garlic

• 24 Replies

gypsy

garlic
« on: September 06, 2010, 14:16 »
Anyone know why my garlic has developed with loads of cloves but no papery coat wrapping all the cloves together. Just  a bunch of small cloves on the main stem when I lifted it.
Catherine

JohnB47

Re: garlic
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2010, 15:04 »
When did you plant them?

I planted mine last Autumn to overwinter and got a very good crop. I won't bother with spring planting again - I had miserable results when I did that, although it was my first try with garlic. It's said that they need a bit of a cold spell, early on, to do well.

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 15:14 »
I planted in March. Next yrs crop already planted this week.

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 15:20 »
As this is a garlic thread, does anyone know if it's okay to save some bulbs to plant again or should i buy new bulbs from the nursery?

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 16:17 »
If you had no rust whatsoever or rot in your crops, you can save your own garlic to plant this fall as seeds. If you had problems, then there's no point propagating the problem.

Gypsy, garlic does need a lot of time to fully mature, which includes time for the skins to form. March is just too late for a very good crop as garlic, like the rest of the onion family, depend on daylight hours (solstice) to grow. Fall planted garlic has the benefit of lots of time in cool soil to form its roots better and when warmer spring weather hits, it's off and running, versus spring planted garlic which must struggle to first set its roots and then find a July curfew. If you've potted up late garlic seedlings to plant out in spring, you're better off but few people are that organized  ;)
If possible, plant out your seedlings this fall, now until mid Nov are good times and you'll get better results for next year. And remember to manure or feed your soil before planting.

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 16:29 »
Sorry to jump in, and I hope i am not going too OT - what sort of depth do I need to plant out in?  Was hope to use containers and have tried before without too much success...

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 18:58 »
I tried in containers last year and didn't get a thing. Last November planted in my new raised beds, mAnured, and they are incredible. I initially thought I planted them too seen but they did great. Was Just over the length of the set. Not going to save cloves to replant - had a spot of rust and they are still really moist inside so nervous they will rot?!

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2010, 19:13 »
I had an bulb extra to requirements last autumn so I planted the cloves in a 10" pot and they were were absolutely fine.  In fact I lifted them first to see if they were ready before tackling the ones on the allotment and they were pretty much the same size.  The pot was on a south facing patio.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 20:02 »
I planted both overwintering and spring (Mar) Solent Wight garlic this year, and without a doubt the bigger bulbs were from the Overwintering ones.  However I like to hedge my bets and as I have room to do both.

The spring planted ones are still useable, but not as swollen or covered in as much papery skin.  One thing I did notice with the spring planted cloves, was that nearly all had little or no skin around the neck and fell over before the overwintering ones.  I am using these first as they will probably dry out quicker.

gypsy

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 20:20 »
Sorry to jump in, and I hope i am not going too OT - what sort of depth do I need to plant out in?  Was hope to use containers and have tried before without too much success...
my book said 2" deep so that is what I have done.

Trillium

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 21:28 »
Garlic can have a very large root mass, so the planting depth would be approx. 2" deep and any container should be about 10" tall. 8" would do in a pinch but anything less will stunt the growth.

eeedowls

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:04 »
Thanks for the replies - and again, sorry to hijack the thread...

I did plant in about two inches down in a 10" deep pot  - the bulbs I had were very small though...

greenhead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2010, 10:34 »
There is no Garden Centre in Worcestershire that have Garlic in stock yet - expected end of the Month.

Planting depth - all my books say 4" perhaps some expert can comment. :unsure:

AndyRVTR

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2010, 11:45 »
I'm no expert... but I would suggest 2-3" deep is the general consensus

Trillium

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2010, 19:04 »
There are really no absolutes in gardening. I do mine only about 2" deep and I'm always wowed with the croppings I get. And my winters are far colder than the UK. You can do 4" if that makes you happier. Garlic is not prone to popping out of the soil like beets and onions do as they grow. It if bothers you then you can always hill up the garlic. I know people who do that with carrots, beets and onions. Not sure if there are any gains by doing so but it makes them happy.

My shops don't have garlic yet either; should have some coming before month end though. You could always phone your local centre to find out when. Most people choose the largest bulbs they can find for the largest output. Others find smaller bulbs do the job for them, so toss a coin and take your chances. Or experiment with half and half.

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 20, 2020, 11:51
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.501 seconds with 36 queries.