rust on garlic and leeks

• 12 Replies

doubledug

• Experienced Member
rust on garlic and leeks
« on: August 07, 2010, 17:09 »
I noticed my leeks were suffering with what is apparently called rust so i started to remove the affected leaves then noticed that the adjacent garlic was covered with it ,i lifted the garlic which has very little in the way of bulb. so i have lost my garlic and it looks like i am loseing my leeks, so whats the good news, how long before i can grow onions /leeks on this ground again? :(

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: rust on garlic and leeks
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 17:14 »
I get rust on my garlic & leeks just about every year.

Doesn't affect the bulbs of the garlic, nor the blanched bit of the leeks, so I don't worry about it.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 17:18 »
thats a relief I have been hearing some horor stories, like burn all the foliage and dont grow there again for five years. Still disapointed with my garlic though Iam going off dobies there stuff seems no better than wilkos to me 

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 17:32 »
This is the RHS fact sheet on leek rust.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/Profile.aspx?pid=214

Far from destroying your crop, it says just to dispose of plant debris after cropping.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 18:20 »
thanks for that DD

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 18:47 »
That's OK, dd.

Comfortably Numb

• Experienced Member
    • Dung Beetle's Allotment Plots
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 19:27 »
I get rust on my garlic & leeks just about every year.

Doesn't affect the bulbs of the garlic, nor the blanched bit of the leeks, so I don't worry about it.

Likewise, my garlic and leeks always look a right mess with rust and leek moth damage, but it never seems to affect the bit that matters  :)
Cheers, Comfortably Numb.

I'm just off down the greenhouse. I won't be long ..........................

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 19:41 »
some leek varieties are listed as rustproof resistant  :).....it may be worth sowing them if your leeks get rust every year.

Salmo

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 22:28 »
Agree with looking out for rust resistant variety.

You can spray leeks with dithane. It will not kill the rust already there but it will stop it spreading.

Leek rust and garlic rust are different rusts so one will not spread to the other. Somrtimes it may seem like it but that is due to weather conditions suiting all rusts.

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 06:07 »
Please bear in mind that "resistant" is a relative term and rust resistant varieties of leeks can still be infected although generally less so. Try a variety called Neptune that most major seed suppliers sell. If you can it helps to rotate your crops which lessens the spread of rust and any other disease and dispose of or burn the remaining debris.

There are no types of garlic that are rust resistant yet. Funnily though I grew two different sorts of garlic, Germidour sown last autumn and Sultop sown this spring. Germidour was covered in rust but Sultop was unaffected. I can only put this down to the length of time each were in the ground i.e. Sultop wasn't in the ground long enough to be badly affected.

Rust infected plants unfortunately provide a lower yield but are still OK to use.

doubledug

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 08:09 »
Please bear in mind that "resistant" is a relative term and rust resistant varieties of leeks can still be infected although generally less so. Try a variety called Neptune that most major seed suppliers sell. If you can it helps to rotate your crops which lessens the spread of rust and any other disease and dispose of or burn the remaining debris.

There are no types of garlic that are rust resistant yet. Funnily though I grew two different sorts of garlic, Germidour sown last autumn and Sultop sown this spring. Germidour was covered in rust but Sultop was unaffected. I can only put this down to the length of time each were in the ground i.e. Sultop wasn't in the ground long enough to be badly affected.

Rust infected plants unfortunately provide a lower yield but are still OK to use.

I dont think ou can put it down to the length of time in the ground as i had three types of garlic one autumn sown and unafected and two sown in spring one of which, elephant garlic is still in the ground and untouched. I shall look out for neptune though

Salmo

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 08:22 »
The modern trend for overwintered garlic forms a green bridge between the crops of one season and the next so that the rust always has a crop to live on with no break. Same applies to onion diseases. This also tells us why we should lift all leeks as soon as we have finished with them and not leave a few to produce decorative seed heads.

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:07 »

I dont think ou can put it down to the length of time in the ground as i had three types of garlic one autumn sown and unafected and two sown in spring one of which, elephant garlic is still in the ground and untouched. I shall look out for neptune though

Elephant "Garlic" is not true garlic, that's why is so mild, (and I'll never grow it again!). It is a close relative of the leek so I suspect it would be more susceptible to leek rust.

xx
Leeks with rust

Started by Jackypam on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2014, 21:35
by Jackypam
xx
what do you do about rust on leeks?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 07, 2007, 00:58
by Beanzie
xx
rust on leeks

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 19:43
by gypsy
xx
Rust on Leeks

Started by Sid on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 09:43
by Sid

Page created in 0.622 seconds with 38 queries.