Chilli's and Peppers!

• 9 Replies

Missie

Chilli's and Peppers!
« on: August 16, 2010, 14:23 »
Hi,
I just wanted you to see my crop of peppers,The majority are Hungarian,Greens,yellows,some red and to ripen,Habanero white's-OMG these are Horrendously hot-though are not ripe yet!Others include bird eye chilli's also to ripen yet-and some I have no idea but am waiting!! :ohmy:
hungpepp1.JPG
hungpepp2.JPG

Missie

Re: Chilli's and Peppers!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 14:24 »
Lots and lots here!
hungpepp.JPG

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 14:35 »
I've got a good crop of Cayenne and Superchilli this year, though all still green. I keep growing chillis that are supposed to be hot yet finding them a bit bland when cooked. But then I always remove the seeds, because they always tell you to in recipes. How much difference does it make if you don't remove the seeds? Would it make it hot to the point of being inedible?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 14:37 »
Lovely crop, Missie! :) Our Cayenne chillis are cropping wildly this year, I've never seen them so good, but the chocolate hab is still taking things slowly...
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Fred Quimby

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 14:48 »
Lovely crop.  Waiting for mine to burst forth :D
"We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars"

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 21:02 »
Lovely crop, Missie! :) Our Cayenne chillis are cropping wildly this year, I've never seen them so good, but the chocolate hab is still taking things slowly...

Mine too.  They have grown to a huge size and have never cropped so heavily.  Must be the period of hot dry weather this summer. 

I am also of the opinion that the best way to grow em is in a polytunnel/greenhouse, with the doors open so the flying insects can pollinate them.  My plants in the kitchen have very few fruits on in comparison.

paintedlady

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2010, 05:34 »
the best way to grow em is in a polytunnel/greenhouse, with the doors open so the flying insects can pollinate them.  My plants in the kitchen have very few fruits on in comparison.

I gently tap the stems once or twice a day when the flowers are in full bloom to disturb pollen and this seems to work just as well. 
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

Missie

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 07:47 »
Lots and lots here!
I've got a good crop of Cayenne and Superchilli this year, though all still green. I keep growing chillis that are supposed to be hot yet finding them a bit bland when cooked. But then I always remove the seeds, because they always tell you to in recipes. How much difference does it make if you don't remove the seeds? Would it make it hot to the point of being inedible?

I suppose it depends on what your heat tolerance is! An old neighbour of mine many years ago came from Kashmir,he taught me to "cook the chicken" it is a dish called spinach chicken,with almagheer-I think that is the brand of massala powder,plus quite a few green chilli's,he never took the seeds out!I still cook it this way today,it would murder any Phall you would get from your local Indian takeaway-though the takeaway food is nothing like the original!

Missie

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 07:49 »
My white Habs are taking much longer than all the Hungarian peppers and chilli's! funny that!

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 13:35 »
I suppose it depends on what your heat tolerance is! An old neighbour of mine many years ago came from Kashmir,he taught me to "cook the chicken" it is a dish called spinach chicken,with almagheer-I think that is the brand of massala powder,plus quite a few green chilli's,he never took the seeds out!I still cook it this way today,it would murder any Phall you would get from your local Indian takeaway-though the takeaway food is nothing like the original!

I think I'm going to have to try this. Maybe just a small Superchilli, perhaps a green one, with the seeds in. Actually, the pots of Lazy Chilli you buy do have the seeds in. You certainly don't need to put a lot of that in.

xx
Chilli peppers

Started by Lawrence on Grow Your Own

44 Replies
Last post February 28, 2012, 10:30
by Griffete
xx
chilli Peppers Hot!!!!

Started by flopsy on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 20, 2012, 17:24
by mattwragg94
xx
Chilli Peppers

Started by WirralWally on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 14:25
by WirralWally
xx
Chilli peppers

Started by Nikkithefoot on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 18:45
by bigsprouts

Page created in 0.583 seconds with 30 queries.