Mr Mole has struck again

• 12 Replies

Oliveview

Mr Mole has struck again
« on: May 22, 2008, 17:33 »
:x  :cry:  :evil:  This time it was my ´best´ aubergine plant :(   I´ve just 1 decent plant left.  I´m well into my 2nd packet of mothballs- I will beat the bu**er I know I will.
A bit late for here I know, but I will try sowing another couple of seeds to see if I can get a decent crop for the late summer.
Pamela

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 18:28 »
my thoughts are with you!  I have a very active Mr Mole - is ruining my onions and now moving onto my peas.  Have set a mole trap, but he's a tricky little blighter.  When I water my newly planted seeds he moves to them apparently because the w :cry: ater causes the worms to wriggle about

Oliveview

Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 21:12 »
We hardly ever see a worm here, I have seen just 2 in the almost 2 years we have been gardening here, and one of them the builder man dug up and then cut him in two with his shovel :shock:  The one I found I was tempted to give to the hens but thought my garden was more in need than the hens.  The neighbours don´t have a mole, just us :evil:  Life is so unfair at times :cry:
Pamela

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2008, 06:01 »
I hardly ever see worms either, the plot I have was a very neglected one, but the worms will be there, but deep down,  as this is one of the main staples of a moles diet.  How am I so knowedgeable?  My son is a pest controller, lives in Norfolk - where there is a tremendous problem with moles.  So there you go - a day without learning....   None of this of course helps with the devastation to our plots.  Having checked last night - mine is expanding his underground house and getting as far as the runner beans.  aaargh!

woodburner

Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 09:43 »
Moles are deterred by vibrations, and you can get solar powered things to stick in the ground (like a big tall black muchroom) but they are a bit pricey to plant on a lottie. Birdscarer type windmills stuck in the holes will also snd out confusing vibrations and are a lot prettier and cheaper, but they only work when there's sufficient wind.

I knew a chap who swore by horse apples covered in honey!  :shock:
I demand the right to buy seed of varieties that are not "distinct, uniform and stable".

Bombers

Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 12:38 »
Quote from: "woodburner"
Moles are deterred by vibrations, and you can get solar powered things to stick in the ground (like a big tall black muchroom) but they are a bit pricey to plant on a lottie. Birdscarer type windmills stuck in the holes will also snd out confusing vibrations and are a lot prettier and cheaper, but they only work when there's sufficient wind.

I knew a chap who swore by horse apples covered in honey!  :shock:

We've got moles on our site, and I noticed a number of these home made windmill type thingy's around. So I asked someone, and was told that they send vibrations down to deter moles. Basically, the're washing up bottles, with cut out's down the sides (to form the Propeller blades) and a 'wire' clothes hanger (cut in half) threaded through the middle , and poked into the end of a cane, into the ground... I know, sounds complicated. I'll try and take some picky's if anyone's interested in having a go?
Life begins... On the kitchen windowsill.

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 12:49 »
yes please :D

Oliveview

Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 17:16 »
Last spring Mr Mole was tunnelling under the patio- just as well the concrete was re-enforced otherwise the patio would have collapsed the tunnel was so big! :shock:
Photo of the bottle contraption please :D
Pamela

Bombers

Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2008, 18:07 »
Will do.. I'll try a 'Blue Peter' type of approach...If all else fails, you could always wrap tinsel around it, and call it a Christmas Deco :lol:

chicken soup

• Experienced Member
Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 20:23 »
We have a Mr Mole on our plot he arrived last week but I wasn't unduly worried as he was just on the border of our allotment.  Last night he had made six nice mounds of earth, luckily he didn't disturb anything and today theres another two.  I was discussing him with my neighbouring allotmenteer and she suggested putting glass milk bottle in the mounds apparently the wind blows over them and Mr Mole doesn't like the sound.
40 hens, 8 cockerels, 3 dogs, 2 rabbits, 8 chinchillas, 2 teenage daughters and O/H

Bombers

Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 20:32 »

green fingers

• Experienced Member
Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2008, 18:19 »
My Mr Mole is dead!!!!  Went to the plot to-day - had "planted" bottles etc and I saw a dead mole on the next door plot, so dont know what happened, but I hope it was the little blighter messing up my onions and I am not SORRY he's gone!!! :)

Oliveview

Mr Mole has struck again
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2008, 21:50 »
Thank goodness that is one Mr Mole taken out of circulation (or could it be a Mrs Mole?) I noticed another mole hill tonight, no mothballs though, will get more tomorrow
Pamela

xx
I've struck Tarmac

Started by Codework on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post March 25, 2008, 11:17
by Wildeone
xx
Has blight struck yet?

Started by ruffmesiter_69 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 15, 2007, 13:54
by belto
xx
Have i struck upon a cunning plan?

Started by bedifferent on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 13, 2009, 23:46
by digalotty
xx
mole

Started by string bean on Grow Your Own

21 Replies
Last post December 30, 2008, 07:49
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.433 seconds with 37 queries.