Sick chickens.

• 8 Replies

Chrissugden

Sick chickens.
« on: September 21, 2010, 17:15 »
Hi there,

I currently have 6 Sussex light free range chickens.  We noticed this weekend that one of them could not stand properly, seemed one of her legs was not working so she'd basically fall sideways all the time not being able to really walk properly.  We dispatched said chicken thinking that she had been bitten by something, we Live in Cape Town SA so snakes about.  I have just got home from work today and noticed our family favorite 'Roxy' is starting to have the same symptoms.  We do have a lot of Guinea Fowl coming into the garden.  Starting to think it could be some form of disease.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

carolbriar

Re: Sick chickens.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 17:30 »
Firstly, welcome to the forum and sorry to hear about your sick chickens.  I can't really help but I know the following questions will assist in making any sort of suggestions as to what it could be.
How old are your hens?  If you feel under the sick hens wing is it hotter than your other hens?  Is she eating/drinking normally? 
I am sure someone with more experience will be along with some suggestions soon.
In the meantime, are you able to quarantine the sick chicken? 
Hope she gets better soon.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Roseberry

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 19:16 »
Hello,

Just a thought...  Could they be too fat and battling to walk like broilers become?  I recently culled all my Light Sussex and towards the end I called them the fat tannies and did believe that their name was a misnomer!

Chrissugden

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 06:38 »
Hi Guys,

thanks for the replies so far.  Have already quarantined 'Roxy'.  As for to fat no they are all in stunning shape, completely free range over an acre.  We only feed a small amount of grain at the end of each day, other than that they forage all day.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 06:58 »
how old are they? besides being off her legs does she have a temperature? what colour is her comb, is she still laying, are her eyes clear and bright, have they been wormed, have they had any innoculations? Have any poisons been used nearby to kill rodents etc? as they forage are there any poisoness plants that they can get to? Is she sniffly or does she have a rattly chest?
Sorry for such a lot of questions but we would really need more details.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Chrissugden

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 07:49 »
She is about 4 years old, the one we dispatched at the weekend was about 18 months.  Don't think she is still laying, being free range they lay in bushes and trees etc so never really know.  They have not been wormed or innoculated.  Eyes, temperature, breathing and crop all ok.  No poisons around and we have lived on the property for 2 years now and had no problems with any other chickens so suspect it's not any poisonous plants.

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 12:07 »
Personaly i would worm them.

Chrissugden

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 12:36 »
I have taken her to the vet this morning and she has given her a whole assortment of things.  They are going to keep her in overnight so fingers crossed.  I'll keep you all posted.

Thanks for the help

carolbriar

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2010, 11:22 »
How is your sick chicken getting on?  Hope she is ok.

xx
Sick chickens

Started by ResidentEvilRock on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 17, 2008, 03:35
by ResidentEvilRock
xx
Help... Chickens sick...

Started by not my chickens but on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 21:56
by Vember
question
Help I have sick chickens

Started by tessaj on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 15, 2011, 22:17
by rachelr
xx
Sick Chickens

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:18
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 31 queries.