Comfrey liquid fertiliser

• 13 Replies

Liverpool Brick

Comfrey liquid fertiliser
« on: January 09, 2015, 21:38 »
Hi everyone,
Last summer I made about 10 gallons of "comfrey tea" and I've got a lot of it left. The first question is, how long does it keep? I have it stored in 2 screw top barrels (which hiss reassuringly when opened and smell a lot). The second question is, when is the best time to apply it and how? (I know it has to be diluted 10:1) As I don't have a greenhouse on my plot yet I'm not growing tomatoes but do grow the usual stuff - beans, onions, cabbages, potatoes, courgettes, marrows etc etc.
By the way this is my first post (apart from saying hello) so I'm looking forward to receiving and hopefully giving plenty of advice.
Cheers in advance,
Andy
Plant it and it will grow.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
Re: Comfrey liquid fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 21:54 »
Hi and welcome,
firstly I have to ask- How did you manage that lot?  I'm on my first year of comfrey growing and might have a lemonade bottle full  :nowink: very jealous  :D  I've heard it stores just fine.
I'd bung it anywhere personally, starting late spring but best on the fruiting stuff- beans marrows, courgettes. 
Pumpkins like it too  :tongue2:

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:08 »
Welcome Andy! We make several gallons of comfrey tea every year, and it often gets mixed with nettle tea, and also Miracle Gro on occasions. I store the lot either in a 22 gallon butt, or an open tank, where we can just wander up and dip watering cans once a week. Leeks definitely respond as well as the others you and Pigguns mention! I note you're not growing toms, but they just love the stuff, and go mad!

Liverpool Brick

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 09:13 »
Thanks for the replies,
I'm glad it stores ok because I hate wasting anything. Thanks for the advice on when and how to use it. Pigguns - all I did to make it was fill a water butt with broken up leaves and stems of comfrey, just broken up by hand and filled to the neck, then topped up with water and waited. After a few months and a lovely whiff I drained the liquid into smaller sealed butts and tipped the goo from the first butt onto one of my raised beds, rinsed it and that was that.
Thanks again.

cadalot

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:45 »
I have a Comfrey pipe and have enough pure stuff to start me off this year in a 2.5litre container. I also have a dustbin with a lockable lid and a tap at the bottom and stuffed a hessian sack full of comfrey and chucked it in during last year, then I top up with the concentrate so I have Comfrey Tea on tap.

I will be giving the beds for the potatoes a good watering of tea a week before the seed potatoes go in. I also feed my spring onions in module comfrey tea by placing the module tray in a gravel tray full of comfrey once they get going.

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 11:38 »
Hi Cadalot, bit confused now, is it not too early to be feeding comfrey to seedlings, from what I have read nettle tea should be better at this time of year, cheers Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 12:05 »
Hi and welcome,
firstly I have to ask- How did you manage that lot?  I'm on my first year of comfrey growing and might have a lemonade bottle full  :nowink: very jealous  :D  I've heard it stores just fine.

Two ways to make it:

1) Put in a large barrel with water and let it steep / stew.  Stinks! You get a large volume that you dilute down to colour of weak tea before use.

2) Press the leaves. Stuff a pipe/similar and put a heavy-ish weight at the top.  Much smaller volume produced, but needs less per watering can to get the weak-tea colour. Doesn't smell :) I think better for keeping over-winter.

(Comfrey first harvest in late Spring, and the time to steep, means that it is not usually ready for the beginning of the Tomato etc. feeding time, so storing over-winter solves that, and Pressed is probably? better than Steeped for that purpose.)

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 12:08 »
I shred my comfrey leaves in with my compost for longer term release.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 16:40 »
 :D that's a relief-just realised that mine's 'pure' pressed not water added  :blush:  was thinking Op had a plot full of comfrey to be getting that amount!  ::)

Liverpool Brick

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 10:00 »
that's a relief-just realised that mine's 'pure' pressed not water added
Extra virgin comfrey tea?? That's sarf london for you :D :D

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 23:26 »
I have a comfrey pipe too.  The concentrate that drips out into a catcher underneath gets diluted with butt water to the colour of weak tea

andysmum

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 15:05 »
I was given a wormery that I struggled to cope with so I fill each layer with comfrey a it just dissolves into a liquid and dosnt smell

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 18:36 »
I have just bought a cheep fish tank air pump for my comfrey/nettle tea, its said to take the smell away and sweeten the brew, Dave

cadalot

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 18:43 »
How arte you going to power it down the allotment?

xx
Liquid fertiliser

Started by Beejay on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2009, 10:13
by Beejay
xx
Liquid Fertiliser

Started by greenockian on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 23:22
by peterjf
xx
Liquid fertiliser?

Started by Buzzy bee on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 09, 2009, 13:26
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
Liquid seeweed fertiliser

Started by Mattgregory27 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2015, 21:37
by Mattgregory27

Page created in 0.886 seconds with 36 queries.