Winter growing

• 8 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Winter growing
« on: September 01, 2010, 22:45 »
If I have a heater for my greenhouse what veg could I grow over winter in there

I know that veg is seasonal but I would like some all year round or am I being a bit too ambitious?

JamPan

• Experienced Member
Re: Winter growing
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 00:09 »
Being more of a newbie than you, I'm not sure about that one, but I just wanted to say I'm really enjoying your diary.  You're not that far from me, either, so it's nice to see a local couple getting stuck into the growing.  Nice cakes too  :D

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:36 »
Awww thank you Jampan. If your not that far away your welcome to pop in for a cuppa and a slice of cake lol

Does anyone grow anything over winter???

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 09:43 »
I grow winter salads, but don't use any heating....way, way too expensive for me, whichever way you do it  :ohmy:

So it's winter hardy lettuce, raddichio/endive, corn salad, greek cress, rocket and spring onions for me..... which I cover with fleece if the temps dip really low.

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 15:22 »
think long white radish is one thing you can grow over winter as it doesn't rely too much on having a huge green folige. think the best way to grow them is to propergate and then plant them in a pile of soil like you do with potato's think around Nov is best time. i got some seeds but i plant them in the wrong time of the year and it grow huge green folige and the bottom root becomes too ripe to eat raw,

garlic is another for the winter that we grow.

Fisherman

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 19:29 »
Due to the amount of heat required it generally becomes uneconomical to grow things November through to February in a home greenhouse. A few things will grow but only very slowly like winter salads, shallots, some types of radish as the light level / duration is poor. I find it more practical to leave the greenhouse dormant until late February / early March when things start growing again although with some heat to protect plants and seedlings from frost.

JamPan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 12:52 »
Awww thank you Jampan. If your not that far away your welcome to pop in for a cuppa and a slice of cake lol

Carefiul, I may take you up on that.

Does anyone grow anything over winter???

I thought about it, since getting the polytunnel, but the expense and faff of heating has put me off.

I'm trying to decide what I want to put in the outdoor beds for overwintering though.  I'm thinking garlic and onions but I'll have to get on with it soon.

Anyone any recommendations for variety of onions for overwintering?  Also, I'm using a 3 bed rotation system, so do I put the overwintering onions in this year's onion bed or next year's?

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 22:16 »
You could try broad beans but in my opinion it's not worth the bother as the spring sown ones seem to catch up with them. See if you can get some cabbage plants from a garden centre and get them bunged in. Overwintered Japanese onions have been one of my successes this year. I got an early harvest with bulbs up to 1lb in weight.

rainbow1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 21:31 »
I'm using a 3 bed rotation system, so do I put the overwintering onions in this year's onion bed or next year's?

Next years because they'll still be there in the spring and summer.

xx
Winter Growing?

Started by Steve.P on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 10:26
by peapod
xx
What are you growing over this winter?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 11:22
by Griffo
xx
Winter growing and the greenhouse?

Started by spiritofold on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post October 10, 2006, 19:21
by BigA
xx
growing winter cauliflowers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2019, 17:39
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 29 queries.