Has blight struck yet?

• 18 Replies

ruffmesiter_69

Has blight struck yet?
« on: July 10, 2007, 20:53 »
Hi guys was wondering what the blight situation was like near you. Our potatoes were showing the first signs of it so we whipped them out now our tomatoes appear to have it now.

Our location is notorious for blight but this is the first year we have had any issues?

Whats your plot like? better? worse? don't grow tomatoes because of the problem? have a solution to blight?

Other news from the plot this week. 15 kilo of poataoes are liftted, shallots and onions are near ripe. First runners are seen, more fruit and the atlantic giant fruit has formed.

Regards
Lottieblogs

purplebat

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 21:13 »
my potatoes have got blight and my tomatoes ...don't know what's wrong with them, I thought that might be blight too but they don't look like yours  :?
If Life gives you lemons, - Make Lemonade

Gwiz

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2007, 22:01 »
its been a damn awful year for us here.
still, never mind. got some lurrrvly pickled shallots to look forward to. :D

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2007, 22:11 »
just the outdoor toms so far but managed i think to control it. all may spuds are now up, only grew earlies this year, what foresight that was  :wink:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

yummy

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2007, 22:24 »
There is blight on our site but it hasn't reached our plot yet. (well it hadn't yesterday when I last saw it) I think the man next door but one has it so perhaps we are destined for the same.

I'm going to keep my tomato plants here at home because they seem fine at the moment.

mkhenry

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2007, 01:07 »
Almost all of the so called blight on tomatoes is in fact due to the cold snap we had in May. The growing toms hated the cold and what we are seeing now is the result. I have seen this many times before over the years.....................The toms will develope but late and there will be less on each plant.Altogether a bad year for amount and flavour. .............There is some blight out there but most of what you see is just the cold start.............Tomatoes can be so unforgiving :(
Some poor village is missing its Idiot
plus officially the longest ever occupier of the naughty step.
My Gardening and Growing Hints and Tips

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Blight
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2007, 07:02 »
Yes, all 64 allotments on our site have potatoe blight.  Was advised to chop off the tops so that it wouldnt reach the tubers.  Going to dign some up to see if there is any damage!

milkman

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2007, 09:13 »
Yup a lot of plots on our site have been ravaged with blight in the last few weeks.  My blight resistant valor are just showing signs that they might be getting it, so tonight's task may be to do what the book says - cut the affected parts off and give the bed a thick mulch with some dry straw.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

WG.

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2007, 10:03 »
Quote from: "mkhenry"
the cold snap we had in May(
Yes and what about June and July - they've been pretty darned cold and wet too!!!  :evil:  :evil:

ruffmesiter_69

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 15:27 »
definitley struck the toms been down and more black, oh well have some safe in the greenhouse

jackiestagg

• Experienced Member
Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 18:28 »
Got 3 lots of spuds, one has gone down with blight ('Smile') and the others (pink fir apple and jersey royals) are fine and bright green. Bit annoying as I'm still digging second earlies so now have Maris Peers and Smiles all over the kitchen. No trouble with tomatoes as yet.

Annie

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2007, 10:16 »
As soon as it stops raining I`m out to cut back more potato foliage.We were OK with our earlies but the second earlies are succumbing.The pink fir are looking ok and but there are some slight signs 0n the early maincrops,Rooster and picasso.I got some free Bonny potatoes which we shoehorned into the fruit- patch- to- be this is a little away from the other potatoes and they are thriving.I grew 10 tubers of 6 different varieties and 20 of Picasso and the bonney,given the conditions this may be why not all the potatoes have gone at the same time-we`ll only really know once they`re been dug out.

sweet nasturtium

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2007, 23:58 »
How can you tell the difference between blight on tomatoes and damage due to cold weather??

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2007, 11:13 »
I've definitely got tomato blight. Got all excited my plants are fruiting, but they're also blighted. I won't stress myself - If I get something I'll be grateful. If I don't, I'll try again next year.
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

woodentop

Has blight struck yet?
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2007, 17:18 »
Everyone on our lotty has lost their tomatoes with the blight.Only the polytunnel boys are still smiling.

xx
Mr Mole has struck again

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post June 06, 2008, 21:50
by Oliveview
xx
I've struck Tarmac

Started by Codework on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 11:17
by Wildeone
xx
Have i struck upon a cunning plan?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 23:46
by digalotty
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 36 queries.