Anyone ever grown Summer Ball?

• 12 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Anyone ever grown Summer Ball?
« on: July 06, 2010, 21:57 »
I did some this year to try. They're supposed to be a hybrid between courgettes and pumpkins. The plants look like courgettes but the fruit are bright yellow balls. They're very pretty to look at and I'm now dying to know what they taste like. According to the packet, you can eat them small like courgettes or let them grow big like pumpkins. What I'd like to know is how small should I cut them if I want to eat them like courgettes? I've got 2 or 3 that are already tennis ball size. Is that the right size or should I let them grow a little more?

fatcat1955

Re: Anyone ever grown Summer Ball?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 22:27 »
1st year of growing them, mine are golf ball size at the moment. I will pick them when they are tennis ball size and use as courgettes but then let 3 grow on as pumpkins. By the way if you pick them small they are supposed to be delicious grated in a salad.

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 22:56 »
I'm growing them right now - 2 plants.

They are yummy.  We've been cutting them as 2 - 3 inch diameter fruits.  My 7 year old just loves courgettes and she's been claiming the rights to these ones...

I will let a couple of them mature to summer squashes to see what we end up with.

I've been cooking the small fruits whole, not for too long.  Also work well quartered and steamed.  Luvverly with some butter  :D
Lotty holder since Aug 09... I've FINALLY finished clearing it! On with the p.lanting  ....

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 00:10 »
Have you tried frying them in butter? My favourite ways for eating courgettes are either sliced and fried in butter or stuffing them when they're a bit bigger. Not quite sure how on earth you'd stuff these when they're cylindrical. I mean, even cut in half, how the heck could you make one stay still long enough on the baking tray? They'd roll all over the place :)

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:02 »
Have you tried frying them in butter? My favourite ways for eating courgettes are either sliced and fried in butter or stuffing them when they're a bit bigger. Not quite sure how on earth you'd stuff these when they're cylindrical. I mean, even cut in half, how the heck could you make one stay still long enough on the baking tray? They'd roll all over the place :)

I think frying Summer Ball would be difficult unless you sliced them  :)
Ihave been steaming or lightly boiling and then serving them with butter. Works really well.

My fave way for normal courgettes is frying in olive oil.  Had some with sauteed potatoes last night, yummy.
 :tongue2:

Matthew Gayles

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:47 »
im eating some right now for lunch! frying not too difficult if sliced, we made a carbonara with them fried with bacon ( courgettes sliced obviously) and added to the sauce. yummy
you could try cutting in to wedges and roasting with olive oil and garlic - thats a favourite with us, and other root veg roasted .

hope this helps

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 18:35 »
I just tried one raw and they're delicious! Like a cross between a cucumber and a melon, lovely and refreshing. They'd be perfect raw in a salad.

And I just tried them sauteed in butter and delicious that way too. I like them better than normal courgettes. Just as well, cos I've got 3 plants and they seem to be working their way up to an enormous crop. I just need to figure out a way to stop them rolling them around so I can cut them in half and stuff them too .... any suggestions?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 19:01 by shokkyy »

PennyS

• My website
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 19:04 »
I just tried one raw and they're delicious! Like a cross between a cucumber and a melon, lovely and refreshing. They'd be perfect raw in a salad.

And I just tried them sauteed in butter and delicious that way too. I like them better than normal courgettes. Just as well, cos I've got 3 plants and they seem to be working their way up to an enormous crop. I just need to figure out a way to stop them rolling them around so I can cut them in half and stuff them too .... any suggestions?
A "tripod" made of cocktail sticks? 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 19:08 »
Stand them in a fairy cake/bun tin  :)

mashauk

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 23:53 »
Mine are nearly football size now!  I'm going to try slicing the top off one, scooping the inside out and stuffing it.

elibump

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 09:14 »
Decided not too - after all, if it rains its bound to ruin the frocks & tuxedos as they're nearly always dry clean.  Also the tiaras might gather dirt and be all tarnished.

sorry I'll get me coat  :(

Eli xx
Talking to the microwave,I ask you wall, what is the world coming to?
Blesséd are the cracked for tis they who let in the light!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2010, 09:17 »
Eli, It took a good few seconds for the light to go on but then........ :lol:  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 09:18 »

Just take a thin slice off the side you want to rest on the baking tray (just enough to stop it rolling around; how much depends on how steady your hands are!)  :nowink:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
onions grown from last summer

Started by puffinstuff on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 12, 2012, 00:55
by viettaclark
xx
Need a crystal ball!

Started by Janeymiddlewife on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 18:20
by tallulah
clip
Ugly bug ball

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2015, 08:46
by Anton
xx
White ball cabbage

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2013, 21:28
by fatcat1955

Page created in 0.866 seconds with 38 queries.