Winter growing and the greenhouse?

• 12 Replies

spiritofold

« on: October 02, 2006, 13:47 »
Is it possible to grow veg overwinter in a greenhouse?

Andy  :)

milkman

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 15:50 »
I don't know but I'm going to try it this year!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2006, 17:10 »
Depends on whether its going to be heated.  I'm going to see what I can grow, but can't afford to heat my polytunnel or greenhouse, so it will be a trial and error thing.  I've got leaks in the poly, and a few tomato plants just starting, 2 potatoes in a big pot and in the next week, I'm going to try a few broad beans and peas.

I think green salad stuff can grow, but not sure if it HAS to be hardy lettuce, or will my cut and come again grow?

Good luck to all of us and we'll have to compare notes again after Christmas to see what happened!!

spiritofold

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2006, 17:29 »
I was wondering if the length of daylight would make any difference
to veg growing in the winter?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 20:26 »
Interesting this one, I was just chatting to old Bob (we dont have a old Harry) and he has just put his new spuds in a big bucket, he reckons he has always had a crop every Christmas, from his unheated greenhouse.
Reckon I might give it ago me self, I was thinking about some salad type crops but then thought why would I be eating salad in winter!!! Spuds it is then, will let you know how I get on.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 16:48 »
I put 5 spuds in 5 pots last year Aidy in September, but they weren't really ready until New Years Day, so I wonder how old Bob gets his ready for Christmas if he's only just put them in?  I thought I was too late now to put anymore in.  I've got 2 spuds in HUGE pot, but when I looked last week they hadn't done anything at all.  And thye've been in there a month!!!!

I might try another couple, see what happens!  But it is nice to eat new potatoes with your Christmas dinner (or in my case, New Year's dinner!!!)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 17:50 »
I was hoping to put up an article on the NVS site about exactly this but the file has been damaged somehow. I'll let you know when it is up.

The undamaged bit mentions sowing little gem lettuce in October in the greenhouse. I've also got some very hardy lettuce called Artic I think that I am going to try in the greenhouse.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

James

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 14:36 »
Sarah Raven has been experimenting with winter lettuces, and grows loads of them outdoors.

Toms should carry on ripening in the g/h for weeks yet.  Potatoes will grow - though I've not tried it myself.  Anything, really.  The shorter days will make growing slower.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 17:54 »
I got the undamaged version - so it's now online Winter Crops from the Greenhouse
Hope it's of interest.

spiritofold

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 18:05 »
Cheers for that!

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 11:05 »
Dear Grannieannie, I have no idea other than perhaps its our wonderfull climate here in Blackpool  :lol: I have just put some in so I will see if old Bob is telling the truth, of course this year will be the exception!! due to climate change etc which will be why there is no crop. Time will tell.

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 21:53 »
Well, decided to see how they go again this year, and have now put 6 potatoes into 6 large pots.  I also planted a few potato seeds which I saved to see what happens as someone talked about ages ago!  Can't remember who it was.

I also re-discovered about 8 small cauliflowers which I had sown on the old compost heap where my courgettes are.  Forgot about them as the courgettes grew so big.  At one time the caulis got eaten, but they are sprouting again, so I planted them elsewhere yesterday.  And my savoy cabbages are doing well after the CWB catterpillars annihilated them.

So I won't starve over the winter with all the tomatoes in the freezer!

BigA

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 19:21 »
I've got peas, all year round cauliflower, broad beans and japanese onion all growing nicely in the greenhouse.  I sowed them into pots about three weeks ago and the broad beans are already 6 inches tall.  Hopefully they'll continue to grow well over the Winter.  

I was thinking of moving them outside as I'd heard they'll survive the Winter, if you protect them from severe frosts.

I'd be interested if anyone has any experience of doing this successfully - if not maybe I'll keep them in the greenhouse. :)

xx
Winter veg in greenhouse

Started by supervegman on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 18:09
by Yorkie
xx
winter in greenhouse

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 25, 2010, 13:50
by RichardA
xx
Is there any use for my greenhouse over the winter?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 30, 2007, 21:41
by 666
xx
Empty greenhouse in winter...

Started by sonic on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 13:12
by Cheshire Phill

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 36 queries.