lime and mares tail

• 6 Replies

Gareth J

lime and mares tail
« on: August 20, 2010, 22:35 »
Hi,
After spending the last two years digging out any signs of mares tail i can find, I now have plot which although still covered with the stuff  >:( is fairly easy to pull out when it shows.
I read somewhere that mares tail prefers acid soil, so ................... if i overlime my plot this year does any one think it will make a difference? I am prepared to give the ground a rest next year as this years crop has not been fantastic. I plan to then follow on the next autumn with a heavy load of horse manure then fertilise the following spring.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

Babstreefern

Re: lime and mares tail
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 23:28 »
Seems logical, but horse manure is acid, so isn't this defeating the object of an experiment? :wacko:

Personally, I don't manure my plot, I give it a good digging over starting now, going through to November as the plots are cleared when harvesting, then completely lime it all as my ground is fairly acid, and cover it with chicken pellets and bfb and let it all soak in through the winter months.

The thing with weeds though, is that they always come back.  They lay dormant, and whoosh, they're up and growing.

Also, if you do happen to get rid of your mares tail (which I doubt), what other weed will take over.  Its survival of the fittest in the garden jungle :blink:
Babs

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 08:56 »
To be honest I dont think it will make any difference, mares tail is pre-historic so it knows how to survive, also the roots can go very deep, it aslo seems to be able to lie dormant until it springs up again.
The best way is Aunties way qoute ' Never let it see Sunday' I am afraid its more of a control issue if you have loads but keep chopping it and it will weaken it.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

WirralWally

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 03:15 »
Gareth J,
The secret of getting rid of marestail (horsetail) is to keep pulling it whenever it pops up another shoot.
As you will know well, that is a difficult process.
However, it will work given time.
I have eradicated it from a large area by constant removal and also with soil improvement, but the whole process has taken 5 years.
Be vigilant . . . . . . . . . . . . . . and patient, and you may win the battle; given time.  :D
The successes and failures of each year keep me motivated for the following year.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 16:30 »
I recently heard that if youi bruise it, then paint/spray it with Roundup diluted in a light oil, it does the trick. Will be trying it very soon and will let you know next year!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 18:04 »
i think it is almost impossible to eradicate it completely but regular bursts of weeding does, in my experience, paid dividends and restricts its determination.

I simply "hoover" along the whole plot vigorously with a hoe every couple of weeks. Only takes about 30mins maximum to do this and then sometimes I do a bit of cleaning up of the weeds afterwards - other times I leave them on the top of the soil.

In the year or so I have had this current plot and have done this weeding process, the existence of marestail, bindweed and the like is MUCH lower than it was ie) much less of the stuff grows back.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 21:06 »
As I learnt here "Never let it see a Sunday"

xx
mares tail'horse tail

Started by flutemaster on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 20:54
by gobs
xx
Mares Tail

Started by fred-quimby on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 23, 2012, 15:54
by BabbyAnn
xx
Mares Tail

Started by sea dog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 10:45
by richyrich7
xx
mares tail

Started by longey on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post December 27, 2011, 17:09
by longey

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 36 queries.