Sick chicken? Can anyone help...Update

• 7 Replies

Happy-Hound

Sick chicken? Can anyone help...Update
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:31 »
Hi, I've had my chickens a week today.  When I let them out this morning one of them doesn't look well, she has a mucky bottom and definitely very runny poo, she also looks a bit hunched at the shoulders and is just standing quietly with her eyes shut.  She also looks like she has a fatter than usual chest at the top but I don't know if that's because she's hunched down a bit.  Could this be a problem with the crop? Any ideas anyone?  Thanks, Wendy

P.S. For anyone who read Dog vs Chickens my Chickens have been electrified this morning!  The dog has had his shock although to his credit he didn't even yelp, just backed off rather sharpish and hasn't been back since so it looks like he's got his freedom back although I will still supervise him for a while to make sure he stays away.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 12:22 by Happy-Hound »

Fisherman

Re: Sick chicken? Can anyone help...
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:46 »
HH
You will need to provide a bit more information for the experts who no doubt will give you some advice: -

What breed is it?
How old is it?
Is it laying?
Is it hot under the wings in comparison to the other chickens?
Does it's crop feel OK. Compare it against the others.
Are its eyes clean?
Have all the chickens been wormed and what with?
Are there any signs of lice or mites?

Sounds like it might be a trip to the vet for antibiotics!

I would keep it isolated from the other chickens straight away.

Happy-Hound

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:50 »
Thanks I will go and see what else I can find out.  I don't have anywhere else that I can confine her by herself except an old dog cage and I would have to bring that into the garage, especially for the night as otherwise it would be too cold outside I guess.  Wendy

Happy-Hound

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 12:21 »
OK, her eyes are clear but she is keeping them shut quite a bit.  She will open them if you go near her.  Her crop is not empty but I'm not really sure how it should feel, I would say it is quite soft and squishy and very large.  We have tipped her upside down and there was a lot of liquid that came out along with a few undigested pellets.  Her comb is very dark at the tips and it looks like she is breathing heavily compared to the others.  I have moved her into the dog crate by herself as she looks a bit unsteady and is just staying very still.  I think she has laid but I don't know how recently as there are 3 hens the same so unless I saw them I can't tell whose eggs are in the box.  They are all rescue hens of sorts and are brown & white mix of who knows what.

Fisherman

Re: Sick chicken? Can anyone help...Update
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 14:55 »
Sounds like sour crop or impacted crop. I have no experience of either but if you search the site you will find some good information. Someone will come along later to advise.

Good luck.

EJCTM

• keen gardener and keeper of chickens and ducks
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 13:47 »
HH - how is she now?

What was the liquid like that came out? if it was black and/or smelled really rotten then it might have been sour crop but she should be feeling better by now. You have to be really careful not to allow her to inhale any of the liquid when you clear this.

If the crop is hard and firm then that could be impacted crop, but you said it was soft, so it is probably not that.

Maybe she has an internal illness, egg laying problem, old age, etc?

I would apply the usual rules for sick chickens:
1. keep them warm and quiet somewhere separate from the flock
2. give electrolytes (dioralyte or similar)
3. ensure they are drinking
4. try and get them to eat if it is not a crop problem. Porridge made with water, and hard boiled mashed eggs are great.
5. see if they recover on their own. Alternatively take to vet if you are really worried.

Hope that helps. Do let us know how she is doing.

ETA - OMG, I have just seen your other thread with the outcome - which I didn't realise was following this thread. I am so sorry about your little hen. It sounds like you did everything you could. I think she must have been ill long before you even got her. It is so difficult to know with battery hens, and they have been subjected to such intensive and stressful conditions that it takes a huge toll on their systems. Sorry again. I hope the rest of your flock manages better - it sounds like they have got a great chance at a much better and longer life with you and your family!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 13:52 by EJCTM »

Happy-Hound

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 16:21 »
Not to worry, thanks for the help anyway.  I believe she was the oldest of the 5 but I can't remember if the lady said she was ex-batt or not, I think so.  They did have some hens who were just rescue cases.  I have a polish (possible x Ancona) with no hairdo that was found stray.  She had been attacked by a fox and survived.  There is also a cuckoo maran and a black rock, both not old enough to lay yet and then 2 brown/white x types who I think were ex-batt.  All had been with the rescue lady for a while though and all looked healthy, no bald bits etc.  The liquid that came out of her was just clearish as if she'd drunk a load of water and it was just mixed with a few bits of undigested grains of corn.  I didn't sniff it but I guess it wasn't that stinky or we would have caught a whiff.  As I said she just kind of squawked keeled over backwards, flapped a bit and was stone dead.  All the others look OK today so maybe she was already ill or maybe it was just her time to go I don't know.

Jeanette

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 11:26 »
I am so sorry but you did everything that could be done.

xx
Update on my Sick Chicks

Started by betty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2007, 22:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
Tail down-is she sick? UPDATE

Started by PaulineM on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 22:25
by Carla
xx
Update on sick chuck

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 21:49
by lukasmum
xx
Wanda - my sick chuck- update

Started by zoeadh on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 09, 2010, 21:00
by bantam novice

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 27 queries.