Winter Growing?

• 16 Replies

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Winter Growing?
« on: October 23, 2008, 11:25 »
Not being one for growing much through the winter months, thought it was about time i started. I share a plot with someone, which is great. My piece of land is about, 15 metres long, 10 metres wide. I have now separated the width, with a grass path, leaving two pieces 15m long, 5m wide. My plan now is to use one half for the main spring/summer crops, the other for winter/spring. What i need to know is, what do you all grow from now until spring, and the best variety.

Thanks in advance. :cherry:
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

compostqueen

Winter Growing?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 11:47 »
onions, garlic, shallots, kale, leeks, winter spring onions  :D , calabrese or it could be psb, soon to have carrots if I get my finger out, and sprouts

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Winter Growing?
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 11:53 »
Leeks? Really?

Will any Leek seed do?
Can they go straight into the ground? When? Now?
Will they need protecting?
Will I run out of questions?  :)
We lived for days on nothing but food and water.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Winter Growing?
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 11:59 »
Now this is what i'm after. The more questions and answers from each other, the better

compostqueen

Winter Growing?
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:02 »
cabbages will sit there all winter but I didn't get round to doing any  :(

Leeks will take the weather, oh and parsnips (forget about those)
Think it's too late to start leeks and paaaaarsnips now though

I thought all leeks were winter hardy but not sure without checking the packets or t'tinternet

Mine are Musselburghs :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Winter Growing?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 14:03 »
It's really getting too late to put plants in & expect them to grow, after all it'll soon be November

Winter onions & garlic are your best bet, they will grow little over winter, just enough to get themselves established, but they'll be there ready for the spring sprint!

Wrong time of year definately to sow leeks & parsnips!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

p00rstudent

• Experienced Member
Winter Growing?
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 14:12 »
well i am about to sow my wheat this weekend (though i should have done it at the start of the month)

other than that, onions,shallots,garlic etc. but i have also been planting fruit bushs and trees. can't think of anything else though.

Sideways

• Experienced Member
Winter Growing?
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 14:37 »
How about cauliflowers?

I have a packet of cauliflower seeds that states you can plant them in Oct/Nov for over-winter growing. I had an empty bed so I stuck them in last weekend. If they grow, great, if not, I havent really lost anything.

What do you think, will my cauly's grow?

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Winter Growing?
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 18:38 »
Nice idea about the cauliflowers sideways, only one chap on whole of the site can manage to grow them, better ask what his secret is.

Minty

• Experienced Member
Winter Growing?
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 22:18 »
Quote from: "Sideways"
How about cauliflowers?

I have a packet of cauliflower seeds that states you can plant them in Oct/Nov for over-winter growing. I had an empty bed so I stuck them in last weekend. If they grow, great, if not, I havent really lost anything.

What do you think, will my cauly's grow?

I put some "All year round" cauli's in last week,I started them in pots a few weeks back and they weren't doing much but have nearly doubled in size in a week. 8)

We've also got some Japanese red onions in that are going well and I picked up some Isle of Wight garlic today which will be going in tomorrow. We also have some Dobies Spring Hero cabbages in and they are going really well.

home made pie

• Experienced Member
Winter Growing?
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2008, 10:03 »
a few weeks ago I sowed some purple broccoli in pots in the greenhouse, they are now about 6 inches tall, should I plant them outside now ?

Annie

Winter Growing?
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 22:58 »
I planted my psb outside in july and it is 18" high and hardy,I`m not sure about yours since they need gradual acclimatisation to the temp change,this time of the year i`d leave them in the greenhouse and keep my fingers crossed.

SG6

Winter Growing?
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 09:19 »
Can I over winter a few small leeks that I have ?
I planted leeks earlier in the year, March/April, and they sort of grew but nothing is over 6ins and are insubstantial in size. The previous year the leeks grew well.

They are at the size that look like they are ready to go outside if it were actually March and they were in sown inside for planting out. :alien:  Not the stage that 7-8 month leeks should be at.  :?  :?

If I leave them over winter does any one know if they will grow on next year, or am I wasting my time?

Chezjoie

Growing over winter
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2008, 10:01 »
You can plant peas now - Douce Provence are winter hardy.  Ready for spring harvesting.   We got ours from Edwin Tuckers - much, much cheaper than most we found!  Also some varieties of broad beans for the spring too.
Joy McC

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Winter Growing?
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2008, 10:04 »
Quote from: "SG6"
Can I over winter a few small leeks that I have ?
I planted leeks earlier in the year, March/April, and they sort of grew but nothing is over 6ins and are insubstantial in size. The previous year the leeks grew well.

They are at the size that look like they are ready to go outside if it were actually March and they were in sown inside for planting out. :alien:  Not the stage that 7-8 month leeks should be at.  :?  :?

If I leave them over winter does any one know if they will grow on next year, or am I wasting my time?

Id put them in now, leeks are hardy so as long as they are hardened off itd be worth a go. Better than leaving them in the pots over winter

Paula
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
What are you growing over this winter?

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post August 17, 2008, 11:22
by Griffo
xx
Winter growing

Started by Ma Lowe on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 21:31
by rainbow1
xx
Winter growing & Greenhouses

Started by fatgit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2007, 09:24
by Aidy
xx
growing winter cauliflowers

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 21, 2019, 17:39
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 36 queries.