Tail down-is she sick? UPDATE

• 10 Replies

PaulineM

Tail down-is she sick? UPDATE
« on: April 19, 2011, 20:34 »
Hi
One of my Welsummers who has not yet laid an egg even though we bought her at the start of last August is sitting around more than usual and this afternoon we noticed that her tail was down. She is eating and drinking normally and was wormed and frontlined last month. Could she be a little bit broody as she has taken an interest in our 3 week old chick sitting watching it through the cage etc. She has preened her neck feathers strangely too, the fluffy bit of the feather has been stripped away leaving only the outer half of the feather.
(I could actually write a book about Dinah and her abnormalities)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 12:23 by PaulineM »
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

PaulineM

Re: Tail down-is she sick?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 10:24 »
Hi  :(
Dinah was ok this morning when I first went out but an hour later she was dead  :(
It's the first loss we have had.
She was just sitting as usual but her head was down (obviously) I knew straight away she had gone. Blood had come from her mouth but no other signs of anything, I checked her over and no lice or mites or anything. What do you think it could have been, I do wonder if she was an old bird, she always was slow and hesitant to do everything.

Springlands

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 10:41 »
Hi Pauline - sorry to hear about Diana it is awful when you lose a chicken. I think that you should consult your vet regarding Diana's death as there are some chicken diseases that can cause the bleeding that you describe and they are infectious. There are a number of other possibilities - did she eat something that cut her inside or rat poison. Are any those possible. 

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 10:45 »
My first thoughts were Coccidiosis, the only way to be sure is to have a postmortem done.
Was there any blood in the poops, or did you notice her poops very water/ milky?
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 10:47 »
Oh how terribly sad, and not even laid an egg.
Really sad for you
x

PaulineM

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2011, 11:57 »
Hi
No her poohs were normal and she was eating her corn and everything ok yesterday evening.
I always thought things weren't right with her she had a high stepping gait, slow reactions, quite often a bit rough looking like mini moults and always last to arrive at treat time etc, I don't think she was the healthiest of birds ever. To be honest I would have said she was maybe a bit brain damaged  :( 
But she was happy  :)

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 12:25 »
Pauline - from you original description of the bleeding I would still be concerned that there was some infection that caused Dinah's death. If that was the case it could cause problems for the rest of your girls - that is why I suggested that you take her to your vet for examination.

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 14:57 »
Hi
No her poohs were normal and she was eating her corn and everything ok yesterday evening.
I always thought things weren't right with her she had a high stepping gait, slow reactions, quite often a bit rough looking like mini moults and always last to arrive at treat time etc, I don't think she was the healthiest of birds ever. To be honest I would have said she was maybe a bit brain damaged  :( 
But she was happy  :)

Sorry for your loss.

Just wondering why you mention high stepping gait as we have one girl who pick her feet up like a prancing pony!
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

jinty1911

Re: Tail down-is she sick? UPDATE
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 19:55 »
Am so sorry to hear about your loss.  :(  :(

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 20:59 »
So sorry, Pauline  :(
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 22:25 »
So sad :( Poor Dinah, and poor you. Hope you get to the bottom of it for your own peace of mind xx
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

xx
Tail down and dejected - UPDATE

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2011, 16:11
by Lewjam
xx
Update on my Sick Chicks

Started by betty on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 27, 2007, 22:37
by Aunt Sally
xx
Update on sick chuck

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 12, 2009, 21:49
by lukasmum
xx
Sick chicken? Can anyone help...Update

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 14, 2010, 11:26
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.