Going to bed

• 12 Replies

stujem

Going to bed
« on: August 01, 2010, 21:46 »
I've had my 3 hens for two nights and last night I left them in coop so that they get used to it, this morning I opened there door and one went off into the run in minutes, I waited and then the other two followed 10-15 minutes later. (last night I left water and layers pellets in the coop) tonight I thought they might have made there own way to bed, but I had to pick them up and put them to bed at about 9pm. Today I have not given any water or food in the coop as they have been eating layers and left over veg is this ok, and also how do I learn them to go to the coop by themselves?
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 21:49 by stujem »
Stu

hillfooter

Re: Going to bed
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 22:24 »
They don't need food or drink and I wouldn't put any in there as it will just get spilt and fouled.

Persist with putting them in the house at night and they'll get the message.  These warm nights is a bit of an incentive to stay out and settle down in the run but they'll get the idea if you persist.
HF
Truth through science.

stujem

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 22:46 »
Thank you for your help.

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 18:00 »
I still have to coax mine in with meal worms (we have had them for 7 weeks now) this may however be because there is so much for them to do in the meadow they are in (eating butterflies/ chasing rabbits!)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

stujem

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 22:22 »
I waited until 10pm tonight and I still had to put them to bed, they even wanted to come back out, I hope it's not because they don't like there coop.

I know we have foxes around the area, but I have one cross springer and one springer spaniel at home who try there hardest to get in the run, I was worried about having chickens with the dogs but the chickens go right up to the cage and try to peck them so thats good. 

I don't think the fox would stand a chance. My 3 hens are in a run all day, with a built in coop. I will get some meal worms and do the same daisy1990

daisy1990

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 08:12 »
Found the cheapest supplier to be Wilkinsons

Jeanette

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 12:29 »
When mine would not go into the at night i hung a torch that was on just inside the door of the coup and as soon as they saw it they went in with no trouble.

sneezer

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 13:18 »
Hi there as you have put them to bed and they then came out- have you checked the coop at night for red mite?they are showing classic signs of trying to avoid the coop which can be a sign of the little blighters.

stujem

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 01:36 »
My hens are now going to bed now at about 8pm.sometimes at 7:45pm.  I don't think red mites stand a chance in there coob, I dust it well, and there nesting box.

jinty1911

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 21:11 »
Only had my 3 hens for 10 days now. The first night I had to shoo them into house but let them sleep in nest box. Next night they went in themselves at 7.30 but still sleeping in nest box. Same next night. Then I let them in the garden about 5pm and they went into run themselves at 7pm and into house at 7.30 and nest box again. Next night I blocked off nest and had to put 1 on perch as she was sleeping on floor.  Tonight I bribed them into run with mealworms at 6.30 as it was too cold for me to sit outside and make sure they were OK.  They shouted a wee bit but went to bed at 7.30 and they are all on perches.  Ha ha result!! ::)  But have noticed they are starting to bully me for mealworms already!! They come up and sit and chunter at me for "more worms mum, more worms".  Doesnt work though cos I've had 4 children and am immune - well nearly.

Chablis Dog

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 16:03 »
I have had the same problem with getting new chicks into the hen house at night.  I bought four marran cuckoo chicks a few weeks ago and at first had them in a large dog crate until the existing flock of four got used to them, then I started having to get them into the dog crate each night and carrying them one at a time into the hen house (!!!)  They have been remarkably resistant to going into the hen house and this has involved much chasing around of chicks in the gloom of the evening in a large hanger.  Finally, finally these utterly stupid creatures seem to have learned something (which sadly does not include staying away from the stock fencing where two ravening dogs lay in wait).  Last night, all three of them were standing on the threshold of the hen house and I was able to shoo them in.  (I know I said there were four but one of them found a small hole into the garden area and straight into the jaws of my pointer)  I am waiting with baited breath to see if this was just coincidence and I am back to the frantic chase around the hanger or if they have actually learned something and go in of their own accord as my current flock do!

evie2

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 16:39 »
Our poots cuddle up together outside the coop but I'm confident eventually they'll get the hang and take themselves in  :)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Chablis Dog

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2010, 11:17 »
Perhaps my dopey marrans are finally getting the hang of this 'going to bed' thing.  Last night I found them all huddled together in the hen house, aided no doubt by the horrendous thunder storm outside, but it is progress of sorts!  No sign of them working out what the pop hole is for yet, but you can't have everything.

Page created in 0.34 seconds with 27 queries.