the drainage holes.

noshed

I have an old galvanised dustbin which I fill with water. Then I put comfrey leaves and a brick into an onion bag, tie it up and leave it to soak for a few weeks. Then I just dip my watering can in, fill it about a third full and top it up from the water butt. Then I water the stuff around and leave the plot soon afterwards...
I have four plants in a row on the edge of my plot and it seems to be enough for my purposes.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
I fill a bin bag with comfrey leaves, tie up the top and stab a couple of holes in the bottom of the bag with my finger. The bag is then balanced on a plastic storage box and left for a few weeks. The leaves turn to mush in the warm sunshine and lovely black stuff drips into the box. Easy  :)

Typo's in thread title corrected for future search purposes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 14:35 by DD. »
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

lacewing

lacewing what size (and diamentions) is your plot and is this enough for your fertiliser needs or is it supplemented with something else?

i've improvised a comfrey press (2 x 15 litres buckets, one with a hole drilled in filled leaves and the other filled with rocks and water), im concerned that the liquid will not be able to drain out as the leaves block the hole? is this a problem for you?

I do as rossco said, old chicken wire scrunched up will stop the hole getting blocked.
Comfrey is high in potash and I use the licquid for all my crops which require high potash.
I like to use blood fish and bone for other crops. I have two good size plots and find that I have plenty liquid to go round.

xx
Organic potato fertiliser.

Started by Judd on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 07:55
by Salmo
xx
comfrey fertiliser

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 18, 2013, 22:04
by wrinkly1
xx
Organic Fertiliser for Chard, Kale and Spinach

Started by VegWill on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post September 13, 2013, 00:03
by Kristen
xx
Comfrey liquid fertiliser

Started by Liverpool Brick on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 15, 2015, 18:43
by cadalot

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 37 queries.