Disposing of potato haulms

• 13 Replies

barbarella

• Experienced Member
Disposing of potato haulms
« on: August 21, 2010, 14:52 »
I know you shouldn't put potato haulms on the compost if they show any signs of blight but my neighbour says she never haulms on her compost heap (blighted or otherwise) and doesn't even put them out in the green waste sacks.  The ties them up in a plastic bag and puts them out in the general waste.  The council  uses a system of composting which is supposed to get very hot and gets rid of disease spores, eg blight and club root, and weed seeds  but I'd be interested to hear other views on this. 

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Disposing of potato haulms
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 15:00 »
I always compost mine if there is no blight on them.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 15:09 »
Potatoes are subject to so many pests and diseases I'm quite paranoid about them so they go for council composting (hoping I don't see them again but of course I'm quite likely to be buying them back again (hopefully heat-sterilised!) next year as a component of MP compost!)

(I know I have potato eelworm on my plot so the paranoia is quite justified!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 15:47 »
I'm with you Aunt Sally on this one.  As long as the potatoes and haulms look healthy, I put the haulms on the compost heap,but only the tops - I cut off the root system as it often has tiny baby potatoes I can't be bothered to pick off so I throw that part in the green bag. 

I know we would all like to know how efficient the heat sterilising is though  :)

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 16:18 »
Blight is an airbourne disease and only affects living green leaves/plants, you dont think the Linconshire spud farmers with thousands of acres collect all the haulms up and dispose of them do you? no they plough them all back into the ground to put the goodness back.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 16:36 »
Thanks Paul - that's good enough for me.  But I'd still like to know if heat sterilising really gets rid of/kills other things, like club root, wire worm, bindweed roots etc

PAULW

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 16:54 »
BARBARELLA
I would not compost club root that is a totally differant kettle of fish, clubroot can stay in the ground for years and should be removed from your plot/garden and put in the dustbin or burned, bindweed either hang it from a fence and let it dry out or drown it in a tub of water

Salmo

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 21:55 »
As I see it the immediate danger is allowing the spores to escape and drift on the wind to infect neighbouring crops. It could be that the safest way to dispose of blight infected haulms is to dig a hole and bury them on the potato patch.

Blight spores can only develop on living material and it is unlikely to survive from one season to the next on haulms. Blight is carried over Winter on potato tubers, either in the ground or that have been stored. Often new infections are from affected tubers that have been thrown out or survive in compost.

I do not put haulms with signs of blight directly on to the compost heap as the spores may drift in the air and infect my neighbours crops. I stuff them into a plastic bag then tie the top and leave them for several weeks to die before putting them on the compost heap.

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 22:14 »
As I see it the immediate danger is allowing the spores to escape and drift on the wind to infect neighbouring crops. It could be that the safest way to dispose of blight infected haulms is to dig a hole and bury them on the potato patch.

Blight spores can only develop on living material and it is unlikely to survive from one season to the next on haulms. Blight is carried over Winter on potato tubers, either in the ground or that have been stored. Often new infections are from affected tubers that have been thrown out or survive in compost.

I do not put haulms with signs of blight directly on to the compost heap as the spores may drift in the air and infect my neighbours crops. I stuff them into a plastic bag then tie the top and leave them for several weeks to die before putting them on the compost heap.

Good thinking Salmo.  I do the same with perennial weeds, especially bindweed.

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 02:58 »
For me, all potato haulms go into the compost unless there is any obvious sign of disease.

Anything that is, or appears to be, diseased, goes into the council waste bin.
They (the council) assure me that their composting procedure will eradicate all forms of disease during their composting processes.
I don't have to, or need to, believe them, as I will never be in a situation where I will be using the end product of their composting   ;)
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 23:45 »
For me, all potato haulms go into the compost unless there is any obvious sign of disease.

I don't have to, or need to, believe them, as I will never be in a situation where I will be using the end product of their composting   ;)

You hope! I've learned never to say anything definite about the future. :unsure:

BTW what about peelings and potatoes that look suspicious when peeled, can these go on the compost heap?

Christine

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 07:34 »
I never compost potatoes or potato peelings as the darned things grow again - even on the compost heap which gets nice and hot with the help of pigeon droppings.

Guzzik

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 17:45 »
.  The council  uses a system of composting which is supposed to get very hot and gets rid of disease spores, eg blight and club root, and weed seeds  but I'd be interested to hear other views on this. 

Only IF the heat they use is high enough.  Myself and a few others bought bags of this compost from Wareham council tip last year and wished we hadn't.  Withing days weeds were up everwhere!
If you are a bit worried about the blight, just keep the haulms in a placky bag till autumn/burning time and burn them in a HOT fire.  Or, leave in bag and bury them in plot somewhere a few months later.
No, that carrot is a worm mum.................

barbarella

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 19:03 »

That's what I suspected

xx
Potato haulms

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 15, 2022, 18:56
by Nobbie
xx
Potato haulms-leave on or take off?

Started by hogwarden on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 09:04
by DD.
xx
Can Potato Haulms be composted safely?

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 10:22
by gobs
xx
Hotbin composting potato haulms?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 03, 2020, 13:47
by CHRISDONOHUE

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 29 queries.