Purple/ blue fleshed potatoes...

• 8 Replies

dead eye dave

Purple/ blue fleshed potatoes...
« on: August 06, 2010, 23:07 »
Some of my Rooster and my Edzell Blue potatoes have flesh that is purple/ blue all through the potato, probably about 5% of the total yield......does anyone know why this happens?

I havent had a chance to taste any as they all heppened to occur in the ones I had given to friends etc, so have had no chance to taste...am assuming they are safe to eat....well, no-one has died yet anyway...

Much obloged for any purple fleshed advice out there....!?!?!?!!!

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
Re: Purple/ blue fleshed potatoes...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2010, 01:32 »
Hi
Edzell Blue does have a dark blue flesh, don't know about Rooster though, should have yellow flesh

dead eye dave

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 10:54 »
Thanks for your reply, but in my experience, Edzell Blue have a white flesh and most of the ones I grew were indeed gloriously white, a very pretty potato flesh against the blue skin, thats why I was so confused as it has happened in the blues and in the roosters......although the roosters flesh had a tinge of pink through it as well as the blue........maybe its something to do with the ground.......tasted great though, and no ill effects or anything.......cant seem to get an anser form the internet either....
has anyone else had this experience???

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 01:38 »
sorry, mixed up my own notes, are you sure they are edzell blue and Rooster? I grow some that are purple and white throught the flesh, I they were given to me as 'Portland Black' but not in any catalogue, the skin is purple. I know someone who grows different varieties with blue or 'red' flesh

dead eye dave

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:12 »
Having looked back at my notes, there is a chance that they may not be rooster at all, but definately the edzell blues (planted the two types next to each other, sorry about that)
Most of the blues were perfect, blueish skin, white flesh, but as I said, about 5% of the them were blue throughout....interestingly enough, I gave two edzell blue seed potatoes to granny to grow in a sack in her garden and they produced a great yield which were all blue fleshed....(she wouldnt eat them, convinced she would keel over  if she did...so I eat them and they were great)
Thye were definatelt not portland blacks, as I have had had my eye on them for growing next year alongside the shetland blacks too....definately edzell blues, bought from dobies on a whim....

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:31 »
I dug up a red potato that was red tinted quite a way through.....I didn't plant any reds, so it must have grown from peelings in the compost  :lol:

diggerjoe

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 09:04 »
Empitied a tub at home last night thinking it had some earliers in it ( must labels tubs) and found it had the spare Blue Danube main crop th tops had died down so I assumed they were earlies - they are supposed to be white inside but the few that were there were all very dark purple all the way through - I hope this is just because they might have been under stress in the tub as I have two rows of the blooming things at the plot. Tasted one it was ok but turn a grey purple colour on cooking which is not very appealing.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 20:20 »
Do not boil potatoes with coloured flesh as the colour and flavour leaches out. Microwave in a covered container instead.

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2010, 00:31 »
Do not boil potatoes with coloured flesh as the colour and flavour leaches out. Microwave in a covered container instead

That's a good tip, I boil with the skins on whch helps a bit, but will try microwaving next time

xx
purple potatoes

Started by evie2 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post October 08, 2010, 22:52
by DD.
xx
Blue potatoes

Started by Leligdowicz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 17, 2008, 15:45
by ajkula77
xx
Edgecote Purple potatoes

Started by AnneB on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 21, 2011, 21:57
by AnneB
xx
Blue potatoes - any tips?

Started by drcath on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post July 05, 2010, 22:57
by Loubs

Page created in 0.856 seconds with 38 queries.